Trials Rising - February 2019
  • You could be elite too - you just need to learn the way of the bike a little bit.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as condescending, but there is loads of time to come off your best there, and you can get to a point where you beat it a lot, and wonder what the fuss was.

If I was going to give a little bit of advice, it would be to plan out what your run is going to be like. Think a little bit about what time saves you are going to use and where you can use a strategy that is more consistent. After that - stick to the plan. Don't race your ghost, and if you get behind rely on executing your plan rather than trying to catch up by taking riskier strategies. Ultimately you'll end up with a smooth line for the whole track, and you won't end up massively overshooting a ramp at the end of your run because you hadn't got that far enough times to have it honed. Then when you've taken it as far as you think you can go, add in another time saver. Get a wheel over a ramp, or put some silly ninja shit in like we had going on for the last track.

It has made me think how I got kind of ok at Trials. I think it was trying for all the platinums in HD, and then after that chasing DS's times when he wasn't playing the game (kind of like a platinum plus challenge). Perhaps playing against someone that clearly wasn't defending their times let me appreciate how much better I was getting, rather than just looking at the gap which wasn't moving.

Anyway, I wish I'd played Fusion as I feel a lot behind the curve now.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The only way I play, and will ever play, is rinse the track a couple times. Loop a top replay 4/5 times. Turn off all ghosts, and then just try to hit that line section by section, then run it.

I've never ever had ghosts on and never could. I use the time indicator to show if I'm improving or not. Out of the corner of my eye if its green, fuck yeah, if its red, awwww.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    But yeah anyway Moot you're a really good player when you get ya skills down, you were pretty much the best of the rest on Evo and HD, its just been a while so it will take a while to get that back. Major thing I've spotted from your replays is too much height.

Sadly, on a personal note, I'm not as into gaming as I was back in my 'glory' years so this is going to be a hammered now and again game and my skills won't improve at all fuck yeah.
  • I have them turned down to 10% transparency, and aggressively disappearing. I only look at them for information on how good my own time is, and can more or less ignore them. They can be a bit annoying sometimes so perhaps one day I'll turn them off.

On tracks I haven't played much it's quicker than watching a replay, as they match you against a better time. You can see time saves while you ride.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    voices wrote:
    I have them turned down to 10% transparency, and aggressively disappearing. I only look at them for information on how good my own time is, and can more or less ignore them. They can be a bit annoying sometimes so perhaps one day I'll turn them off. On tracks I haven't played much it's quicker than watching a replay, as they match you against a better time. You can see time saves while you ride.

I've always preferred replays as you can study inputs. Makes me learn it a lot quicker. All in all I find them hideous to look like and very off-putting.
  • There's definitely a time to be looking at the replays and seeing how they do some stuff.

I want to see Shinji and Moot fight.

Edit: And when your time gets to a certain level the ghosts are top 10 and fuck off into the distance straight away.
  • Sadly, on a personal note, I'm not as into gaming as I was back in my 'glory' years so this is going to be a hammered now and again game and my skills won't improve at all fuck yeah.

You'll be back. Don't push it. We're here to have fun, so do what's fun.
  • Lots to digest, couple of tips on this page that ring true immediately.  Will break it down later.  But for now...
    Moot you're a really good player when you get ya skills down, you were pretty much the best of the rest on Evo and HD

Fuckin YAS
  • Such game, where being described as 'pretty much the best of the rest' is lifetime achievement stuff.
  • voices wrote:
    Hopefully this doesn't come across as condescending
    Of course not, I'm a grafter when it comes to Trials; it rarely comes naturally and most of my best times take a couple of hours to achieve, none of this 'gave it a quick 15 mins' malarkey you lot talk about.  I need to get more comfortable and less precise before I can improve. 
    voices wrote:
    Don't race your ghost, and if you get behind rely on executing your plan rather than trying to catch up by taking riskier strategies. Ultimately you'll end up with a smooth line for the whole track, and you won't end up massively overshooting a ramp at the end of your run because you hadn't got that far enough times to have it honed.
    This is my biggest downfall.  I race my ghost constantly (or a specific target ghost), which means I'll see the start of the track 100x more than I'll see the final stretch because I hit restart as soon as I fall behind.  It's a fool's errand.  I've only recently started consulting replays from the off, because for all other games I had a dumb 'organic run' shit going on, where I'd play a track for ages, get to the point where I was comfortable with what I'd worked out, then check replays.  It's fun, I've always enjoyed doing it that way, but it's also a massive waste of time. 
    The only way I play, and will ever play, is rinse the track a couple times. Loop a top replay 4/5 times. Turn off all ghosts, and then just try to hit that line section by section, then run it.
    I've always preferred replays as you can study inputs. Makes me learn it a lot quicker. All in all I find them hideous to look like and very off-putting.
    Is it me or are the replays and leaderboards less user friendly than they were?  It's been a while, but I'm sure you could slow down (or maybe even rewind?) replays on Evo.  I suppose taking away the ability to slow them down could've been intentional.  And unless I'm missing something the list is more cumbersome too - it has global, region, show top and show me, but if you want to scroll from, say 720th to 450th to race that ghost, you have to just hold up until you get there.  It's minor in the scheme of things, but it's weird that these things can get worse as a series continues.  Unless I'm missing something, which is quite likely.  Also, if you watch a replay for 450th after scrolling there it seems to spit you back out to the map afterwards, rather than where you were on the leaderboards page, so you have to scroll all the way back to it to select the option to race against it.
  • I've found that too. It's annoying not being able to cycle through the replays faster. The first replays I will watch are the good platinums, not the insane top 10 times.
  • Multi player thoughts?

