The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My pick for his best track this century. High five my good man.
    Yep, mine too. Love and Theft is in my Top 5 Dylan I think. 

Blood on the Tracks
    Blonde on Blonde
    Infidels
    Love and Theft
    The Basement Tapes.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • And for every hung up person in the whole wide universe, and we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/5zOiSgAZJhikocvA3KdSpX?si=wiCs5vd4S0edk_Saoe2AsA
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My pick for his best track this century. High five my good man.
    Yep, mine too. Love and Theft is in my Top 5 Dylan I think. 

Blood on the Tracks
    Blonde on Blonde
    Infidels
    Love and Theft
    The Basement Tapes.

Highway 61 Revisited
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Blood on the Tracks
    John Wesley Harding

...and then either Love & Theft or Blonde on Blonde.
  • I go back on forth with John Wesley Harding and The Basement Tapes. If I didn't have the proper complete Basement Tapes, it would definitely be JWH. Both similarly rustic and beautiful things.
  • Muggins, give this a try sometime. Think you might like it. I know it’s an obvious Dylan choice, but her version gives me goosebumps. In a good way.

• Okay, here are my ratings as best as I can work it out:

1. Blood on the Tracks
    2. Blonde on Blonde
    3. Infidels 
    4. Love and Theft 
    5. The Basement Tapes
    6. John Wesley Harding
    7. The Times They Are a Changin'
    8. Highway 61 Revisited
    9. Bringing It All Back Home
    10. Desire
    11. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    12. Nashville Skyline
    13. Time Out of Mind
    14. World Gone Wrong
    15. Good As I Been To You
    16. Another Side of Bob Dylan
    17. Bob Dylan
    18. Planet Waves
    19. Slow Train Coming
    20. Oh Mercy
    21. Tempest
    22. Modern Times
    23. Together Through Life
    24. Street Legal
    25. New Morning
    26. Saved
    27. Triplicate
    28. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    29. Self Portrait
    30. Knocked Out Loaded
    31. Empire Burlesque
    32. Shadows in the Night
    33. Fallen Angels 
    34. Shot of Love
    35. Down in the Groove
    36. Under the Red Sky
    37. Dylan
  • poprock wrote:
    Muggins, give this a try sometime. Think you might like it. I know it’s an obvious Dylan choice, but her version gives me goosebumps. In a good way.
    That was really nice. Thanks.
  • Bottom of my list looks similar but pretty different in the middle. Will enjoy this later.
  • I'd love to do one for his songs, but man alive that'd take a long time, haha.
  • I was over in my brother's yesterday for Christmas dinner and fun and we compiled our top ten songs of the decade. Here are mine, please feel free to share yours too!

1. Nicki Minaj - Super Bass. The greatest Pop song of the decade by far in my opinion. So joyous - that chorus has real power to it. Nicki has unfortunately not surpassed this song for me, even though I'm a fan of most of her work. Anyway, I just adore this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JipHEz53sU

2. Gallant - Manhattan. From his Zebra EP, Gallant is one of my best finds of the last ten years. This is just an incredibly powerful, beautiful and life affirming song. If you haven't heard it, please have a listen. Helped me considerably when I was going through bad times. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uPuY4y6rjA

3. Chance The Rapper - Summer Friends. Chance is on a shortlist of favourite rappers, and this song is a big reason why. Rap has grown up so much, not only lyrically - where love has replaced threats of violence and normal life is examined - but also in the way that melody has become an important part of almost every rapper working. Anyway, Chance is great and this song always raises a tear or two from my eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4wUByldo4

4. The Weeknd - Try Me. My Dear Melancholy, is tied with Kiss Land for my favourite album by Abel Tesfaye, but as far as songs go, Try Me has overtake The Town and The Party and the After Party for my favourite song. The chorus is just ridiculously good, and when that synth comes in near the end, I lose my mind. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IES_csu6vYs

