Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    New iMac is basically a monitor. Lump on the back has gone.
  • It’s an iPad with a stand.
  • Fuck all that new remote for ATV at long fucking last
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah that looks good. Can you buy it separately?
  • All that stuff looks ace. Been holding out for a new iMac and that yellow one will go perfectly in my office.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The m1 Mac is not hype. I have the Mac Mini and it is perfect as a fast quiet computer for most use cases outside pro-video, 3D and games (though Apple Arcade stuff obviously runs well). You also don’t need the extra memory and can get cheaper SSD storage externally. I would personally go base model if I was buying.
  • If they are doing the same thing they do re models.
    Never go base model.
    The middle spec model usually gives you an extra couple of years of usability.

I haven’t looked at the specs so i could be very wrong.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Hello, it me, former Apple convert.

Missus does hand illustration and is wanting to go digital, has no clue about the finer details of tech ie screens & smart pens, etc. Me? I follow tech stuff so know all about the mighty M1 chip etc, and what's been announced today.

So, all I need to know is: this new ipad Pro & something like procreate, is there anything better on the market? I've told her they announced new ipads but I'm just unsure, the screens on the MS Surface range, or Samsung's just aren't close, are they? In terms of digital art creation via stylus.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Things are very different with the M1 - you don't need the expensive RAM for example. and SSD through thunderbolt is very fast, you can also take that SSD to the next machine.

Actually, I've just looked and they aren't even offering the RAM, all you are getting are some more ports, Gigabit Ethernet and Touch ID on the keyboard for £200 more, for another £200 on top of that you get 256gb of storage. If this was a laptop then you could consider it, but you could get 2tb of SSD for that £200.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @gav - not for art no. The Pencil still wins out for responsiveness. The Surface has got close, but the design options on the iPad are much better.

Procreate, Affinity Designer (amazing mix of vector and raster tools and far cheaper than the big boys), Affinity photo (think it won design app of the year a few years ago).

You don't technically need the pro, but the promotion display is nicer and if you go for the new one, you get Thunderbolt, which is gonna be better for any local file transfer.
  • Hello, it me, former Apple convert. Missus does hand illustration and is wanting to go digital, has no clue about the finer details of tech ie screens & smart pens, etc. Me? I follow tech stuff so know all about the mighty M1 chip etc, and what's been announced today. So, all I need to know is: this new ipad Pro & something like procreate, is there anything better on the market? I've told her they announced new ipads but I'm just unsure, the screens on the MS Surface range, or Samsung's just aren't close, are they? In terms of digital art creation via stylus.
    ipad is the best. Surface has got loads of issues with the stylus, software compatibility etc. Don't know about Samsung.

By 'loads of issues' I just mean it's known to be a bit flaky sometimes. There's a persistent issue with the stroke smoothness which has been going on for years and I don't know if they've ever fixed it. The Apple pencil is great. 

Any pencil compatible iPad will do. iPad Air is the best bang for buck I think. The link below is also very decent to lessen the pain going from traditional to digital. Makes it less like drawing on glass and closer to the grain of paper.
    https://paperlike.com/#knqg8qlprd-
  • Okay, perfect. I'm just super skeptical of all the "small business" tiktoks she shows me where everything is Apple and perfect and presumably never goes wrong ever ever. She's fearful of losing the tactile feeling of pen on paper which is all she knows so it needs to be the best for responsiveness. Just didn't really know where the competitors stood.

