The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Listening to the manic Street Preachers and it's sad that 1) our society has reverted to the 90s. 2) a design for life is still pertinent. 3) fuck are we as a society.
    On the bright side they're about to follow it up with the Epic THIS IS MY TRUTH TELL ME YOURS that I'd argue is the better album.
    I'm genuinely coming round to TIMTTMY as a better album, its a bunch of guys in their 30s trying to find meaning. That's where I am I guess.

In the beginning.. when we where winning... what a lyric.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I have notee exactly the same listening to living colour and fishbone.
    Angry stuff from early 90s and it's still so on point.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Snow Patrol - Fallen Empires

There’s no Run or Chasing Cars but it’s probably a more consistent album for that. Lightbody does know his way round a tune
    The Forum Herald™
  • Facewon wrote:
    Angry stuff from early 90s and it's still so on point.

I reckon the ’90s was the last decade where we had overtly political pop music.

I also reckon our society is still living under the same ruling political philosophies it was then, so the anger is still relevant.

There’s plenty of politically directed music nowadays but it’s not dominating the airwaves, festivals or nightclubs like it did back then.
  • It's an Abel day: 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4gLfOTNJj0WC2xKbOSqr9y?si=bdWBSIZWQfSYNWPl66ZW_Q

Can't wait for the new album, hoping we get it this month!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • A seldom mentioned song by The Weeknd that deserves far more attention and appreciation:

https://open.spotify.com/track/1FJrsh1NbV9eRw5JQt3M4e?si=gAfLCWYjQ76x9PlYymnhjQ

"Hey there lonely girl, did you have to tell your friends about the way I got you screaming my name? Did you have to tell the world? Now your girls all want to fuck, girl you could have been the one. Got to change my number twice a month when you could have simply kept it on the down low."
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Inject this into your veins...

brilliant set

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    "What's the difference between Sweden and Switzerland?"

Look above.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Probably my favourite piece of music and someone only gone and covered it with a gameboy

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Probably my favourite playlist/compilation that I have ever done:

PRINCE: 1994-2015

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2OXQ3KNR7UlG9BitQWjNPw?si=hniAg8HTSX6v-QN_SNACMg

I think this makes a good case that the second half of his career was just as interesting and funky and smooth as his heyday.
  • You're a gent Gav. Enjoy! :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1995-1996 was Prince's best era. Debate me.
  • Emancipation + Gold Experience = a very strong case.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Those were the two in my head. We will just skirt past "Come" ;)
  • Ah Come is great. Just takes a long time to warm to. Title track, Space, Dark, Letitgo, Papa... some really good stuff. The dark side/Black Album to Gold Experience's Lovesexy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I know I shouldn't, but I think my issue with it is having it on in the car with my mum and that last track playing and that was the end of everything.
  • Genuine LOL. I feel your pain. "No wonder there's a puddle there..." Yep.
  • I am very interested in your Prince album rankings friends. Doesn't have to be THE BEST, just your own personal journey.
  • Here are mine FWIW:

1. Sign 'O' The Times 2. Dirty Mind 3. Emancipation 4. Art Official Age 5. Hit N Run Phase Two 6. 1999 7. The Gold Experience 8. Musicology 9. The Black Album 10. Come 11. Prince and the New Power Generation (Love Symbol Album) 12. Parade 13. Prince 14. The Rainbow Children 15. Purple Rain 16. The Chocolate Invasion 17. One Nite Alone... 18. Batman 19. Controversy 20. Diamonds and Pearls 21. MPLSoUND 22. Hit N Run Phase One 23. Planet Earth 24. 3121 25. Around the World in a Day 26. The Truth 27. LoveSexy 28. 20Ten 29. N.E.W.S. 30. Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic 31. New Power Soul 32. Graffiti Bridge 33. The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale 34. For You 35. The Slaughterhouse 36. Plectrumelectrum 37. Chaos and Disorder 38. Lotusflower 39. Xpectation
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll need to look at the full collection I have - I started shifting over from CDs to vinyl so they're mixed all over the shop, but what I would say is probably too 3 are -

Gold
    Emancipation
    Art Official Age
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hey, 2 of our top 5 match !
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'll need to look at the full collection I have - I started shifting over from CDs to vinyl so they're mixed all over the shop, but what I would say is probably too 3 are - Gold Emancipation Art Official Age
    Yep, great choices. Art Official Age was so powerful an album to release so late in the day. So happy he went out on top like he would have wanted.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hey, 2 of our top 5 match !
    :)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think I have such a strong affinity to gold exp because it was the first time I experienced prince. I was like 9-10 when he was on totp doing The Most Beautiful Girl. I also loved all the new jack stuff and there's a lot on this album (although also on earlier ones) so I'd probably have Diamonds And Pearls as a number 4. But P Control remains an all time opener.
  • Yep, my first memories of Prince are probably Diamonds and Pearls/Love Symbol Album, especially Sexy Motherfucker. Didn't hear The Gold Exp. til a fair while into my falling in love with Prince, but loved it from the first spin.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think, looking at your list the only one I'd probably bump a lot more out of place, because I mostly agree with it, is Planet Earth. Never really clicked with me. I remember asking my friend to buy me a Sunday Express because I refused to, to get it, but I never quite *got it*. Aside from that our orders are all kind of within each other apart from me knocking up D&P.
  • I thought you really liked it? I remember you liking Future Baby Mama in particular.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I LOVE Future Baby Mama!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But the rest hasn't set with me well over the years.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!