The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • cockbeard wrote:
    A year since the first track was out in the wild to test the water, the first album is here https://open.spotify.com/album/7HN9oHogYUDhIJPtnHEgPP I'll sound a hypocrite now, the amount of time I've said I've very little time for Radiohead, and that Muse just sounded like a goth/metal Radiohead. Well in many ways so do these guys. Like almost everything Steve does it's a lovely piece of production, in some past projects (Spycatcher I'm looking at you) the production has been given too much of a front seat, and whilst this sounds both expansive and expensive, it's not a self congratulatory advert for Titan Studios So yeah, people will sell it based on the previous bands of the members, and whilst that is relevant, don't expect a mosh pit. Yes there are Gallows, Sikth and Cry For Silence, but those bands were big over 15 years ago, shit guys, we done got old. This has all the tech you'd expect from metal fans, but coupled with a really ethereal feel. My favourite tracks are the more simple ones, building a big soundscape, layer by layer, and slamming the chord changes and simple lyrics down your throat at the same time, often followed by a crunch or fuzz pedal to remind you that they were metal once, along with the drop d tuning, they really want to make that point clear. Does exactly what it says on the tin, pretty much what I'd expect Uxfest 2001 to sound like if it happened tomorrow I guess I don't listen to enough of this music to know what to call it, nu-goth, indie-metal, mid-life-core, but I find myself drawn to it. Mikee performed fantastic vocal gymnastics in Sikth, Frank was a frontman and a half for Gallows, but maybe the musicianship got a little lost behind that. The catchy hooks of Spycatcher might also have made you forget that these guys can play. This album isn't prog by any means, they work great live, which sounds weird through my headphones, I guess I wouldn't have kept going if it was no good though Anyway, I'm biased and slightly invested, make of it what you will

Muse goth/metal? Lol. It's neither, certainly not goth.
    It's alternative/hard rock. Electronic rock if you like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muse_(band)

Genres
    Alternative rock progressive rock hard rock art rock space rock electronica

That's pretty accurate.

Gold Key - Hello Phantom just sounds like radiohead to me - the vocals certainly. But I don't listen to radiohead so I don't really know.

Man those are depressing sounding vocals.

Their other stuff sounds a bit muse too.

"indie-metal, mid-life-core" - decent labels I think.

Certainly sounds like middle class, white, mid life crisis depressing music. Indie electro rock.

Sorry. I think the vocals are probably really marmitey. If you dig the vocals there's probably a lot to like there.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • I find I don't really listen to much UK music.

UK's good for trip hop and progressive rock.

But for rock etc. everything seems to need to be gentle, soft, or effeminate.

So for stadium rock you've got Muse, what else?
    And Muse really channel Queen and that classic British camp/electro rock vibe.

I'm not aware of anything sounding like Audioslave, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, System of a Down etc. coming out of the UK

You know, meaty music.

I guess that's old school these days.

And for metal you're much better served by bands from the continent, or the US.

Australia seems good for interesting bands.

Found these guys recently, which tick some Faith No More / System of a Down boxes:

And channelling some Tool / Rishloo / prog metal:

Need to check out Karnivool and Caligula's horse etc. as well, although from when I've heard so far, especially the former may fall into that boy band too soft vocals modern prog metal category (seems to come with the djent scene - tesseract etc.)

Lucid planet manages to escape that with the vocals for me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Caligula's Horse are alright.

U.K. wise Dan, Pineapple Thief and ...And So I Watch You From Afar are worth a look of you want shouty guitars.

Give new Sannhet a go too, and previous Sannhet for that matter.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    State of the world at the minute, I keep playing...

• Not stadium, but gut punch rock minus screamo, which I appreciate.  Wolf People, from Bedford:

and the track that hooked me years ago:

