The Apple Thread
  • True.

Edit: Damn it.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I was in the Meadowhall apple store the other day.  I found it to be a speedy and courteous experience as I bought my new MASSIVE iPad that no longer needs my non existent finger prints to work.  Face ID is just so the best.
  • What’s up with Apple keyboards? Was wanting to buy one but they don’t seem to do the wired ones anymore. And they’re wanting £120 full a full size wireless one. Madness.
    Any recommends for a decent alternative? I’ve got pretty used to using the apple keyboards, so not sure about going back to chunky keys. Can be wired or not.
  • I think the full size ones can be wired, you just leave the charge cable plugged into the back (IIRC).

Other option is see if you can get a secondhand last hen wired one. Every keyboard I’ve used has been garbage after using Apple keyboards for 20+ years...
  • I don’t mind it not being wired. Was just after the cheaper option. Bit cheeky that they’ve discontinued the wired ones when the other options are so expensive.
    Thought I’d be able to get like a reconditioned old one but people are selling those on eBay for high prices too.
    The magic keyboard is pretty good, been using one at work for a while. Just was pretty surprised to see how much they cost!
  • weadre wrote:
    What’s up with Apple keyboards? Was wanting to buy one but they don’t seem to do the wired ones anymore. And they’re wanting £120 full a full size wireless one. Madness.
    Any recommends for a decent alternative? I’ve got pretty used to using the apple keyboards, so not sure about going back to chunky keys. Can be wired or not.

Hello.
  • I can give a great many recommendos for proper keyboards, being one of those nerds who's into the hobby. £120 would get you something far better than whatever Apple is offering (keyfeel preference notwithstanding..), but if you want to be spending less than that let me know.

My current love is the Leopold electrostatic capacitive boards which are totally superb, but also totally expensive..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I love to see niche geekery in action.
  • There's this thing - https://kono.store/products/hexgears-x-1-mechanical-keyboard?variant=12342962258020
    Which might be alright, not used those switches myself as I'm all about the chunky longer travel keys (worth pointing out that with 'mechanical' switches you only have to press half-way for presses to be registered, so you can type very lightly and dance across the keys).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Who was it looking for a Mac mini? Mine is still available if people are keen.

On the topic of Mac minis, the new one in the same sexy black as the iMac Pro looks phenomenal. The only issue is the storage, the base model comes with a 128GB SSD. To get one that'd have enough space for my life time's worth of digital gubbins, I'd have to double the price. Maybe I can justify one as a second machine...
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Can they be upgraded with additional storage?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The new one? Not sure. It's pictured on the main Apple website with the bottom off (oo-er), but I don't know if the end user can open it up and mess with the innards like my old silver one.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d be surprised if it can, TBH. Apple seem to have been moving away from that.

Would it not make more sense just to add an external drive?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, my Mum has a Mac mini, too, but hers is slightly newer and the unscrewable bottom is ununscrewable. Moronic decision on Apple's part.

You could just get an external USB HDD, but that'd spoil the sexiness of the unit. ;) Talking of sexy, I just saw the dark mode in OS X Mojave. Phwoar. Be still my beating heart.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dark mode is lovely.
  • AJ wrote:
    What is dark mode?

You turn off the big light when looking at your Mac.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A black and grey reskin of OSX.

WebKit-code-references-suggest-dark-mode-coming-to-macOS-10.14-iphonefirmware-com-1.png
  • Yossarian wrote:
    A black and grey reskin of OSX

A cheesy ’90s teenage bedroom ‘l33t haxx0r’ throwback reskin of OS X.
  • poprock wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    A black and grey reskin of OSX

A cheesy ’90s teenage bedroom ‘l33t haxx0r’ throwback reskin of OS X.

Truth.

(Although I use the dark options on all my CC UIs as I find it aids colour perception and correction - so I haven’t a leg to stand on here.)

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Every last dev at work uses white text on a black background. Those 90s teenagers have grown up and become fully functioning professionals.
  • It’s a shame they got rid of the blue background mode in MS Office (also secret doom and pinball games). You can bodge to a working ish version of it but it’s not satisfying or super reliable.
  • Ooh, they hit the goth slider pretty hard on that skin. I like a dark UI myself, but it needs just an edge of colour in there. Still, nice to see there finally is one.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Every last dev at work uses white text on a black background. Those 90s teenagers have grown up and become fully functioning professionals.

It's generally believed that it's easier to read code that way; I certainly find it easier. Many professional tools have it as their default. Light grey on dark grey is current, probably due to LCD screens; I'm expecting medium to light grey on black to become popular as OLED screens start appearing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Two problems with dark mode:

It only works if the app has programmed it into all their interface (I’m looking at you Office)

Mail looks crap and emails with white backgrounds look ridiculously bright in comparison. It’s like having a HDR light bloom shining in your face.

What it is good for us not going full screen and using pro apps that have had dark modes for a while. The status bar and finder are a better fit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The dark status bar was available in Sierra (possibly High).
  • Yeah I've been rocking dark status bar and dock for a while now.
  • Dark mode makes a lot of sense in darker viewing situations with poor or no bias lighting, older more glaringly white UIs are much harder to tolerate now, personally.
  • I wish this forum had a dark mode....
  • Try the next gen thread.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!