The Apple Thread
  • Yossarian wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    So Google phones are always listening and Google retains a database of voices linked to Google IDs in order to more effectively market to you.

Apple doesn't retain that information, voices aren't linked to accounts, there's no reason for them to be. As a result, Apple have nowhere near the potential to identify anyone anywhere in the world that Google does, not even close.

I think you are being very naive here. I’m not saying Apple do anything with that information but to think they can’t (and link it to an individual) is crazy talk.

Apple’s policy on this along with a load of other stuff is here:

https://www.apple.com/privacy/approach-to-privacy/
    When we do send information to a server, we protect your privacy by using anonymized rotating identifiers so that searches and locations can’t be traced to you personally.

Apple aren’t collecting your personal info as they don’t make money from doing so. As a result, they can go all in on the privacy stuff which makes a lot of sense from a marketing perspective as it helps to differentiate them from Android in the marketplace.

IIRC, most of the collecting Google does is for software improvement purposes, not anything that directly profits them. The only things they use for that is location and interests.

Just to clarify.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm I wrong not to give a fuck about any of the privacy stuff? Pixel 2 owner here wondering what's the worst that can happen.
  • Apple go the extra distance on these things though. Even their map software doesn't show your accurate location, or the actual things around you. Smart.
  • Apparently Pixel 2 owners get called by Just Eat whenever they mention having a take away just around tea time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how Files allows me to copy a music file from my pc to the phone.  Because as far I can see Apple are still 300 years behind everyone else and require syncing (photos and music).

Upload file to iCloud Drive. Download from there.

If you're on a Mac, you can just AirDrop things directly, which is great, but it looks like you'll need a third party piece of software to do that on PC.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Apple go the extra distance on these things though. Even their map software doesn't show your accurate location, or the actual things around you. Smart.
    Oddly enough, in New York I found Apple Maps much more reliable than Google Maps for getting around. Google Maps kept shitting the bed and throwing up errors, then complaining if my signal dropped. Apple Maps worked flawlessly the whole time I was there.

I may well make the switch to AM more permanently to see how I get on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just out of interest, has anyone. here tried downloading all of the information Google holds on them?

There was a decent article on this recently:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy
  • Yossarian wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how Files allows me to copy a music file from my pc to the phone.  Because as far I can see Apple are still 300 years behind everyone else and require syncing (photos and music).
    Upload file to iCloud Drive. Download from there. If you're on a Mac, you can just AirDrop things directly, which is great, but it looks like you'll need a third party piece of software to do that on PC.

I don't use icloud and have no interest in storing my content on a server in the US (or any server).  So that rules that out.

However, if I were to do that, say I have a folder of 10 songs, can I copy 5 of them, or does it still sync e.g. everything in a folder?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Just out of interest, has anyone. here tried downloading all of the information Google holds on them? There was a decent article on this recently: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy

I've been saying this for years about the amount of stuff that is being stored and the level of tracking.  My daughter always thought I was mad when I explained all the risks of social media until I showed her this.

Anyone who thinks everything they do with technology isn't being recorded somewhere just hasn't thought about it enough.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I believe you can download what you choose to download in a similar manner to Dropbox.

I've been playing around with Airdop a bit too, I hadn't used it much before as I've been happy syncing with iTunes. It does seem you can AirDrop audio files directly into VLC and presumably any other audio player you might have.

Seems like getting something which allows you to do this from PC plus an audio player which covers OGG and FLAC may resolve a lot of your concerns.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What risks? Feel like I'm missing something dreadful here.
  • [Am] I wrong not to give a fuck about any of the privacy stuff? Pixel 2 owner here wondering what's the worst that can happen.

Not particularly. If you ask me, it's more of a long term concern for humanity than something that's a real issue right now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What risks? Feel like I'm missing something dreadful here.
    Nobody has used the information for anything hugely nefarious yet (beyond attempts to swing elections to Trump and Brexit which may or may not have been successful in themselves), but the fact that this information about you exists in an easily accessible place means that the potential is always there for it to be used against you.

It may never happen, but there is a risk that it will.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Just out of interest, has anyone. here tried downloading all of the information Google holds on them? There was a decent article on this recently: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/28/all-the-data-facebook-google-has-on-you-privacy

That's exactly what I suspected them to have, but it's nice to have it confirmed, so the odd time I avoid letting them have something I know I'm not just being paranoid. Good link, thanks.
  • What would be interesting is to know what calculations they have made about you based on that data, what the data/calculated data was used for, and who they have sold it to.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There is an advertising profile you can look at as well as a list of what ads you’ve seen.

FWIW, I don’t think they sell the info to people directly, they offer up the advertising tools and reach your chosen demographics on your behalf, though I could be missing something.
  • Ah but doesn't it make life so much easier? Google know where I live, where I work, and how I get there. And so they let me know if it's busy on the roads and I should leave early.

I'm fine with the tradeoff.
  • They probably also know the next thing you are going to search for.  They are the AI equivalent of Derren Brown.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Ah but doesn't it make life so much easier? Google know where I live, where I work, and how I get there. And so they let me know if it's busy on the roads and I should leave early.

I'm fine with the tradeoff.

It’s not a trade off. This stuff can be offered without a company building up gigabytes of personal information which can be traced back to you personally, Apple already do it. You’re giving them all this information in addition to what they need in order to offer these services.
  • I managed to copy the latest Kermode podcast mp3 file from the PC to the phone by dragging the music file on to phone in itunes.  So that's a start and better than it used to be.

Not sure what happens if I try an album but it's almost caught up to 2010 standards.
  • Since installing itunes, I unplugged the phone and reconnected it.  W10 popped up a 'installing iphone' message - must be related to installing itunes because it's never done that before.

And now the PC is not seeing the phone.

lol'tastic.

I have to choose from three things to moan about now: 1) iphone, 2) itunes, 3) w10.  I know 2) and 3) are crap already and not something I would use on my own pc.  I suspect they have colluded to remove the one piece of success I've had today :-)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Looks like you just need to turn on ‘manually manage music’ in iTunes, according to this:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-add-songs-to-iphone-from-a-computer
  • Yup, that's what did it.  I think it only used to be videos but I could be wrong.

After a reboot, itunes sees the phone but w10 doesn't so I can't manually drag my photos off it.

Jeez.
  • Is it still red? At least there's that.
  • We need a picture.  All the recent discussion might be overidden in an instant.
  • Yeah, that's pretty nice.  But what are you going to do for a case?  Hopefully a transparent one.
  • Transparent gel case for the back and sides to make it grippy. £5.

I don't do screen protectors.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Yossarian don’t know if we’ve discussed this, but have you bought AirPods? Just considering a purchase.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!