I liked The Amazing Snakeheads.  Think they only put out one record, but they've got a kind of bass & drum heavy sound that qualifies as meaty even when the guitars are jangly.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yeah, but where were they from?
  • My current AOTY list.....
    1 Brother Ali All the Beauty in this whole life
    2 Jay Z 4:44
    3 Mr Jukes God First
    4 Kamasi Washington harmony of Difference
    5 neil Finn Out of Silence
    6 Mura Masa Mura Masa
    7 London Grammar Truth is a Beautiful Thing
    8 Halsey Hopeless Fountain Kingdom
    9 Sleaford Mods English Tapas
    10 Oddessee The Iceberg
    Vic Mensa The Autobiography
    Kendrick Lamar DAMN.
    Boyz II Men Under The StreetLight
    Dan Sultan Killer
    Dirty Projectors Dirty Projectors
    360 Modern Vintage
    Gregory Porter nat and Me
    Rationale Rationale
    Lana Del Rey Lust For Life
    manchester orchesrta A Black Mile to the Surface
    The Kite String Tangle The Kite String Tangle
    Planetarium Various
    David Banner The God Box
    Vince Staples Big Fish Theory
    Talib Kweli The Seven
    Living Colour Shade
    iron and Wine Beast Epic
    Everything Everything A Fever Dream
    Jordan Rakei Wallflower
    Nothing But Theives Broken machine
    Pearl jam Lets Play Two
    Rock Rockness AP
    Wu tang The Saga Continues
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'll probably buy Lets Play Two at some point.  Can't fault the PJ live machine, even if I'll probably only listen to it once.
  • Just got back from seeing the Melvins, again.  I don't actually like them that much, but it's become a yearly tradition.
  • Cheers Skerr and Moot

Sannhet seems interesting, will check it out.

Moot that early Wolf People is very nice, lovely guitar tones.
    I guess it's personal preference, but I find it funny how few bands seem to actually make nice tones.

Nice old school proggy / folky sound - perhaps with a bit of Fairpoint Convention in there.

Reminds me a bit of Colour Haze too, who dropped a new album this year - only just realised the other week.

Will definitely give it more of a listen

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll probably buy Lets Play Two at some point.  Can't fault the PJ live machine, even if I'll probably only listen to it once.

Yep. Just solid always.

Tbh, I'm surprised how much I rate both the boyz II men & Gregory Porter albums. Both covers albums timed for Christmas, but just great.

• Happy Halloween all

Some appropriate music and recent discoveries:

Sludgy, ethereal doom metal, with beautiful female vocals

Similar to Colour Haze in that one song just melds into the other for the whole album/s

But quite different tone obviously.

Even more recent discovery:

Lighter, beautiful and ethereal

Very melancholic, made even more so by the background behind the music.

Best I probably link to a very good review:
    http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/74009/Trees-of-Eternity-Hour-Of-The-Nightingale/

If that's all too soft, and depressing, here's some Eths again for laughs:
  • Face - you heard the Sampha album yet? Surprised that isn't on your list.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Trying to decide between just disappointment or out right hatred for the production on the new weezer.
    I got half way through the first track and turned it off.

Listening to the new Nadine Shah album ‘Holiday Destination’ - it’s very good, very PJ Harvey-ish which isn’t a bad thing.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Glad you enjoyed the ManchOrch, Face.
  • Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

There's some smack talk going around the Soft Bulletin is the better album. It's not.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Fuck Pitchfork with their 10.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Face - you heard the Sampha album yet? Surprised that isn't on your list.

Was that this year? Need to revisit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah evenm I ebnoiyed that Sampha album, and I'm far from an afficionado
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fuck Pitchfork with their 10.

Is that aimed at me?

Can't see a review for it.

But everyone knows that unless it has a decimal point a pitchfork review is worthless.

Plus they review YBtPR and he doesn't rate Do You Realize? The best thing they've ever done?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots There's some smack talk going around the Soft Bulletin is the better album. It's not.

I love them both.  For what it's worth I'd say Yoshimi reaches greater heights, but Soft Bulletin is more consistent in its greatness.  (There's a musical and thematic consistency that I think Yoshimi doesn't quite pull off.  I agree Do You Realize? is a brilliant track, not least in part because Everyone Gets It, but Bulletin's slightly more oblique approach to similar sentiments carries more emotional weight for me.)
  • Pitchfork originally gave Soft Bulletin a 10 Bob.  Along with Endtrouducing and something else I forget.  I prefer Yoshimi too but agree with tin's point about heights/consistency.
  • It's not in their Flaming Lips archive any more as far as I can see. Shame.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Relistening to my AOTY list. At least stuff I haven't hammered as much as I should.

K. Dot's DAMN. is gonna struggle to stay in the 10-20 melee.
  • So this new Noel Gallagher single Holy Mountain. It's quite catchy...but...play this video on youtube, but increase the speed in the settings to 1.25x normal...

then listen to this classic from the 70's...

oh Noel, how could you?

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's comfortably the worst single he's released under the High Flying Birds umbrella.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Their whole second album passed me by.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!