theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Does it automake the unused folder? Dumping stuff in there automatically that hasn't been used for 6 months would be a good idea. I went through my phone and deleted 75% of the stuff after realising most of it had never even been opened.
  • No, it doesn't, I made that.  If that was a feature, I'd switch it off.  I've got apps that I rarely use, but I want to know where to find them straight away when I do need them.  It's also why I'd never like what some jailbroken users do and have it automatically sort according to what you use most.  Fuck having to look through apps to find what I want.
  • I found I could spot them quick enough, when I had them sorting by use, that I didn't really spend any longer opening an app than before. You pretty quickly got used to the rough position of things, anyway, the didn't move all that much.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm seeing a lot of Evernote users. Good stuff, love that program.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Why Andy has it filed under "fun" is anyone's guess, though.

Possibly more concerning is how his phone makes him out to be my evil twin.
  • It's under 'Fun' because until they increased the number of apps you could fit in a folder, there was no room in 'Utilities'.  Also, I tend to only use it to see what is in Penultimate on my iPad, which is usually something fun.
  • I would have just split utilities into two folders and spent ages deciding what two groups worked best, but then I'm OCD like that.
  • That would've left two many folders, because I had three full lines (the bottom line being four folders of games).  I've got the games in one folder now, just need to decide which folder is going to have its contents dispersed amongst its neighbours.  Might have some recategorisation now that 'News|Sport', which used to display in full, is now the untidy 'News|Sp...'.
  • I just had a separate page for games when I had that many. I'm also annoyed that my books and music folder can't have spaces either side of the ampersand. Can't decide if this or the one with Tempy in the Soma thread is the nerdiest conversation I've had today.

You'll be wanting to stick Newsstand in your not used folder, btw. ;)
  • Does it go in a folder now?  It didn't used to.
  • It does, yeah. One of the biggest improvements in iOS7.
  • Awesome.  Here's to iOS8 having the option to hide apps.
  • And choose which browser/email/calendar/etc. you use.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Awesome.  Here's to iOS8 having the option to hide apps.

Or, whisper it, delete them all together?
    AJ wrote:
    And choose which browser/email/calendar/etc. you use.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if iOS had a 'let me install what I want button' I'd switch back this very second. (And buy a crap load of games from the App Store.)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Needs both.  I think (although I'm happy to be told that I'm wrong) that I need to keep the Sky wi-fi app on there for it to connect to Sky wi-fi points, but I have no need to open it, ever.  The stocks app, on the other hand, or contacts, useless.

I've found another problem with notification centre.  I have a calendar which tells me if this week is a refuse week or a recycling week.  I don't have it selected to view on my phone, because I don't want it clogging up my calendar views.  However, in iOS6, when I looked at notification centre the night before, it would show me whether it was refuse or recycling the next day.  Not any more.  I'm increasingly unhappy about changes made to Calendar and Notification Centre.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Needs both.  I think (although I'm happy to be told that I'm wrong) that I need to keep the Sky wi-fi app on there for it to connect to Sky wi-fi points, but I have no need to open it, ever.

That's a good idea.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    I think (although I'm happy to be told that I'm wrong) that I need to keep the Sky wi-fi app on there for it to connect to Sky wi-fi points, but I have no need to open it, ever.

I believe you are and it should have installed a WiFi profile, I know that's how the Cloud one works. Of course, it could be that deleting the app also deletes the profile, though.
  • There's a neat little trick to turn the stocks app into a foreign currency app which, fair enough, isn't all that great but a little better than stocks.
  • I have no use for that either.
  • JMW wrote:
    There's a neat little trick to turn the stocks app into a foreign currency app which, fair enough, isn't all that great but a little better than stocks.

Pretty helpful if you want stock information though. And anyone with sensible saving strategy should.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • So, how much do I have to have in my savings to be worth getting someone to manage stocks for me?

Anyway, what I came in here for was to complain about how much apps on my iPhone have been crashing this morning. Guessing it's 'cause I've been switching rapidly between several. Anyone else getting that?
  • AJ wrote:
    So, how much do I have to have in my savings to be worth getting someone to manage stocks for me?
    Just send me a cheque for whatever you've got.
  • PayPal do? I've absolutely no idea where my cheque book is.
  • Can't say I've had any crashes, in fact one particular app which used to crash a lot now doesn't, no idea of that's the iOS 7 or the 5S switch though.
  • Fuck Paypal.

There's many levels of financial advice. You can just get an single appointment with an IFA and discuss your options. This can be free. Generally, for below 10k, the first 7k (exact cut-offs may have changed since I was in the game) will be plumped into ISAs and anything more than that put into OEICs, lower risk, lower return schemes with tax breaks (for ISAs). Some of the high street banks offer acceptable ones. NB Many IFAs really shouldn't have the I in their job title. Mainly the ones that work in the high street, but many of them are taking commission from both sides so be wary. 

Anything above 10k and you can start looking into single company investments. Stick to established players in the major markets. Vodafone was always a massively popular one a few years ago, being both stable and in a fast growing sector. Leave any fancy pants stuff like futures or emerging markets alone unless you can afford to lose the money. 

Now's probably a good time to stick a few hundred quid in bitcoin with the collapse of Silk Road. But again, that's high risk.

All just IMO. I'd seek professional advice before sticking your money anywhere.
  • I love this forum. I make a post to set up for a rant and get detailed financial advice. ;)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Successfully installed the second HDD in my Mac mini. The only problem is that Disk Utility claims it can't erase it as the disk can't be unmounted. Hmm. Oh well, it'll get hosed pretty hard when I get around to installing Windows and Linux on it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hmm, weirdly Disk Utility refused to erase my second HDD inside OS X proper, but if I booted into the recovery partition and used the Disk Utility in that, I could erase the disk no problem. I then downloaded and unzipped the Windows drivers to a USB stick, ready to install Windows 7 from DVD using an external Super Drive.

Or so I thought. It doesn't matter how many times I mash "continue", nothing happens at this point.

seconddisk_zpsfda4e045.jpg

What the hell is going on? Is it because I'm using an external drive? Am I going to have to go out and buy Windows 8 on a USB stick, or can I turn the Windows 7 DVD into an .iso?

Help me Beariwan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!