I think it's OK. Ghosts are annoying. Players seem better than they were in evo, or it might just be that I'm a lot worse. I win, but I also lose badly in some. It doesn't help that I don't remember any of the courses, and where I do I don't know or recall the low risk lines.
  • Player count is very low as well. 3000 were ranked yesterday across all platforms.
  • I never touch mp, how does it work?
  • You use the accelerator and the lean to control the bike.
  • Sounds like the sort of thing I'd be the best of the rest at.
  • Do I have to beat all these stadium finals to unlock the next tracks?
  • I think so.  You have to not get eliminated in the first two and win the third iirc.  I stopped grinding at the first set of hard tracks, had enough for now.
  • Multiplayer gives a fair amount of experience, so the grind is a bit better because of that alone now.

The stadium finals are also easier now - so I've heard. I had done most of the unlocking over the first 2-3 days of release, so there weren't any fast leader board times to mess the ghosts up. You can see how absolutely messed up they've been, as I'm ranked around 1,300 (global total score) in them and I've played them literally once or twice, just to pass them. That implies most people haven't touched them, or haven't been able to beat the stupidly quick ghosts to post new times.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Looks like a crash in multiplayer can potentially cause all SP tracks to disappear (guy still has the same level and acorns, but other stuff needs to be unlocked again. Oh I actually read the thread now and Ubisoft said he needs to start a new game). Try backing up your save of you can (and care).
    Reddit Thread

Will try and set a time for the weekly today, I haven't been interested in games that much this week apart from a few Baba is You puzzles.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye likewise
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I never touch mp, how does it work?

I was being facetious, but multi player is a 3 track tournament. No penalty for restarts, first across the line. Most tracks are easy, so a restart usually means finishing close to last.

Track choice is a vote between 3. I'm not sure how random it is, or if there's a rotation of a few tracks only. I saw the same tracks come up again and again.

Rating is determined by a ladder system, so a poor performance costs you rating points (in the ranked mp)

There is a rank above diamond, which I thought was interesting.

As of yesterday night when I switched off, no one had reached platinum and the top ranked played was something like 2400.
  • 2.5 seconds away from platinum on the last main track in the game. I honestly thought I'd never get there (and maybe I never will).

After that it's time to have a go at the ninjas.

Multiplayer seems a bit.... well, not worth playing for a couple of weeks until there are more people in the gold league.
  • Hardly - I was all done with platinums on evo well before a month after launch (I think it was around a week). I think the platinums, and the tracks in general, are much harder in rising. Looking back at the old inferno 3 and it looks simple.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is in this week’s Deals with Gold, £15.99 for the standard version, £22.49 for the fancy pants edition.

Hmm...
  • And done, yay.

I'll post a video when it finishes uploading. It's weird having a fault on a platinum run, but hey ho. The tracks weren't anywhere near this hard back in the day, and the last checkpoint is illegal. You'll see I fuck up by being greedy. Not something I would have gone for if it would have cost me the platinum.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This is in this week’s Deals with Gold, £15.99 for the standard version, £22.49 for the fancy pants edition. Hmm...

It's good value at those prices, but depends if you want to commit to a pretty awful grind. Plus the UI is absolutely dog shite compared to previous versions.
  • Um...

Firstly, 1min 26secs, lovely stuff. The whole thing was impressive but I loved that little bunny hop off a back wheel planted on such a small area.  

Secondly, the last bit.  Are you on some sort of magnetised conveyor belt or actually ascending a vertical wall unaided??
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    voices wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    This is in this week’s Deals with Gold, £15.99 for the standard version, £22.49 for the fancy pants edition. Hmm...

It's good value at those prices, but depends if you want to commit to a pretty awful grind. Plus the UI is absolutely dog shite compared to previous versions.

TBH, I’m only likely to dabble with it grind or no grind, but I do enjoy the dabbling.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!