The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.vogue.com/article/grammy-awards-2018-sexist-or-out-of-touch/amp

Might have been two years ago but then that’s how hopelessly out of touch they are it takes them two years to over compensate
    The Forum Herald™
  • Is giving Billie Eilish a Grammy overcompensating though?

It seems like her and her brother are quite talented even if they are young and have a pretty large PR team around them now.

It's okay though, she's doing the theme for the next bond film so I cannot wait to drink the tears of raging bond boomers.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    Is giving Billie Eilish a Grammy overcompensating though? It seems like her and her brother are quite talented even if they are young and have a pretty large PR team around them now. It's okay though, she's doing the theme for the next bond film so I cannot wait to drink the tears of raging bond boomers.

Maybe not. They gave her all four major ones.

But it's just a theory.

One minute it's sexist the next it's not.

But a lot of theories of mine don't work out like eating ham wraps.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Brooks link shows her to be a major project of the music industry. I'm hardly surprised as a result that she swept the board.
  • Ah, didn't realise she'd got ALLLLL the big ones. It's possible then, but as Dante points out, given the industry investment in her it's maybe not surprising the industry is patting itself on the back and confirming they were right to "choose" her by having their own industry awards give out a load of awards.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • If its anything like the Brits, it's all bought and paid for by UMG/Sony/etc.
  • Good Love is one of the best tracks from the unreleased Camille album, a gorgeous, joyous production with hooks for days. Only the naked boy and girl... Bizarrely released on the soundtrack to the Michael J. Fox movie Bright Lights, Big City. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/6VlZZJQPm034GbmGQfu3MY?si=agn_uXnJRgO0JdAirj5zJw 

This slightly different version comes from the Crystal Ball compilation of unreleased/remixed songs.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • One of the best reasons to listen to the Purple Rain deluxe edition is this song here:

https://open.spotify.com/track/14TRnDQpggU8mpAzQ4Y3GL?si=b3ER9plkRrqxRbLNAZG1Qg

Erotic City, one of the funkiest, sexiest and most sensual Prince songs, with a pre-Camille pitch shift on his vocals.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    More industry than appreciation but much appreciation from me to Mark, Beverly, Chelsea, Simon and all the guys at Music Venue Trust, they've finally managed to get the public house tax break to be applied to music venues which weer treated differently, massive sigh of relief for the live music all across the country. Next step is to get rates further reduced by having more venues designated as places of cultural and historic importance, like galleries and museums

But yeah, great work by some great people
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I always forget this one from Prince's second self-titled LP, but it really is quite lovely. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/3QwN6nANXiVnexlOMXQNp7?si=vRes1WvFTZ2pUJVmsHNFmw

It's Gonna Be Lonely.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    More industry than appreciation but much appreciation from me to Mark, Beverly, Chelsea, Simon and all the guys at Music Venue Trust, they've finally managed to get the public house tax break to be applied to music venues which weer treated differently, massive sigh of relief for the live music all across the country. Next step is to get rates further reduced by having more venues designated as places of cultural and historic importance, like galleries and museums But yeah, great work by some great people

High five for that. It’s been a long fight to get this far.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes it has, looks like it's gained some press so hopefully that can help kickstart further action. But that said it might only look like it got press to me with websites tailoring newsfeeds to my interests
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Depeche Mode 81-85

Quite an extraordinary 4 years of synth pop slash synth pop gloom goth amazing ness
    The Forum Herald™
  • I suspect that AM by Arctic Monkeys has the strongest run of four songs to close an album ever. From fireside onwards every song is a banger
    The Forum Herald™
  • I really need to give that another listen. My brother is a big fan.
  • A bit of a break from True Detective to listen to some Bob Dylan. 

yCRPlD.jpg

Starting with:

Well, they're going to the country, they're gonna retire
    They're taking a streetcar named desire
    Looking in the window at the pecan pie
    Lot of things they'd like they would never buy
    Neither one gonna turn and run
    They're making a voyage to the sun
    "His Master's voice is calling me"
    Says Tweedle-Dee Dum to Tweedle-Dee Dee

[font=arial, sans-serif][/font]
  • My favourite Dylan song of all is Tangled Up in Blue, which some of you will already know. It has a very personal resonance for me as it was a song loved by my father - Blood on the Tracks was his favourite album and he bought it for me - and I always heard it as the story of his, at one time, loving my mother. And in a way a conversation between me and him about her. This is the version released on the album, but the original New York version is also really beautiful - and lyrically different. My favourite version however is the one on the way, way underappreciated live album Real Live.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6Vcwr9tb3ZLO63F8DL8cqu?si=qffcdRY0RgyxJf4Q0oHJVA
  • Rocks & Gravel is in one of the early True Detective episodes iirc. Magnificent soundtrack, I managed to download most of the tracks I was missing to make a complete playlist myself as it wasn't available at the time. Kristofferson's Casey's Last Ride is on there too.
  • Yep, I noticed Rocks & Gravel in a scene in a bar where Rust talks to two female prostitutes.
  • I really should watch it again.  First viewing?  Season two was poor but S3 was suprisingly good.  

Pointless but fun exercise: somewhere between seasons two and three I played a 'pick a good theme tune for the next season' game at work, and took about four hours of song hopping to settle on this:

Reckon that could be edited down nicely.
  • Third time watching it. I actually dug season 2 as a James Ellroy kinda deal, though it is certainly the weakest of the three. Thought the third was excellent, as good as the first IMO.
  • New Bombay Bicycle Club is as expected. Great band.

Backing it up with some links. Saw them last night at a sold out Barrowlands which remains the best live venue on earth, they were stunning.

Really enjoying this new one

Yeah they're not earth-shattering or genre bending, but they stick to what they're good at. Top drawer melodies and sounds, and I dunno, I just really like his voice.
  • I think there's also just immense admiration of them bordering on jealousy. At the time they came out me and my friends were in a Arctic Monkeys-lite band and damn if we still somehow were together today, I'd want to sound exactly like Bombay Bicycle Club.

Not that we were good or anything. We were shite. But still.
  • Aye, they’re great. New album is class.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • This Vevo performance that went up today of Kesha doing Raising Hell acoustic is about a thousand times better than the actual single, thanks to it omitting the shitty synthpop elements and ramping up the gospel side a bit.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Put me down as a fan of the new Bombay Bicycle Club album too.
  • poprock wrote:
    This Vevo performance that went up today of Kesha doing Raising Hell acoustic is about a thousand times better than the actual single, thanks to it omitting the shitty synthpop elements and ramping up the gospel side a bit.

Has she dropped the $ sign officially??
    The Forum Herald™
  • poprock wrote:
    This Vevo performance that went up today of Kesha doing Raising Hell acoustic is about a thousand times better than the actual single, thanks to it omitting the shitty synthpop elements and ramping up the gospel side a bit.

I never understand why these kind of videos feel it's a good idea to make sure the dumpy white bloke session musicians are onscreen. It never helps.
  • So it feels authentic
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!