The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • I actually own superunknown as some other internet knuckle head recommended it.

It's so dull you lose the will to live somewhere around the five years black hole sun goes on for.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If you were in the right place, and the right age, Smells like Teen Spirit was a life changing song. The album lived up to expectations too. It was banned from the discos where I lived because everyone just went nuts when it came on. I still have a lot of affection for it.
  • Kow wrote:
    If you were in the right place, and the right age, Smells like Teen Spirit was a life changing song. The album lived up to expectations too. It was banned from the discos where I lived because everyone just went nuts when it came on. I still have a lot of affection for it.

This, I wanted to put something similar but ended up sounded old.

It's difficult to imagine now but pre never mind Motley Crue existed.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Grunge was an exciting. It’s always fascinating when a specific time and place produces a coherent ‘scene’ and then the outside world picks up on it. Grunge was pretentious, male dominated, reductive and crass … but it was also inventive, aspirational, political, visceral and energetic. Bad and good, as with everything.

We’re lucky to be left with it as a curio. A time capsule. We can put together the very best of the scene in a Spotify playlist and rock the fuck out, without needing to sit through the support bands and the filler.

I love a bit of grunge, me.
  • Did Britpop kill Grunge or did it die of natural causes?  Is there a discernible 'scene' presently?   I hear the young people talking about 'Grime'.  Is 'Grime' a thing now?  I thought Dubstep was what it was all about now?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It's all about EDM now.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It’s a lot harder for any one defined scene to emerge because talent and audience are distributed worldwide. Basically, the Internet fucked it.

Trends still seem to emerge and fade, but the hype machine doesn’t work the way it used to. I reckon the last music scene rooted in a real place and then promoted beyond it was probably grime/dubstep/etc.

The days of things like Madchester, grunge, gangsta rap, etc building in one city and then being blown up around the world by music journalists and label scouts are well and truly in the past.
  • Bob wrote:
    I actually own superunknown as some other internet knuckle head recommended it.

It's so dull you lose the will to live somewhere around the five years black hole sun goes on for.

Proving myself the knucklehead here my getting the wrong album - I actually meant Badmotorfinger.

But don't stop being a cunt with questionable taste Bob.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Doesn't matter, they're both great, bob still wrong.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I fucking hate the term EDM, let alone IDM, just fuck off.

Grime is definitely a thing of its environment.
  • Grime is so uniquely British - it's only tangentially related to US hip hop and sounds so different to it. I've only just started listening to it and I'm loving it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I'm apparantly on the wrong side of history for hating it. Don't really care though, anything with a London accent has an incredibly long way to go to have me not hate it.
  • Just rewatching Extras at the moment. Samual L jackson ep. Amazing. I hate Jazz too.....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I really enjoyed grunge, and I think we did a little post grunge scene this side of the Atlantic which was amazing, however I just came here to post this

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The Boss seems to be slowly turning into Robert DeNiro.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • We must be due a Bush revival what with Rossdale being on the voice
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Already been announced Bob, Shepherds Empire not long, can't remember any other details

edit: 14th March, no other uk dates announced
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • God I love a bit of Bruce.  I need to see him live at some point, I hear he puts on quite a show, every show.  I think Nebraska is a masterpiece, absolutely the best album he's ever recorded.  Highway Patrolman is a beautiful song.  Forever in his debt for that record, but even without it he has enough great records to make me a fan (Darkness is fantastic, and Born in the USA, including the time-and-a-place production, is a pure headphones joy record). 

The stripped down Thunder Road messes me up a bit.  It's too good to even bother describing:

• Got that on vinyl. It's immense.
  • Can anyone tell me if the ghost of Tom Joad is worth a punt? Heard a track on 6music and liked it. But I'm not keen on tunnel of love
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's decent enough but if you heard the title track you've heard the best track by a considerable margin.
  • Try the Seeger sessions, maybe.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just listen to Woody Guthrie.
  • Then listen to Wilco and Billy Bragg (Mermaid avenue I think it is?)
  • Never been a big Bruce fan, yet I love The Gaslight Anthem.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I really enjoyed grunge, and I think we did a little post grunge scene this side of the Atlantic which was amazing, however I just came here to post this

Loving this clip. Does Bruce have a screen with lyrics on? Seemed he was looking down.

Also, what's that crowd size? 80k?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Top Springsteen albums that aren't BTR or DOTEOT

1) The Rising
    2) Nebraska
    3) The River
    4) The Promise
    5) Wrecking Ball
  • Yup, Springsteen uses a teleprompter for lyrics. 
    hqdefault.jpg
    It's quite clever how he uses it for the Request songs though. Rest of the band have a much tougher gig than the boss does.
    A few years ago, E Street Band guitarist Nils Lofgren wrote about it...

"Last E Street tour, (”Working On A Dream”) we played 192 different songs on that tour alone. Dozens of those songs were from audience-request signs Bruce would collect and dump in front of the drum riser. He would then rifle through them, sailing them around him until he found a song to attempt — much like the college kid rummaging through the pile of dirty laundry in search of one clean shirt.
    Many songs were covers we had never performed live. EVER! He would show us the sign and then immediately “frisbee” it down the stairs to the teleprompter crew to surf the net and find the lyrics while we all talked up a quick arrangement at his microphone, knowing he’d be counting it off in 20 seconds.
    Many of those audibles were Bruce songs unrehearsed or played in years or decades. With our collective musical memory, hand signals and teleprompter, it allows for those ambitious, ad lib moments and an inspired, musical recklessness I believe is unique to our shows. These points might have brought some additional perspective to your article. In our case, the teleprompter has a much more ambitious use and purpose than your article indicates."
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!