The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • It felt odd not mentioning any considering how much time I spend with the genre. I didn't intentionally separate them, they just didn't make the cut. Seems like the upper echelons of my favourites are usually singer songwriter stuff.
  • Sailors Guide over Metamodern?
  • Edges it. Only wanted one from each artist otherwise Metamodern would've made it too. Sailor's is just a complete, perfect album for me.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Sailors Guide over Metamodern?

I think so, for me anyway, Metamodern was a shock to the system, Sailor's guide was a more cohesive piece and being the latter piece was an even bigger FU to Nashville

More contentious for me is Southeastern over Something More Than Free, though I might just end up including both, hard to exclude either given the stuff on them

edit: Phew, I guessed moot was limiting to one from each, because all four of the above could easily be included in a genre specific list, which makes it look like no-one else is doing anything, they really are
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Southeastern was the 'he's only gone and done it!' moment. Been front and centre in the Isbell famclub since he joined the Driveby Truckers but he always struggled with consistency on his solo albums, like he over exerted himself on the best three or four tracks and filled the rest of the records up with 'that'll do' songs. It all came together on Southeastern and he hasn't phoned anything in since.
  • Lucinda Williams - car wheels On a gravel drive

Whilst cooking the lunch
    The Forum Herald™
  • My favourite album by a female artist of all time, just nipping in ahead of Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball. Which happens to have a Lucinda cover on it.
  • Doing a top 3 cos I'm lazy

1. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth
    2. Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
    3. Crime In Stereo - I Was Trying To Describe You To Someone
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Looked on lastfm for my most played albums over the last decade, no real surprises I don't think

Austin Lucas - Somebody Loves You
    Pacer - Making Plans
    Drag The River - Bad At Breaking Up
    The Don Ramos Players - The Don Ramos Players
    Spycatcher - Honesty
    Tellison - The Wages Of Fear
    Zatopeks - Damn Fool Music
    Lucero - Tennessee
    Teenage Bottlerocket - Total
    Chillerton - Bleak Unison

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I threw a list together quickly a few weeks ago.

Skelethon - Aesop Rock
    Field of Reeds - These New Puritans
    Mirror Traffic - Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
    Dude Incredible - Shellac
    To Be Kind - Swans
    'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! - GSY!BE
    How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident - Future of the Left
    You Won't Get What You Want - Daughters
    High Violet - The National
    Option Paralysis - Dillinger Escape Plan
  • Some good stuff friends. 

I like Damn more than To Pimp a Butterfly. Not sure why exactly. Probably because of the song Love and the effect it has on the tracks before and after.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Looking through my list which I've kept since 2017, yeah. I'll struggle to sort a top 10. As much because prior to that it's. Blur, so 10-16 will be guessing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • http://read.tidal.com/article/tidal-10-rb-and-the-interior-gaze

A good read for @XOMuggins I reckon.

Also quotes Hanif Abdurraqib who's well worth a follow on the old Twitter.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Thanks Face, will give it a read. 

I'm building up to a full catalogue listen to Roy Orbison. Always loved him and it's about time I dug deep into his music. I know there are more than a few hidden gems waiting to be uncovered! 

Today though, it's a Dylan day!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Bridge the gap with the Wilburys.  Tweeter and the Monkey Man is the best non Springsteen Springsteen track ever.
  • yes good shout! Love a bit of that Trembling Wilbury!
  • Doing a top 3 cos I'm lazy

1. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth
    2. Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface
    3. Crime In Stereo - I Was Trying To Describe You To Someone
    4. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
    5. Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow
  • I was watching some good live videos of Fleet Foxes from 2008 and it was so odd seeing Father John Misty on the drums. I must give him a proper listen one of these days. I did enjoy that album quite a bit.
  • The best version of Isis:

https://open.spotify.com/track/4OWiQOidaa35fXoBiBfkkk?si=5iz1TYJzSfmStMDAD1nh4Q

Nice shout out to Leonard Cohen.
  • It may be the Devil, or it may be the Lord, but you're gonna have to serve somebody. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/760420tYNmNjFgi8bWvbop?si=s_N2M6UeRt6NB05qE5O5Pg

My favourite of his Christian trilogy by a large margin. Lovely production, lyrically brilliant and songs that hit hard. On Saved and Shot of Love, Dylan had lost his identity to stock Christian phrases. On Slow Train Coming, he maintained his character.
  • He had half of Dire Straits backing him, how could it be anything less than awesome?
  • Aye.

This is quite lovely:

https://open.spotify.com/track/39yGuVuxqQk0cqezpj4s7C?si=k_CYORVjTZ2IdF7tqFZdeg

Proof that he can still sing soft and beautiful. I really must dig into the last three albums some day soon.
  • Needing help identifying a song, it's been an earworm for years and I've never taken the time to get the name. It's probably obvious and I'll be ripped for not knowing.

Of the early 90s era of post-Graceland white man pop where you'd find more gospel and African influences, and grunge has made pop more sombre and reflective and basically every white man pop song sounds like something that could be the theme tune to a hard hitting drama procedural.

So the song has all that, piano lick in the main riff. Chorus is soaring with gospel choir backed vocals like:
    "Ahhhhhh! AAAAAAHHHHH-another way,
    Even naa naa naaa, na na, na na
    Just another day without yoooooooou
    "

Or something like that. Help. Been stuck in my head. Not even Shazam will take my na na na's.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Blur - There's No Other Way ????

I saw 90s and white, most of the other words had no frame of reference for me
  • Nope. Not it. American vocalist, I'm sure.
  • While I'm here, I really love this:

When he hits, god damn he's so good
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Blur - There's No Other Way ????

I saw 90s and white, most of the other words had no frame of reference for me

Helpfully they all discount that song
  • Colleague is quite good at this stuff and he's suggested
    Spoiler:
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow that's a name I've not had cause to think about in years, will have to go and listen now though, that hook had barbs as I recall
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Colleague is quite good at this stuff and he's suggested
    Spoiler:
    He's only gone and nailed it! And now I'm embarrassed as the guy is definitely not white.

Whoopsies. I thought it was the Higher Love guy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!