The Apple Thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have not. I’m also vaguely tempted, but I probably use headphones infrequently enough that not having to think about charging them is probably the better bet for me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fair enough. Doing more walking for health reasons and I’m using the Watch for a lot of music now. Having been initially sceptical about them, looking at reviews, I like the way they pair with all your connected devices, the auto pause remove from ear etc and, I would hope, they should have more reliable connection than my BT headphones which cut out when walking using just the watch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    From what I’ve heard, the tech is solid. Sound quality isn’t amazing, though.
  • AirPods are one of the best things they’ve come up with in years, pretty much a complete success.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve got the Bose for sitting around at home/work. Think these will be more for the fitness/going out without phone so not too worried about sound.
  • Im thinking of buying a Macbook with Ableton, which i want to use mostly for music production. Is this a good idea? Are there certain models i should look to buy/avoid? Or perhaps a price drop is expected soon? 

As someone not that good with computers it's quite hard to make sense of all the information. It's quite a lot of money to spend so i dont want to make a mistake.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I would hold off on buying for now. They are likely to upgrade the MacBook and MacBook Pro line soon.

Watch this page for updates. https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

Even if you don’t want the latest if you wait for the upgrade then you’ll be able to get a current model for less on Amazon or Jigsaw24.

I’d guess for music production you’ll want at least a Pro. In the current Gen I’d avoid the 13” as it is only dual core. You’d be better off going lower spec 15” which is quad. Guessing you won’t need to the super duper gfx for music, unless the software (Logic?) makes use of the graphics card memory in some way.
  • Ableton also runs on Windows, and it looks like the Macbooks (13 inch at least) are still running dual cores.... So yeah I woudn't advise buying a dual core machine for a CPU intensive application in this day and age.

I happen to really like the Thinkpad interface with the little nub joystick + thumb clicks for fine adjustments to knobs and parameters within music production software.

There's really no particular advantage to using Macs for audio work over Windows (or Linux probably), despite what anyone says. May have been true at one point a decade ago but not any more really.
  • One major advantage is GarageBand -> Logic.
    Unless noxy is already using ableton, or has mates who use ableton that he wants to make tunes with, GarageBand is a great way to get started. When you hit the limits of that, Logic is one of the most cost affordable pro packages around - just compare the price against the pro tiers of Cubase and ableton.

Even better was I got an NUS card cheap by registering for an online course, then the student Mac app bundle had logic, main stage and final cut in it, for the price of logic solus. They may have made it harder to exploit since then though - iirc you now need a Unidays login?
  • Windows stuff just seems to be all over the place. Ive had 4 or 5 laptops and PCs over my lifetime, all purchases recomended by others, but shit is just always going wrong. Error messages, things not working as they should, everything slowing down despite the fact i have virtually nothing downloaded or installed. My current laptop, which was supposedly a safe bet, is a fucking mess.

My brother's had his Macbook for god knows how long, and it's still fantastically functional. He's not very good with computers either.

But again, i dont know much about these things, so maybe he got lucky and i got unlucky. 

I just wanted to get something soon so that i can have a creative interest. I really need this for my sanity. I thought about getting ableton as it's the only bit of software im familiar with. i know no idea what is best.
  • Ableton and Logic are equally competent to make stuff on. Like everything, people have their preferences but they normally relate to what they started off using.

Any gpu in a mac will be fine, you will almost certainly want more Ram than the mac comes with.
    You can add this at additional cost but Apple charge a lot for it and it is very easy to upgrade yourself for a lot less money. Maybe once you select your model watch a YouTube video on how to upgrade, see if you are comfortable doing it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You can’t upgrade RAM yourself in almost any current Mac, it must be done at purchase.
  • Fucking lol. Classic Apple.
    Ignore what I said then Noxy.

Looking at the options the Ram fitted should be fine in most MacBook Pro models, but Fuck me those things are insanely expensive! You really need a 15" screen to do music production, so starting price is £2350.

I don't think it's wise to he spending over £2k when just looking at getting into a hobby.
  • I was hoping i could just spend up to 2500 and everything would be good to go.

I bought a desktop PC for music production 3 or 4 years ago and that just disintegrated into a total mess*, so i thought perhaps it's good to give a Macbook a try.

*admittedly pirate software, that might be part of the reason.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A bigger screen is nice to have, but you could always use an external monitor and drop a bit more on the specs. The major difference between the 13 and 15 inch machines aside from screen size is the addition of a discrete graphics card in the larger one. Useful for visual work, unnecessary for music.
  • The Dell XPS range is generally recognised as on a par with MacBook pros.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/xps-15-9560/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/cnx95606?ref=494_title
    This has slightly better spec other than screen resolution (which you don't need to be higher) to the base MacBook Pro 15 and is a grand cheaper.
    That grand would be much better spent on an external sound card, monitor speakers, monitor headphones and a cheap midi keyboard or drum machine.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ableton have a couple of articles on this, here:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209775305-What-computer-should-I-buy-

And one on processors, here:

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209067649-Multi-core-support-in-Live-FAQ

Interestingly, it seems that Ableton can run more threads on Mac than PC (64 vs 32) so a Mac may offer more bang for your buck anyway.