5. Drake - Hold On We're Going Home. I got into Drake with this album, and this song remains my favourite of all of his work. A beautiful production that recalls Michael, with more than a tinge of Human Nature about it, and just a joyous song all the way around. Majid Jordan give it their distinctive sound and Drake does a great job on the lead vocal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxgqpCdOKak

6. Chris Brown - Loyal. My favourite song from Chris Brown. An epic bit of production with my favourite guest verse from anyone with Lil Wayne opening the song. Great video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXRN_LkCa_o

7. Kendrick Lamar - Love. I was a fan of Kendrick from his first and second albums, but it was on Damn that I fully comprehended why he is such a great artist. This is my favourite song from that album. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox7RsX1Ee34

8. Prince - Clouds. Art Official Age is a top 5 Prince album, so says me, Muggins! And this is my favourite song from that album. The return of the dirty minded Prince in full force. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/72tw1RsVqQ40i1jcp4bXdj?si=8YqwFNN5Rdmnfnz8oO9IsA

9. Bruno Mars featuring Cardi B - Finesse. Probably the most fun song for me of the last ten years. Manages to give the hat tip to 90s R&B while somehow still sounding current. Cardi B's verse, while short, takes the song from good to great. She wrote it the night before and did it in one take. A lot of rappers who come in for a guest shot don't relate to the track they're on sufficiently, but Cardi nails the whole 90s throwback flair. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoLEjrDogU

10. R. Kelly - Number One Hit. I am glad that he proved his talent in straight ahead soul without the explicit sexual stuff before he threw away his life. Anyway, this is an incredibly beautiful song that always makes me feel good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9cMcCOacc
  • Going to listen to every Iron & Wine album today. Starting with:

zQyXTcV.jpg

Lion's Mane was my most played song of the decade FYI!
  • Just finished the second LP. Beautiful work Sam Beam. 

jIc1WiC.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Iron & Wine sounds like an Italian neonazi website.
  • I’ve
    Got £55 of amazon vouchers to spend

What’s the badger pick
    Of this years albums?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Great work
    The Forum Herald™
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Okay, here are my ratings as best as I can work it out: 1. Blood on the Tracks 2. Blonde on Blonde 3. Infidels  4. Love and Theft  5. The Basement Tapes 6. John Wesley Harding 7. The Times They Are a Changin' 8. Highway 61 Revisited 9. Bringing It All Back Home 10. Desire 11. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan 12. Nashville Skyline 13. Time Out of Mind 14. World Gone Wrong 15. Good As I Been To You 16. Another Side of Bob Dylan 17. Bob Dylan 18. Planet Waves 19. Slow Train Coming 20. Oh Mercy 21. Tempest 22. Modern Times 23. Together Through Life 24. Street Legal 25. New Morning 26. Saved 27. Triplicate 28. Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 29. Self Portrait 30. Knocked Out Loaded 31. Empire Burlesque 32. Shadows in the Night 33. Fallen Angels  34. Shot of Love 35. Down in the Groove 36. Under the Red Sky 37. Dylan

This was correct at the time of going to press (which was August 2015).  At a glance Modern Times is too high, Good As I Been to You and Oh Mercy are too low, and the sixth tier looks like it's already dropped to three star territory to me, but I stand by (or nearby) most of it* so wotevs:

*Apart from the slight adjustments I just made to some of the selected favourite tracks.  
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My Bob Dylan list.  The six tiers as I see it, with three selections in each and a few extra categories because there's something worth listening to on every album:

Toppest tier

Highway 61 Revisited (favourite track: It Takes A Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry)
    Bringing it All Back Home (favourite track: She Belongs to Me)
    Blood on the Tracks (favourite track: Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts or Tangled up in Blue)

Second Tier

Love & Theft (favourite track: Mississippi)
    Blonde on Blonde (favourite track: Visions of Johanna - my all-time favourite Dylan)
    John Wesley Harding (favourite track: I'll Be Your Baby Tonight or Drifter's Escape)

Third Tier

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (favourite track: Girl From the North Country or Oxford Town)
    Time Out of Mind (favourite track: Tryin' to Get to Heaven)
    The Times They Are A-Changin' (favourite track: When the Ship Comes in)

