Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If you can justify the cost I'd get a letherman wave or similar.

leatherman-wave-black.jpg
  • I've had a Leatherman for around 15 years now.  Quality bit of kit.  Don't think I'd fancy sticking it near a plug socket like in the bottom pic though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve got one of these on my key ring:

https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools/Solid-State/Shard-Keychain-Tool_22-01769

Between that and the hook knife that Moto sent me ages ago, I’m pretty much covered, plus it all fits in my pocket and won’t be taken off me by airport security.
  • Yeah, I looked at things from Leatherman and Gerber, but none came near the sweet spot of tools I'd use against size that the Compact hits.

Plus, they were all a bit too DIY like and manly, if I'm honest. Things I particularly wanted were bottle opener, corkscrew, tweezers, toothpick, nail file and (obviously) knife. Other stuff if just a bonus, really.

I've literally just got myself a little Rambler, for those times when I don't want to carry something full-size. It's basically just a little grooming kit with a bottle opener.

jUT2vXr.jpg?1
  • A word on Leathermans Leathermen some models in the Leatherman range; some of them have a locking system on the blade which makes them technically illegal to carry around in the UK without reasonable excuse.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Would "there well smart, and make me feel manly" work?
  • @Andy You might know this: the wording on the governments "this is what the law says" site suggests that it would be technically illegal to carry one of those Swiss Army Cards since, although the knife is absolutely tiny, it isn't folding. Is that correct?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Folding knives are legal to carry as long as the blade is below a certain length, lock knives aren’t.
  • Yes, 3", though I've never been sure if that's length of the blade itself or the cutting edge. But this is a tiny, sheathed fixed blade one which it seems mad to be illegal to carry, considering some of the things you can.

H8I0lLF.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not sure on that one.

The kit does look useful, though. I’m considering ordering on myself. I can never find tweezers when I want them.
  • Three pale ales from a new beer shop in Catford.  Didn't realise one of them is <0.5% until I got home.  Turns out it still goes nicely with some dry roasted peanuts.
  • AJ wrote:
    Is that correct?
    Technically. But, the exemptions are intended to encourage common sense, and it wouldn’t be in the spirit of the law to charge anyone with that.

AJ wrote:
    Yes, 3", though I've never been sure if that's length of the blade itself or the cutting edge.
    It’s the cutting edge. If the blade is 2.5 inches long, but sharpened on both sides, it’s no longer exempt.
  • Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated.

I thought it'd be unlikely to get charged for carrying the little blade, I just find the technicalities of law interesting and amusing sometimes. For instance, I've been intending to find out if the common practice of entering a false billing address in order to buy from a foreign store is technically fraud or not.
  • Are you suggesting I don't live at 1 Microsoft Way?
  • AJ wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated. I thought it'd be unlikely to get charged for carrying the little blade, I just find the technicalities of law interesting and amusing sometimes. For instance, I've been intending to find out if the common practice of entering a false billing address in order to buy from a foreign store is technically fraud or not.

Yeesh. Well, first of all, you’ve got to decide where the locus is. If it’s where the victim is, then it’s going to depend on the laws of each of the countries you’re buying from.

In Scotland, Fraud is the use of deception to cause someone to do something they wouldn’t have done otherwise, in order for you to gain an advantage or cause them loss. Now, entering a false billing address (or, in some cases, simply saying that you are in another country) is deception, and you are gaining an advantage (getting something cheaper) so the question would be over whether you have caused the seller to do something they wouldn’t have done otherwise (they would sell the thing to you, they would sell the thing at that price, but they would not sell the thing to you at that price) and whether or not they have lost financially (they have not taken as much money as they would have if you’d been honest, but they are willing to sell the thing at that price to others).

It strikes me that it’s one for the court to decide.

You’re right about the ways laws are written, though. In general, it strikes me that they are written in such a way as to make sure the behaviour it is intended to make illegal will be captured in the definition, but that means that other behaviour may fall within that legal definition, but outwith the spirit of the law.

A general example I can think of just now is this; when the Road Traffic Acts were written, I don’t think they were intended to criminalise toddlers’ electric cars (which didn’t exist at the time). But it’s difficult to write legal definitions that distinguish between relatively harmless toys, and potentially dangerous / nuisance vehicles.
  • Fucking hell, I wasn't expecting an answer to that one, I just thought it an interesting example of the kind of stuff that piques my curiosity. Hell, I didn't even think it'd be something within the remit of stuff you needed to know. Awesome of you to respond in such detail, though, thanks.

I'd come across the traffic laws thing before; it applies to mobility scooters, if I'm not mistaken. It hadn't occurred to me about the traffic laws applying to children's electric cars, that's a cool point.
  • Andy wrote:
    DQNkU3xX4AEqD63.jpg The toy shop next door to my flat is closing down today, they had this at more than 25% off. I ignored it this morning, but it’s eaten away at me all day. Needless to say, I folded like a cheap suit.

I got this last year for my birthday. We should have a race. 

In other news, today I got a new phone. Nokia 6720 classic. 2009 build so it's semi functional with text and sms and works on the local network still. 

Trying to heavily curtail my internet addiction this year.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Shwood Francis', titanium. They look very nice.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Vela wrote:

Have you built it yet? I built mine the other week, really enjoyed it.
  • Meanwhile...

DU0f1N5W0AUXxBQ.jpg

It’s Webbins & Frantic, Lego edition.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That doesn’t look anything like the box.
  • Quite.

If you’re interested in the Porsche build, I am planning to make a full video of all the photos I took but, in the mean time, they’re divided between a few tweets, starting here.
  • Next Lego supercar will be Bugatti Chiron. Oh my aching wallet.
  • Andy wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Have you built it yet? I built mine the other week, really enjoyed it.

Sadly not yet. Last year was hectic. Zelda first half, then child no 2 in September.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Ah well, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it whenever you get to it.
  • What Remains of Edith Finch just arrived! Really looking forward to this, I know basically nothing about it.

xWn7VdT.jpg?1
    Reversible cover in all it's glory.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    IKEA foldaway tray £7

Light but sturdy, this is an ideal height for the beanbag dweller or chair swiveler.  Has a tablet friendly rear trench with a convenient cable hole.  

vHXh2on.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Surprised you need a jobby knife drinking that stuff.
  • A fairly mashed Coomber tapedeck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!