The Apple Thread
  • Picking up my re-powered 6S tonight.  Will be interesting to see what effect a new battery combined with iOS 12 has.

I've made a conscious decision to step away from so called "cutting edge" now.  The new phones don't offer me anything but a bigger screen.

x
  • I’ve got a 6, which I bought outright at launch. If anything, I want a smaller screen, not a bigger one, so the latest phone announcements from Apple not only did nothing for me, they actively pissed me off; my mate's wife needs to replace her phone soon, and will likely move away from Apple for the first time in years, because she doesn’t want to go any bigger than the 4” screen she has now.

I’d bite Apple’s hand off for a 2.5-3” screened iPhone.
  • Thats kind of why i may avoid upgrading next month. 

I have the SE, and its perfectly sized. I don't want bigger.
  • Yeah. The big screen thing is something I don't get. I have an iPhone 6, and that's as big as I'd want to go.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Yup. SE is as big as I want.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I find small phones incredibly disconcerting now I’m used to a larger screen. I could never go back.
  • Aye, that's perfectly normal.
  • If you use your phone for anything other than calls and texts, a small screen is shit.
  • One thing I’ll say is that the Xs is not actually much bigger than some of the older iPhones. Removing the top and bottom bands makes a big difference.

I would probably have said the same about big being detrimental but I found using my partners Samsung compared with my SE was so much more pleasant. The roominess on the screen and the reduced scrolling are sort of “invisible” benefits you only “get” when you go between phones.

I think it’s worth thinking about the screen because it’s your main point of interaction (other than your hands) and under estimating how important making that comfortable is too easy to do. (Obviously don’t give yourself wrist damage through having a phone you can’t hold comfortably too!)

• Andy wrote:
    my mate's wife needs to replace her phone soon, and will likely move away from Apple for the first time in years, because she doesn’t want to go any bigger than the 4” screen she has now.

She should grab an SE while they're still available.

Unless you want to go for that 2.5" one with a crap battery, there is literally no Android phone available under 4.5".
  • If you use your phone for anything other than calls and texts, a small screen is shit.

I'd argue that having a small screen phone is actually a good reason to stop doing all that extra bullshit.

"I'm crossing a road now.  Wonder what's on Facebook since the last time I checked 10 seconds ago.  Oh now I remember, I have a small screen and a life.  I'll look ahead and check for traffic instead."

x
  • I find a small screen fine for the web. Since websites often have a menu button in the header, I actually find larger screens more inconvenient.
  • I think it’s worth thinking about the screen because it’s your main point of interaction (other than your hands) and under estimating how important making that comfortable is too easy to do.

Comfort is exactly why I want a smaller screen. I’m having to now consciously think about how I hold my phone, because I’ve developed a strain in the fourth finger of my right hand from the way I have to hold the phone. Even if the new stupid-named, stupiderly-specced iPhones are only slightly larger than my 6, that’s moving into real discomfort.

For the kind of thing I use my phone for, I don’t need or want a big screen. I’ve got a tablet, games consoles and a broken desktop for those things that warrant a bigger screen. The size of my phone screen bugs me every time I use it.

You may think it’s shit, Dante, but some of us think it’s shit that the big companies only seem to be catering to those people who want to carry a flatscreen TV in their pocket.
  • What you're saying is that you don't use your phone for those other things, so my comment stands perfectly fine.
  • Well, that kinda depends. I use my phone for a variety of things beyond calling and texting, but don’t feel that doing them on a smaller screen would be shit. So, your comment may stand but, even if it’s solidly upright, it was still pointless. Thanks, though.
  • These things generally go in cycles. It’s cool to make screens as big as possible, then it becomes cool to make the device as small as possible, then it becomes cool to have a bigger screen again because of new higher definition screens, then it becomes cool to have tiny pocket sized gadgets again, etc etc.

I never want a phone that’s too big for my pocket. Nor do I want a phone with a screen I can’t work one-handed. I already have trouble reaching the whole keyboard width on an iPhone 8, so I know I’m already past the comfortable limit. I’d like my next one a bit smaller, when the time comes.
  • Andy wrote:
    Well, that kinda depends. I use my phone for a variety of things beyond calling and texting, but don’t feel that doing them on a smaller screen would be shit. So, your comment may stand but, even if it’s solidly upright, it was still pointless. Thanks, though.

Kindly fuck off
  • No need for that Dante. I don't often agree with Andy, but his reply to your blanket statement was perfectly valid.
  • Andy wrote:
    I think it’s worth thinking about the screen because it’s your main point of interaction (other than your hands) and under estimating how important making that comfortable is too easy to do.

Comfort is exactly why I want a smaller screen. I’m having to now consciously think about how I hold my phone, because I’ve developed a strain in the fourth finger of my right hand from the way I have to hold the phone. Even if the new stupid-named, stupiderly-specced iPhones are only slightly larger than my 6, that’s moving into real discomfort.

For the kind of thing I use my phone for, I don’t need or want a big screen. I’ve got a tablet, games consoles and a broken desktop for those things that warrant a bigger screen. The size of my phone screen bugs me every time I use it.

You may think it’s shit, Dante, but some of us think it’s shit that the big companies only seem to be catering to those people who want to carry a flatscreen TV in their pocket.

It’s an odd trend that has seen the rise of handles on the back of phones. They’re ugly as sin but might be worth investing in. My partner moved to that way (big screen/back of the phone handle) to alleviate holding trickiness.

• iPhone 3G size was the best. I really don’t want or need it any bigger. The 6S screen isn’t even that big by current standards and I’ve still got to reposition it slightly in my hand to reach my thumb across to the top corner.

Not the end of the world I appreciate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just use my phone with two hands. It’s no great hardship.
  • It's a ball ache for me. Particularly when I don't have both hands free.

I'm pretty sure the size of the first few iPhones were what they were because Jobs said they had to be usable with one hand.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I wouldn’t suggest using your testicles instead.
  • That really is ‘holding it wrong’
  • I'm now sat here trying to decide if the ability to hold things with your balls would be a welcome addition or not.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’d be great for getting small amounts of drugs past security checkpoints. Assuming only you had the ability.
  • AJ wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the size of the first few iPhones were what they were because Jobs said they had to be usable with one hand.

Yep. This is why we miss Jobs’ influence on Apple. Making decisions for a reason instead of following trends.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m pretty sure that the reason now would be ‘because that’s what customers want’. As AJ noted, there aren’t any Android phones with small screens any more. If phone manufacturers can’t service a niche with Android, that pretty much suggests that the niche is tiny.
  • There is that new android palm phone which is tiny.
  • g.man wrote:
    No need for that Dante. I don't often agree with Andy, but his reply to your blanket statement was perfectly valid.

Na, the second half of the post I quoted was Andy being a dickbag and he can fuck off with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!