(I'm the IT support as you can imagine)

Cheers!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If she likes the feel of paper, also check out: https://paperlike.com/#knqgchhoux- 

Drawing on an iPad is not exactly like paper, so takes a bit of getting used to. This is supposed to be pretty good, but can compromise the image quality a bit. A lot of reviews around on it, but try to avoid the sponsored ones, they were quite prolific when it first came out.
  • I use my current iPad Pro and - though I’m stuck in the ecosystem anyway - every other tablet or hybrid or whatever just isn’t anywhere near as good as a pro and a pencil.  You’ll pay a premium once it’s all added up - srsly look at the cost of that magic keyboard cover (but again, they’re great) but they last an age and are almost flawless for stuff like illustration and some design stuff too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've got rid of my MacBook. iPad with keyboard and the pencil is more than good enough for a lot of things.
  • The paperlike ads were absolutely everywhere for a while. And yeah some of the general iPad and Pencil chat is overdone. It's the absolute best thing I've tried though, and I've been through a lot of styluses over the years. Even beats the Wacom desktop experience imo.
  • That paperlike thing might be a great "stabiliser wheels" thing for her. Brilliant. Cheers for that Boris.

And thanks lads. Can be a bit more confidently assertive in my advice now lololol
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh and one more thing while I'm at it, if she doesn't like the Paperlike idea, this is also helpful for drawing on glass. It allows your drawing hand to slide more easily across the surface, especially when trying to draw curves freehand. It looks silly, but it works:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parblo-Two-Finger-Graphics-Drawing-Tracing/dp/B018VASU3O/ref=asc_df_B018VASU3O/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310665672682&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8315505820594183515&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006656&hvtargid=pla-379009293084&psc=1 

There could be better versions, this was just he first one that came up in Google.
  • I have to wear something similar to that to hide that horrible wound I have from the acid burn last summer but mine covers half my arm.  Feels a bit silly but helps stop the skin cancer so I’m all in.
  • I’ve a pro with pro create which I use for sketching my graffiti and it’s amazing. The pencil is flawless.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Just for an alternative view on the pens - I liked the Surface one but I found the weight was sometimes off putting for drawing. I can't speak for the Apple stuff (although I have heard its best in class) but I have  Samsung S6 lite which I use for note taking and I've found the simple Samsung Stylus really nice and easy to use. I do many a doodles and it works pretty good (all the S6 lite isnt the most powerful tablet going) My dad picked up the S7 model and the pen works even better there. So certainly think Samsung might be worth a look.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I bought the S7+ and only use it for Slay the Spire. Pen works well. Sorry.
  • Birdorf wrote:
    I bought the S7+ and only use it for Slay the Spire. Pen works well. Sorry.

You should have just got a Switch like me :) . Despite a full memory of solid games, it might as well be called a Slay the Spire edition.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Finally upgraded. Got myself an iPhone 12 Pro. Wasn’t about to be beaten by my wife who was getting one, as I’ve always had a better phone than her, so I ordered as soon as she did. We have same phone now. 

Fuck me, it’s only after using this for a bit I’ve realised how slow my iPhone 8 was. 

But having problems signing into Apple ID and Hotmail. Might sort itself out by tomorrow.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It will. Apple ID can get stuck in a loop sometimes. Usual switch off and switch on again.
  • Would anyone like to buy an iPhone 12 Mini?  64GB Product Red version.  99% battery health.  In perfect condition - I can't see a mark on it.

Also comes with a gel case and a 20W charging plug.

£450 please... or a PS5 / Xbox Series X if you have one spare

x
  • Disappointed in those new iMacs. Was looking to upgrade my 2015 model for music production. M1 and only 16GB RAM doesn’t seem enough to me regardless of the wonder performance of the M1, which does seem impressive, that’s not enough RAM I suspect. I have 16GB RAM today and need to manage things actively to ensure performance (freezing audio tracks etc.). Will hold out for an M2 version with 32 GB RAM I think. They look nice though, so that’s a thing.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Probably worth waiting if you can, but from the sounds of things, the new M1 Macs are pretty beastly for music production if the software has been made to take advantage of the new architecture.

https://www.musictech.net/reviews/studio-recording-gear/review-apple-m1-macbook-pro/
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve always had a 16gb MacBook Pro. Switched to the M1 with 8gb and it is faster. I’d change your thinking about this chipset. 16gb is fine and your SSD will be used as swap memory because the SSD is stupid fast. Don’t worry about swap memory either. It won’t negatively affect your SSD performance. But yes the M2 or M1x will be faster and I’d at least wait for WWDC in June.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!