The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • To be clear, renegade is on blueprint.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:

I'd need to think about a top 5. Don't know how many singles I'd put in there.

I’m thinking 5? ;)

The Forum Herald™
  • Never been hugely into Mathers myself. He's clearly good, but I guess I don't really understand rap all that much to see the brilliance of his technical stuff. I'll take Aesop or Daveed any day.
  • Nah, if you can get down with aesop, you get rap just fine.

Em is a very white phenomenon, IMO.

Reminds me of a prog drummer. He's basically Virgil donati.

Like prog and guys like Virgil get into the maths of the rhythm, and try and out smart themselves, em very much digs in the weeds of flows and rhythm etc trying to be as clever as possible.

He has a big bag of tricks, and on top of his go to moves, knows how to mimic pretty well anyone else's.

As folks point out though, that leaves a big gap where the content goes though.

At best, it's a mixed bag.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm no fan but I remember hearing bad guy when in Venezuela and a pupil gave me their iPod as I was at my wit's end with a situation and I really really liked it. Throws hard at the end.
  • Reminds me of a prog drummer. He's basically Virgil donati.

Bingbingbingbing!!!
  • I like the Chris d'elia impression of him. BLAMPKINS.
  • Ever seen Ice-T’s documentary, The Art of Rap? Check it out if not, it’s brilliant. Most rap docos are all about the history, whereas this is Ice interviewing as many rappers as he can about how they write.

Eminem’s section is brilliant. He talks about the creative process entirely differently to everyone else in the film. For him, it’s solving a puzzle – count the bars, fit syllables to the spaces, make it flow – then fuck with the pattern until it gets interesting – pull these words and swap them round, squeeze a longer word into a shorter space, fill a longer one by repeating short words, etc etc. Fascinating chat, especially if you dig into the extras on the DVD or Blu, where Ice’s full interviews are shown unedited.
  • Yeah, seen it. Good reminder.

"For him, it’s solving a puzzle – count the bars, fit syllables to the spaces, make it flow – then fuck with the pattern until it gets interesting – pull these words and swap them round, squeeze a longer word into a shorter space, fill a longer one by repeating short words, etc etc."

To go back to my Virgil donati analogy, I saw him do a clinic once at a big drummers convention they have in Melbourne each year.

He gave out sheet music and some info on what he was doing, and his opening remarks basically Echo above from em.

I'm going to show you how to squeeze these 15th note triplets into this 9/8 pattern with this hand while I do x and y with my double bass pedal.

Woah.
  • Production wise The Way I Am hits right. Even the clicky percussion suits it. Would make my top five.
  • Simple minds - greatest hits

The original 91 one disc edition but Fuck me what an album

If streaming and iTunes really have killed the greatest hits as a thing it’s really Fucking sad
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    My Eminem top 5: 1) Drug Ballad 2) Guilty Conscience 3) Forgot about Dre 4) Lose yourself 5) Bitch Please II

Those bass line and plinky top end playing counter on Drug Ballad are great, really does something almost subliminal where I end up think I'm hearing one under the other when only one is playing. I'd probably stick Syllables in there as well
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How do summer bangers happen in winter?

• Bob wrote:
    Simple minds - greatest hits

If streaming and iTunes really have killed the greatest hits as a thing it’s really Fucking sad

Glittering Prize? That’s wicked. The compilation of their pre-fame late 70’s stuff is good too.

I had Glittering Prize when I was about twelve and loved it, then ignored it for years as they were a bit uncool and 80’s music wasn’t in. Hard to think back to the mid-to-late 90’s, before the 80’s revival that lasted longer than the decade itself.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Prepping an English lesson on the subject of songs/national anthems, and the teacher's book recommends playing some pieces of music and getting the students to write about them. So I pick Bad by Michael Jackson, Sandstorm by Darude, No One Wins by The Berzerker, and Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings.

While making sure that the files played properly, I put the latter on, and immediately teared up. It's funny, isn't it. It doesn't even have a name other than "piece of music for instruments", and there's no singing. It's just a bunch of people drawing a stick across a box of wood with strings on it, and it's amazing. Vibrations in the air and I'm sat gently crying in a coffee shop.

I must have looked like a right weirdo.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Been joyfully working my way through the remastered six disc set (65 tracks) of Prince's 1999. God I miss that man.

It's a world of truck drivers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Simple minds - greatest hits

Glittering Prize? That’s wicked. The compilation of their pre-fame late 70’s stuff is good too.

I had Glittering Prize when I was about twelve and loved it, then ignored it for years as they were a bit uncool and 80’s music wasn’t in. Hard to think back to the mid-to-late 90’s, before the 80’s revival that lasted longer than the decade itself.

Alive and Kicking is in my top 5 of all time. Can't get enough of it. Literally listening to it right now.
  • Carly Rae Jepsen’s Tiny Desk Concert is really good. She’s grown into a very respectable soul voice, and shows it off well on the first track.

• I'll watch that...maybe.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • There’s something in Call Me Maybe that drives Cooper absolutely barmy. I think it’s the synth stabs in the chorus. I can’t play it in the house any more.
  • poprock wrote:
    There’s something in Call Me Maybe that drives Cooper absolutely barmy. I think it’s the synth stabs in the chorus. I can’t play it in the house any more.

Have you tried the DMX mashup to see if the same thing happens?
  • Same thing happens with the Isonine mashup (the Nine Inch Nails one). If that comes on when we’re in the car, Cooper wakes up and starts barking like a nutcase.
  • Silke wrote:
    Been joyfully working my way through the remastered six disc set (65 tracks) of Prince's 1999. God I miss that man.
    Still have to get this. I've become quite obsessed with Prince again. Been listening to two playlists I made a lot, which have reminded me that The Chocolate Invasion is a ridiculously good album for what was essentially a throwaway. (Got em sweated off a throwaway.) Also Art Official Age is a top 5 album!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Welcome back muggins.

Has the forum eaten Tempy's album of the year thread from last year?  90% sure it was Tempy's and maybe 50% sure it was called something like That Was the Year That Was (in Music).  Unless I dreamt it I thought I bumped it this morning too.  Am I going mad?
  • Getting super hyped for the new Weeknd album, but here are a few of my favourites from the year:

Bon Iver - i, i
    Not as good as the last one, but still rather crunchy and beautiful. Nice call back to the early stuff too. 

FKA twigs - Magdalene
    It took me a while to get on to her, but I really do love her now. This is rather good. I feel it'll be a grower. 

Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell
    My favourite since Ultraviolence. Really good. 

Thom Yorke - Anima 
    Loved this. Reminds me that I really need to do a whole catalogue listen of Radiohead.

Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep
    Production on You Should See Me in a Crown gets the Muggins Seal of Approval. I am excited to see what she does next and how she matures as an artist. 

Tyler, The Creator - Igor
    I never would have expected to hear Tyler grow into this kind of artist, putting down the shock tools and picking up sincere emotion. Well worth a listen. 

Lizzo - Cuz I Love You
    Yep, enjoyed this. Not entirely sold on her all the way around, but I did think this was a good time.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • When you getting on Clipping
  • Today! I promise!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!