The Apple Thread
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Fingerprints for usernames, seriously.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Most people don't code their phone currently - does the 5S require a fingerprint unlock or is it still optional? Anyway, a 2400 dpi of a fingerprint isn't easy to get, it'd be easier to guess a password, or get a phone where the owner hasn't bothered.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This issue hits corporates harder with the whole BYOD trend that is without precedent rather than the average Joe and their Candy Crush game.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Being paranoid is using your toe, or your nipple, or your cats paw.
  • This is really a non-issue.
  • I'm not really bothered about how secure it makes my phone, I'm looking forward to not having to type my user ID and password in for purchases etc.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    So it does use the capacitance type sensor then.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    I'm looking forward to not having to type my user ID and password in for purchases etc.

Can you not set it to just ask for your PIN instead?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    I'm looking forward to not having to type my user ID and password in for purchases etc.
    Can you not set it to just ask for your PIN instead?

Just checked, yep, you can switch off either for unlock and/or for purchases.
  • You can set purchases to be done on your pin? is that an iOS 7 thing then?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    You can set purchases to be done on your pin? is that an iOS 7 thing then?

Sorry I meant ID

No, you can either use finger print or password.

I've set up the FP and it worked fine, purchased Infinity Blade 3 using it.
  • Thought so - yes, it's the saving putting the ID and password in that'll be good.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I never even think about it, I always buy on contract as I need it for business and the business tariffs are crap nowadays compared to personal. I'm effectively paying about £25 a month for unlimited calls, texts and 10GB of 4G data, when I take out the cost of the phone.
  • I fucked up with my figures, I forgot the £99 up front. It's not as far away as I thought it would be though.
  • 3 works out at £20 for the plan minus the cost of the phone, for 500 minutes (enough) 5000 texts (stupidly enough), unlimited data (although 10gb would be fine). Might rest on whether you can tether the data for me I think.
  • Nope 3 charge £5 for tethering, and employ fairly straightforward but effective means to find out when you are doing it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tethering included with EE, and I get 2 for 1 films on Scutter Wednesdays :-)

Oh and 12months pro sub to Deezer.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Nope 3 charge £5 for tethering, and employ fairly straightforward but effective means to find out when you are doing it.

Is it more effective than just keeping an eye on your data levels? I'd only use it very occasionally, basically if my iPad's out with me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Is there a post missing there?
  • Possibly mine, I originally had put that the 3 contract meant you could get the phone cheaper than buying it outright, but hadn't put in the £99 upfront amount.
  • JMW wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Nope 3 charge £5 for tethering, and employ fairly straightforward but effective means to find out when you are doing it.
    Is it more effective than just keeping an eye on your data levels? I'd only use it very occasionally, basically if my iPad's out with me.

Yes, they do a UA string check. If you browse with, say, an iPad tethered to your phone, you get a polite message suggesting you buy their tethering add-on.

Since they offer "properly" unlimited 3G broadband, they can't just do a data usage check.
  • Something to think about then although tbh I've not actually wanted to tether yet in the 18 months or so I've been on 3.
  • I didn't think I was supposed to have tethering, but the option's there. Used it once, very briefly and wasn't charged, but it does worry me that they might try and gouge me for it. That was tethering a friend's phone, though, might be worth trying with a PC. I only found out after £15 extra charges that 08 numbers cost 40p a minute, so I wouldn't put some stupid charge like £1/MB past them.

Also, I don't suppose anyone else here uses Chrome on iOS and LastPass? They've been refusing to cooperate recently and I'd like to know if it's just me.
  • Yes, they leave the option in the settings, and you can generally (in my testing) get away with a few MBs of download before it shuts your browsing down with the aforementioned message.

It's very frustrating - I'd never pay £5pm for tethering, as I only want to do it once in a blue moon; but those times it would be really useful. I'd pay an extra quid or two, and I doubt I'm the only one, so as usual their overly conservative propositions team are missing out.
  • The charging for 08 numbers is a goddamn disgrace. I know the product manager personally, who advocated that change, as well as:

- 1st minute billing, meaning you get charged for a minute whether you use 5 seconds or 59

- Ending Roam Like Home, which was an awesome little bonus for travelling to Ireland, Italy, Austria or Australia where 3 have a presence (though they've since re-instated that)

- Charging minutes for voicemail use when it used to be free

Just chipping away at the little perks, for extremely moderate returns - it's a shitty long term business policy, but the guy only thinks about his annual bonus. He's the kind of guy who has a wheelchair in his car to get to the front at a concert (srsly he does).
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Yes, they leave the option in the settings, and you can generally (in my testing) get away with a few MBs of download before it shuts your browsing down with the aforementioned message. It's very frustrating - I'd never pay £5pm for tethering, as I only want to do it once in a blue moon; but those times it would be really useful. I'd pay an extra quid or two, and I doubt I'm the only one, so as usual their overly conservative propositions team are missing out.

That seems pretty reasonable, if you need it regularly (like I might soon). If it' that little on mine, I'd still only be paying £20p/m. What network you with?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    The charging for 08 numbers is a goddamn disgrace.

Oh, I dunno, I could pay (IIRC) £6 a month more for an identical contract without those charges. Everything else bar MMS (which I don't use) is unlimited; for £15 it doesn't seem too bad.

That guy you were talking about sounds like a massive twat, however.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    The charging for 08 numbers is a goddamn disgrace. I know the product manager personally, who advocated that change, as well as:

- 1st minute billing, meaning you get charged for a minute whether you use 5 seconds or 59

- Ending Roam Like Home, which was an awesome little bonus for travelling to Ireland, Italy, Austria or Australia where 3 have a presence (though they've since re-instated that)

- Charging minutes for voicemail use when it used to be free

Just chipping away at the little perks, for extremely moderate returns - it's a shitty long term business policy, but the guy only thinks about his annual bonus. He's the kind of guy who has a wheelchair in his car to get to the front at a concert (srsly he does).

Sounds like a thundercunt.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • He is. Shit eating grin on his face as he showed off about getting to the front of a Springsteen concert as an "invalid".

ANYWAY I'm with 3, £20 contract which got me an HTC One X for free (duly sold for £350 fank u), unltd texts and data and something like 1000 minutes.

Next time I'm going SIM only, which'll get me the same for about £15, and then the £5 won't seem so bad I guess.
  • The £15 I'm on doesn't exist anymore, there's a £12.90 not enough minutes or an £18ish too many minutes now. Don't happen to know if they'll honour legacy contracts when they change a sim size do you?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!