Trials Rising - February 2019
  • Dubs wrote:
    Struggling to hit a better run than this: Seems like a tough diamond.

33.0 is the best i can hit without luck on the parts after the first 3 or 4 obstacles. 32.0 seems reasonable with the absolute perfect run, which includes very lucky parts. That is, the 1/1000 run rather than the 1/100 run. I just don't have the time at the moment to get that.

Edit: that's a very very good start, with a bad end. There's easily another 0.5 seconds to come off the time, but you need a perfect run. You could grind for it, but.... is it worth it?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Do we know how they set the times? Is it just off the devs playing the tracks and their best times?

iBlubbii set 90% of the diamond times, he's a speedrunner. He also plays only on keyboard.

I've just knocked out a 33.4. As voices and dubs have said, with the perfect run at our skill level (I put voices slightly ahead of me and dubs on the next level up) we're looking at barely squeaking diamond through to around a 31.8.

My best run was looking on for around a 32.4ish, but I keep fucking up the break at the end. Got giddy, broke too hard and lost three seconds lol

I also find the start very hard to hit really, really well consistently, that first slide needs to be spot on or you actually lose time.
  • It's all about back wheel hops, front wheel control and luck. This is a good track for improving your skills, or at least seeing where you lack.

edit: and if I hadn't had so much to drink I'd be giving it a go right now... I still feel like I'm good for 33.0.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    All about that slide game for me, slide every fucking obstacle lets go.

That timesave over the bombs the top runs though is legitimately mental though. Seems like its needed for diamond too.
  • Heh - I'm not even sure what you mean there. The slide is the key time saver - there's an 'easy' 0.5 seconds there, but it relies on luck in the next obstacle, as you have to give it a tiny break or get very lucky to hit it perfectly and not overshoot the next jump.I haven't looked at what's possible in the last 15 seconds. The last hop is +/1 1.0 seconds and that's that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You brake just before that incline before bombs, wheelie up the incline then brake flip on an almost flat trajectory over the bombs. All whilst at a relatively high speed. Seems to save at least .5 if you nail it, I've not even attempted it, that's some ninja shit.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Regarding that last hop, I hit it so well in my current run that I get about .5 seconds of airtime over the little bump at the end, and I've never been faster on a run since, even braking perfectly.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    What's a slide?
  • The back wheel hop that you do in your run on obstacle... 3...? looks a bit like a slide.

It's not really a slide, just a change in momentum from front to back. I guess it's a pretty typical tactic.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What you do at the start and basically for half ya run. Landing on a wheelie for a bit of distance then the lean forward for distance/shorten the angle if required.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Checkpoint 2 and 3 are both slides, 5 is a slide, 7 into 8 is a slide. That shit saves so much time.
  • 1 is a tiny brake, 2 is a simple restart on a front wheel touch, 3 is a back wheel hop and 4 is luck. After that, for me, it's trying to minimise time lost from the front wheel and reducing time from the hop at the end. There's loads of time to come off in the middle but I'm not consistent at the first 4 to get it. I've literally never had 4 come off.

Edit: in terms of obstacles. I've no idea what checkpoints these are. Just key points.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Ah ok, didn't know there was a name for that.   I press the buttons make bike go fast.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    By the definition of the top players they classify all those I've listed as slides. Its basically defined as getting the back wheel down early into a wheelie and maintaining that for distance. Primarily used to get extra length (oh matron) over jumps.

Nova is basically the master of it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't see how 4 is luck, if you're talking about that little climb section. Its easy to nail.
  • The bit before the climb.

Edit: the bit after the back wheel hop after the hop over the sign - the little jump before the rise. I seem to overshoot it a lot due to not braking. It might just be me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ah the flip into the slide into keeping momentum to make it over. Yeah that shit is horrendous, I've hit it twice in about 150 attempts. It does save about .4 compared to my current run so I'm determined to get it.

Then I go and watch borads on Twitch and he hits it every second or third run.
  • I'm playing on a bad tv rather than a monitor at the moment, so I wonder if the extra 0.05 of input lag is causing it to be a bit more difficult.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I never actually thought about that, I'm on a refurbished TV I bought about seven years ago for £80. Prob doesn't help.
  • It's all timing, so it's probably not anything.

The lack of a spring on the xbox one trigger is more of an issue I expect.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Treat yaself to an Elite controller, trust me its worth it.
  • I have a lot of other controllers, but maybe... The elite does look good.... I went back to my old 360 controller but the sticks are knackered.
  • I am here for the Trials trials. Looking forward to getting some solid mediocre times
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    just crush moot and we're happy
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    36.6 on something

TL;DR - I suck
    Well, I unlocked the Mantis (why can't I change the colour of the default body kit... Am offended), managed to get about a second off of my time but I'm still behind, so I guess you don't suck that much.

Not really in the mood to try and improve right now. Can't even keep up with the flip at the beginning.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If you literally just accelerate (no leaning) from the start you do a pretty good wheelie start. At least for us scrub level folk.
  • Welcome back Shinji. You can crush me as long as I crush Muzzy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot has a crush confirmed
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Welcome back Shinji. You can crush me as long as I crush Muzzy.

Thanks!

• Grinding for an hour or so there and got the platinum with 34.680. That is a tough plat standard. Diamond feels miles away

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!