Edit: hang on, it’s more cores, not more threads, so that may only apply to super-powerful processors, perhaps.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Digging around, it looks like you don’t need anything super powerful, an i5 processor and 8 gigs of RAM should cover you, anything beyond that is a bonus for if you want to start doing really complicated stuff.
  • I was hoping i could just spend up to 2500 and everything would be good to go. I bought a desktop PC for music production 3 or 4 years ago and that just disintegrated into a total mess*, so i thought perhaps it's good to give a Macbook a try. *admittedly pirate software, that might be part of the reason.
    TBH, I think you'd be better off backing up any samples/loops you have off your current PC and doing a full reformat and reinstall of windows.

Then install Ableton - preferably a legit version, as I know I make more effort to use programs I've bought rather than pirated (Intro a €79 would be fine for starting out, but once you know the ropes you'll probably hit that channel limit and need to the Standard version at €349). If you're legit in the main app you'll also be less inclined to download cracked plugins and add to the perennial "lots of tools in the toolbox, but I don't like/I'm not inspired by any of them". Better to learn 1 thing well and learn to get what you want out of it, rather than a being uninspired by the presets in a handful of different things and lose interest.

So, I figure it's best to try to make use of what you've already got, rather than buying new gear and hoping that it works out.
  • JMW wrote:
    AirPods are one of the best things they’ve come up with in years, pretty much a complete success.

Late to this, but as “chuck in a bag for out and about” use AirPods are absolutely amazing.  I’m really, really impressed; and the sound quality strikes me as better than the bundled headphones.  I’m still using a pair of B&W P5s as my “premium” headphones as a comparator, and while the AirPods aren’t giving them any trouble they’re still good.
  • I have one slight issue with them; that the re-pairing between iPad and iPhone and even sometimes to just the iPhone later in the day isn't as magical as they'd lead you to believe, but it's no big deal. In all other respects they're better than I hoped. I charge them less than weekly, the sound is definitely better than the wired, having them on a plane recently was just so much less hassle. 
    Another big advantage for me is that a lot of what I listen to is spoken word stuff, and that's fine in just one ear and leaves me much more alert to traffic etc. on the walk to and from work. And you double the battery life.
  • Plus, I do actually still think they look stupid. Which is daft really, as they just cut out the leads which ought to look worse. I saw someone the other day though who had stuck them out at right angles. Probably deliberately, this is Brighton.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    I have one slight issue with them; that the re-pairing between iPad and iPhone and even sometimes to just the iPhone later in the day isn't as magical as they'd lead you to believe, but it's no big deal. In all other respects they're better than I hoped. I charge them less than weekly, the sound is definitely better than the wired, having them on a plane recently was just so much less hassle.  Another big advantage for me is that a lot of what I listen to is spoken word stuff, and that's fine in just one ear and leaves me much more alert to traffic etc. on the walk to and from work. And you double the battery life.
    I think that possibly the best thing about them is that if you're listening to something in stereo and you take one out, it switches to mono. That there is genius, IMO, it allows you to listen to music in one ear without missing a huge chunk of the mix.
  • Are the early model MacBook Airs worth anything second hand these days? Thinking of getting rid of mine since I’ve retired from DJing with it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apple stuff tends to hold its value better than most tech, I’d be surprised if it was worth nothing.

Alternatively, Apple do offer trade-in prices for old laptops if you’re looking to upgrade.
  • Thinking of chopping it in against an iPad. Think that would get more use in our house. We seem to have fallen out of the habit of using laptops for web browsing in favour of the convenience of smartphones.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    JMW wrote:
    AirPods are one of the best things they’ve come up with in years, pretty much a complete success.

Late to this, but as “chuck in a bag for out and about” use AirPods are absolutely amazing.  I’m really, really impressed; and the sound quality strikes me as better than the bundled headphones.  I’m still using a pair of B&W P5s as my “premium” headphones as a comparator, and while the AirPods aren’t giving them any trouble they’re still good.

Agreeeee. I got given a pair at work and would never consider spending the money for them in the past, always opting for Bluetooth earphones etc that were £20-30.

I’m sort of spoilt now, and couldn’t imagine going back. They just work so well, and require zero effort other than going to ‘bluetooth’ options now and then when going between work MacBook, iPhone, home MacBook etc.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Goddammit, you guys are making me want a pair of AirPods now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!