Trials Rising - February 2019
  • I've been working through the platinum medals and one of the ones I got this weekend was medieval flair, which is a medium track. The start is a pivoted ramp that you land on, which I thought was bullshit to start, but I think it teaches a lesson about how to land with forward rather than downward momentum. Smart stuff.
  • I need the shortcut really.  My best runs would have me finishing in the late 52's without the shortcut, and if I'm there in that sort of time my brain won't let me not try.  No interest in improving my time by .250 or whatever, there's 3 seconds to come off if I hit that bit right.
  • I guess the point we're trying to make is that you can get a 52.0 without the shortcut, and not hitting the shortcut will often lead to a decent ending anyway. Until you've got a run where you've already hit it, you might as well crack on.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its not that hard to hit, Moot. There's two ways:

The safe way - make sure you're as far left as you can be, lean forward. Accelerate slowly when platform is about two thirds/three quarters of the way up, then full pelt as near top and bunny hop launch off end.

The harder, quicker way - Need to pull ya bike into a wheelie as near the end and then lean forward to minimise height, you'll be on a lower trajectory and will just clear the second ramp.

Watch replays and study that end bit for timings.
  • I reckon I should look at it, as I've hit the shortcut 4 times in total. My strategy was to just gun it and bunny hop, which usually ends with me hitting the wall or popping up at the end without going anywhere.

Probably should actually practice and watch replays rather than just hoping for the best.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Here's my most recent video. I do the second, harder technique, but clip the edge and it launches me higher:

• 52.695 on Switch. That's the beat I'm going to get without the shortcut, realistically. I bumbled a bit on the incline leading up to the ramp but I'm happy with it otherwise. Still about .5 behind muzzy though.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Here's my most recent video. I do the second, harder technique, but clip the edge and it launches me higher:

This is basically me. But better.

Fuck you DS.

• Also, cheers for the tips DS but for some reason it proved to be impossible for me. I must've had 100 attempts at that bit. I enjoyed the track other than that but I think I preferred the pane of glass in Let's Get Physical to end of this.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anybody set a good time on Happy Camper yet?

Its an easy flow track which everyone should be able to have a crack on. No physics etc.

Might be a tad too easy though, we're looking at tenths/hundredths difference between times.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anybody just wanting a diamond medal btw, do the power bike skill game. Got it on my first go, its insanely easy.
  • Argh! Had some good runs but haven’t got that jump even once.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Anybody set a good time on Happy Camper yet? Its an easy flow track which everyone should be able to have a crack on. No physics etc. Might be a tad too easy though, we're looking at tenths/hundredths difference between times.

Those are the best kinds of times. I just unlocked Finnish so would be happy to try an easier one :P
  • I think the sweet spot are the hard and medium tracks, but it's about picking one that is fun to improve a time on. Long tracks with critical/difficult endings are the worst type. Like the one with the swinging ship at the start. I hate that track.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Let's do Happy Camper then, it's short, simple and a fun line.
  • Cool, will happily move on from the other. Have only done one run on Happy Camper, it was a silver.
  • Ah no, that was unhappy camper.
  • Which is banned from this competition.
  • 34.127. There's a bit to come off for me but probably not more than .4 or something.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    So after this one, you wanna pick one @voices ?

Preferably Medium/tougher Easy to keep it on an evenish keel. Gonna give current track a go tomorrow.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    34.127. There's a bit to come off for me but probably not more than .4 or something.

This is a really nice run - kudos.

I will have a play through of the early tracks and choose something short and fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Top man.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've got a 37 something time, which when I set that was about 1,5 seconds slower than DS, but just slightly ahead of everyone else that I have on ps4. I expect that to have changed by the time I start the game again.

I don't know how I would get it down to 35 seconds, let alone the 34 Moot posted.
  • voices wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    34.127. There's a bit to come off for me but probably not more than .4 or something.

This is a really nice run - kudos.

Cheers. Just had another look and didn't fancy racing myself, it's a slowish start but otherwise everything came off right.
  • I dont own this, I've not owned a trials game since the one on the 360 but I love watching the videos of the skilled players. I also watched the easter eggs and hidden stuff spoiler video yesterday and thought some of it was super creative. Good luck finding all the hidden stuff :) 

Also, i'm not down with the back mudguard tech people seem to use. Seems cheap. Why have they left that in?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Fender grabs and fapping are fundamental to very high level play. It allows different obstacles, which allows for more diverse tracks.

Actually learning how to do the grabs (and having the muscle memory to actually use them) is on my to do list. Happily I can fap without thinking these days (er....).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Oddly I find Fenders really easy but can't fap to save my life
  • For the fap you have to have it wired in to your muscle memory, because by the time you consciously decide to do it the moment has gone. It's only useful for extremes+ anyway.

The extreme that was in the beta has a first checkpoint where flapping is super helpful to be consistent. Run that for 10 minutes and you'll be set for life.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What do these words even mean?
  • voices wrote:
    For the fap you have to have it wired in to your muscle memory, because by the time you consciously decide to do it the moment has gone.

This is a glorious sentence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!