Fourth Tier

Desire (favourite track: One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below))
    Street Legal (favourite track: Where Are You Tonight)
    Modern Times (favourite track: Thunder on the Mountain)

Fifth Tier

Another Side of Bob Dylan (favourite track: To Ramona)
    Nashville Skyline (favourite track: Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You)
    World Gone Wrong (favourite track: Delia)

Sixth Tier

Slow Train Coming (favourite track: Slow Train)
    Together Through Life (favourite track: Beyond Here Lies Nothin')
    Bob Dylan (favourite track: Song to Woody)

The 'Finally Dropping Down to Three Stars' Tier

Oh Mercy (favourite track: Shooting Star)
    Tempest (favourite track: Duquense Whistle)
    New Morning (favourite track: If Not For You)

The 'Less Consistent But Still Worth Checking Out' Tier

Planet Waves (favourite track: Forever Young)
    Self Portrait (favourite track: The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo))
    Infidels (favourite track: Jokerman)

The Rest

Good as I Been to You (favourite track: Frankie & Albert)
    Shot of Love (favourite track: The Groom's Still Waiting at the Alter....never got on with Every Grain of Sand)
    Christmas in the Heart (favourite track: Must be Santa)
    Shadows in the Night (favourite track: undecided thus far)
    Empire Burlesque (favourite track: When the Night Comes Falling From the Sky)
    Down in the Groove  (favourite track: Shenandoah)
    Knocked Out Loaded (favourite track: Brownsville Girl)
    Saved (favourite track: Solid Rock)

The album I haven't Got/Heard :( Dylan (1972)

..And The Worst Under the Red Sky (favourite track: Wiggle Wiggle - total and hilarious waste of Slash, but I enjoyed dancing to it with my daughter when she had colic)

+ The Best of the Official Bootlegs

The Bootleg Series Vol.1-3 (Rare & Unreleased 1961-1991) (favourite track: Blind Willie McTell - Bob & The Knopf combine for lightning in a bottle...someone decides not to put it on Infidels.  Seven Curses too, which completes my top three Bob along with Johanna and McTell)
    The Bootleg Series Vol.9 (The Witmark Demos) (favourite track: Farewell) The Bootleg Series Vol.7 (No Direcion Home Soundtrack) (favourite track: Tombstone Blues alernate take)

The 'Not Sure Where to Put it but I like it' soundtrack album: 

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid Soundtrack

I just don't get Infidels.  Soz.
  • That's a good list, will have a proper read in a bit.

Now listening to:

92pVp93.jpg
  • Now listening to:

gDVxa47.jpg

Sea and the Rhythm was really good. Enjoying this one so far. Never listened to it more than a couple of times when I was into Iron & Wine for the first time.
  • Now listening to:

PiMC3R9.jpg

Iron & Wine and Calexico - In the Reins
  • Love that one, can't remember the particular track off-hand but I was into it for quite a while.
  • Yo, I'm doing a 5 month trial of Tidal. Got it dumb cheap. Have 4 extra accounts, anyone want to try? 

@moot.

(Assuming it doesn't care about region.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Would definitely like to give it a go pls, assuming it works on my phone or pc at work.
  • Yep, has windows app for master quality. I'll send link and we'll see what happens.
  • Oh my, Lemonade on master quality might sell me on this for first minute alone. Holy cow.
  • Must listen to Lemonade again. My only gripe about it is that The Weeknd wasn't given more of a part on 6 Inch. The original version with Belly (I think) is really good. Would have loved a proper duet with Beyonce.
  • Reminds me that Abel's Drunk in Love remix was easily the best of the bunch!
  • The new Lighthouse Family album is so ridiculously hooky and deliriously poppy your trying to sing along by the end of the first chorus - tunde has such a warm voice and the tuneage. A welcome return!
    The Forum Herald™
  • Wow, didn't know they were back! Always enjoyed their stuff. Will check it out. Thanks Bob!
  • And now kicking it up a notch with Charli XCX’s latest
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!