Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Aye the Sony daps have emerged as very nice bits of kit; the top end one is very pricey but equally well specced.  Fuck an Astell & Kern
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That leather one from a couple of years back with the extra big headphone hole was a very desirable bit of kit. I undertsand them not wanting to cannibalise their own markets but there's very little stopping them from adding the circuitry to a mobile phone and I wish they would
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Nah, no room for all the bits and bobs.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You can either pack less, or get a bigger suitcase??

Maybe a separate unit for the optional magic rocks????
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So the NW-A105 sounds great.  Even greater once I'd played with the euqaliser and various settings...

...which is a good job, because otherwise there is so much wrong with it!

- When in Bluetooth mode, equaliser goes right out the window.  It literally ignores it and tells you so on the screen too.  If you want it to sound how you want it to sound, then wired is your only way.

- The battery life, which I'd heard about in reviews, really is incredibly terrible.  I've had it on charge for 4 hours and it's still only on 63%.  Simply playing music back stops it from charging.

- There's a Sytem update downloading.  After an hour the download s on 33%.  FUCKING WHAT?

- It's Blummin' QUIET!!  WHY?!

x
  • Classic Sony. Years back I had (have still got somewhere) the Sony NW-HD3. At the time it could’ve been an iPod killer. 20gb hard drive in a small form factor, decent battery life, good sound. But could you put mp3s on it? No. You had to convert to ATRAC. Could you do it easily? No, you had to use the godawful Sonicstage software and the shit proprietary cable for both charging and data transfer.

Was so disappointed, still got loads of use out of it but it could’ve been so much better.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Man, I keep going around in circles about new amp. Cost is one thing, height restriction is quite another.

Slim is hard to find, apparently.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  •  - When in Bluetooth mode, equaliser goes right out the window.  It literally ignores it and tells you so on the screen too.  If you want it to sound how you want it to sound, then wired is your only way.

x

Solved by the downloading of Poweramp, which of course has it's own excellent equalizer and does try to tell the user what they want.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Classic Sony. Years back I had (have still got somewhere) the Sony NW-HD3. At the time it could’ve been an iPod killer. 20gb hard drive in a small form factor, decent battery life, good sound. But could you put mp3s on it? No. You had to convert to ATRAC. Could you do it easily? No, you had to use the godawful Sonicstage software and the shit proprietary cable for both charging and data transfer. Was so disappointed, still got loads of use out of it but it could’ve been so much better.

This is something about Sony I never understood. Their professional stuff is brilliant and their consumer stuff is shocking. The pro equivalent of SonicStage is Sony SoundForge and for final mastering it's bloody brilliant, can output to every file format known to man and a few known only to the Borg, and was simple as hell to use. But some (most) of their consumer software is just terrible
  • https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/930683110668130/

Thoughts? NAD integrated amp for $240
  • https://www.whathifi.com/nad/c316bee/review

I mean, it'll be powering some used bookshelf cerwin Vegas, so I would have thought there's limits to how much it could get out of them.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love NAD kit, used used a 3130 for years, almost as old as me, pots still perfect, sounds great. The BEE you mention above was raved about upon release, look it over feel the pots for scratches, but in my experience they're bulletproof, so yeah drop on it
  • That's my thought. All reviews seem positive except what Hifi. All within reaskn for the price point
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Even if their build quality had gone downhill in recent years, not saying it has I don't know how highly NAD are rated nowadays but some firms have slipped, that was from a time when they were still at the top of their price bracket. Roksan and NAD were my two faves in that slot
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    NAD is solid, go NAD.
  • Picking up tonight. I'll still have to use my pre amp, but I might go bargain hunting for a fun replacement for that later.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    For a phono stage I'd recommend ProJect as much as I'd recommend their turntables, which is a lot. Surprised it doesn't have one, most NADs I've used have, with huge jumpers joining the two stages
  • I assume because it's their budget jobbie.

Funny you say project. Got my eye on one theirs. Right price. Step up from what I have and looks good.
  • I know they are expensive but have you thought of the Bluesound Powernode 2, amp streamer in one and slim to boot plus you can connect your bookshelf speakers. Might struggle to access the controls on top though!

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-powernode-2i

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Alternatively just plug a chromecast audio into the back of the amp you've just picked up
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Alternatively just plug a chromecast audio into the back of the amp you've just picked up

That is a good idea. (Now to see if I kept my cc audio.)

I already do chromecast through TV.
  • Wins all round. Haven't finished set up, but...

Amp is in mint condition. Dude had not opened manual or remote at all. All still in box and packaging. Gave me solid speaker cables too, even though I don't need them.

Fits perfectly In space. Found chromecast audio.

Had spares of cables I needed.

Now it just needs to sound good.
  • Facewon wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:

That is a good idea. (Now to see if I kept my cc audio.)

I already do chromecast through TV.

Sorry I was thinking about your Tidal account and lossless audio which (and I may be wrong here) I don’t think Bluetooth has the bandwidth to deal with.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think Chromecast audio (when sending over BT) using aptx (not sure in truth) which is far better quality than normal and should be standard by the time it came out. Also if it owrk anything like a google home then it doesn't actually stream from the phone connectiion, it has it's own and just receives links etc from the phone. eg if I cast a podcast from my phone to my home, and turn my phone conections off the podcast continues to play to completion (sometimes the next one as well) but then stops working as it doesn;t get an instruction on which podcast to play next
  • Set up. Mostly.

Not fully tested with volume etc because it's 5am.

Chromecast audio set up, works. Sounds fine. Suspect it'd require dumb a/b testing to decide it loses much.

Remote battery isn't playing nice, and it's a fucker to open, so that's for later.

Preamp doesnt seem to come through. May have unplugged wrong cables.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Is it set correctly to moving manbet or moving coil???

edit: actually that would only be a phase shift so not really relevant, ignore me
  • PRO1387 Pro2 Riaa Phono Preamp with AUX Preamp with AUX Input a-1387 Phono Amplitude Gain: 40Db (@1Khz), AUX Amplitude Gain: 6Db https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07CN8MVLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_O9WoEb3PR4MC4

If this isn't exactly what I have it's near identical.

Could be a wattage thing. (if it's not as simple as having switch on wrong way.)

Had it because old amp didn't have phono, so it was a switcher. Amp and record player went through it.

Now I'm just leaving record player in with cable going to nad. And nothing in the AUX slot on the pre amp.

Hmmm.

(Tbh, looking at the rcas I used, it could be them. They're older than me.)

Here is the bad boy by the way. Not that pics help. The matte black makes it so stealth.

OvyeZrY.jpg
  • Also, if weight implies quality, it's winning. Fucking heavy for size.
  • https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/products/pro-ject-record-box-e-phono-preamplifier

This is what I want to get to replace the other switcher/pre-amp.

I'm looking at the back thinking it does all that I want, and is not a switcher. It just literally sits between the record player and amp.

All the stuff about Windows/Mac is just bonus if I wanted to usb it into my laptop for instance, correct?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!