The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • I don't really keep up with most new music for some reason and I guess I catch up with music at approximately the same rate that I paint. Slow boye 4eva.

I can't wait to hear what 2020 is all about in a couple of years.

Edit: Aw yeah the fucking PageChamp is in the building. Enjoy clicking back to page 436, suckers!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • "I hear something." 

c4U8bP.jpg

!!!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    New Garth Merenghi ???
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • :D
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Why the fuck have people been hiding Doll Skin from me?
  • I am SO EXCITED for the new Weeknd LP. Damn. I really hope it arrives soon. In the meantime, why not listen along to Muggins' Magical XO playlist? :D 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4gLfOTNJj0WC2xKbOSqr9y?si=2cQXsiSIQ5KTvSBVfrxBBA
  • The very definition of Noir/The New R&B: 

https://open.spotify.com/track/5FUn6vN4PDHXxqnb5LQhJQ?si=QXOM72rmSUiL-zN9CZyT-Q

"This ain't nuthin to relate to..."

Released in 2013 on the album of the same name, Kiss Land rivals Echoes of Silence's Initiation for the darkest that Abel Tesfaye has ever gotten. The production is gorgeous, hard as fuck, mind altering and all around representative of the quality on the album, which has no bad tracks. A Horror story of debauchery and perversion and power and a belief in excess, above all other things.
  • From The Weeknd's debut Mixtape, House of Balloons, this song - which shares the title of the album/with Glass Table Girls - is one of the few early Weeknd songs that Abel still regularly performs in concerts. 

"This is fun, fun, fun, fun, fun..." 

https://open.spotify.com/track/50iiDJGpAPdr2VTrz999XA?si=Sst84_hHTsuJWavmSY7-LA

A song in two sections, the first being delirious, drugged up but with the beauty of Abel's voice cutting through, in a way that is still characteristic of his sound today. This duality would go on to inform the title of his 2015 mega hit, Beauty Behind the Madness. The second section sees The Weeknd go dark in a rap style. 

"I heard he do drugs now.
    You heard wrong
    I been on it for a minute
    We just never act the fool
    That's just how we fucking living
    And when we act the fool
    It's probably cause we mixed it."
  • Can't Feel My Face was the song that turned The Weeknd from a successful, but still alternative/underground artist to an international superstar, and it is not hard to hear why. With a flair, production and vocal performance that heavily recalls Michael Jackson's Off the Wall and Thriller, this song was praised by Michael's producer, Quincy Jones. An addictive song that manages to be fairly odd and informed by the drug culture and weird sex of XO. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEI4qSrkPAs
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Bought The Twilight Sad's live at oran mor on vinyl yesterday and it turns tough songs about horrible experiences into wrought ones on an acoustic guitar. Gut wrenching and essential Scottish pop for those who are brave enough.
  • One of the best guest shots by The Weeknd is Nocturnal, a collaboration with the English electronic outfit, Disclosure.

"Street lights, turn on one by one
    My hope is, descending like the sun
    Try to tell myself there's
    Freedom in the loneliness (oh baby)
    Always restless, story of my life
    Disconnected, body clock's not right
    Try to tell myself that, I'mma get some sleep tonight
    Found myself where I started, this isn't where I want to be
    The time that I find hardest, always comes eventually
    My shadow doesn't show in the dark
    The night time is inclined to my heart
    The emptiness I felt from the start
    Will follow me till I fall apart
    Nocturnal, nocturnal, nocturnal, nocturnal."

Atmospheric, a beautiful vocal from Abel, and a deceptively hard going production, make this an ideal club song. When the instrumental break comes in slowly and then blasts your ears off your head, I lose it. Gorgeous synths. A similar subject matter to the R.E.M. song, Daysleeper, and definitely Noir in nature! 

https://open.spotify.com/track/5BwBeR4L4cyfXcoCmPDJNm?si=gqFouPJcRXm4O1xFxUJoZg
  • Call Out My Name, from the exquisite My Dear Melancholy, from 2018, is a very personal song about the pain and heartbreak that Abel felt when his relationship with Selena Gomez ended. 

"We found each other
    I helped you out of a broken place
    You gave me comfort
    But falling for you was my mistake
    I put you on top, I put you on top
    I claimed you so proud and openly
    And when times were rough, when times were rough
    I made sure I held you close to me
    So call out my name (call out my name)
    Call out my name when I kiss you so gently
    I want you to stay (I want you to stay)
    I want you to stay, even though you don't want me
    Girl, why can't you wait? (Why can't you wait, baby?)
    Girl, why can't you wait 'til I fall out of love?
    Won't you call out my name? (Call out my name)
    Girl, call out my name, and I'll be on my way and
    I'll be on ..."

This song to me defines The Weeknd's sound and appeal in a way just as strong as Wicked Games did in 2011. The album is a bit of a throwback to the sound of Kiss Land and Trilogy, while also fitting in very nicely with his more Pop orientated output from 2015/2016. I am intrigued to hear whether Chapter VI will be influenced by the incredibly positive reception that My Dear Melancholy, got. Going on the strength of both Heartless and Blinding Lights, I would imagine that it will be something of a combination of sounds, in a similar way to Starboy, which melded the Noir R&B of his earlier work and his Pop sensibilities very well. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ZoCHID9GI
  • You really like the weeknd huh?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yep.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The fourth collaboration (Prisoner, Party Monster, Stargirl Interlude) between The Weeknd and Lana Del Rey, Lust For Life is the best by far. Manages to juggle the two personas of The Weeknd and Lana and find a satisfying common ground. A love song for and from often (or seemingly?) cynical people. 

"I think I've been in Hollywood for too long..." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP4eqhWc7sI
  • D.D. or Dirty Diana is one of two released covers by The Weeknd - the other being the OVO Radio released recording of R. Kelly's Down Low (Nobody Has To Know) - and it is an incredible interpretation of Michael Jackson's classic tale of groupie love/hate from his 1987 LP, Bad. It is easy to see the massive influence that this song had on the entire persona of The Weeknd, having a dark atmosphere and the exaltation/condemnation of mindless and weird sex. The power dynamics at play and the need for Diana to be loved by Michael/Abel so that she feels her life more meaningful is something that is heard across The Weeknd's entire discography. 

https://open.spotify.com/track/7eZ7ODAt9cALYnWLO8F6Fd?si=OpO_kNt7RfO9MYG5M2l3hQ
  • One of two songs co-produced/written by Daft Punk on Starboy, I Feel It Coming is a beautiful, retro-ish sounding love song. As already mentioned above, Starboy was incredibly good at melding the dark and light sides of The Weeknd - his Noir R&B at play, but also a side that can do a straight up love song. The video is really cool too. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFLhGq0060w
  • So the list of people who have a career thanks to Kanye wests 808s and heartbreaks is short but distinguished and includes Drake and The Weeknd
    The Forum Herald™
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Only a few minutes in so might be terrible, but I reckon a few of you will find something to enjoy in this

• I'd say Kanye was a huge influence on the New R&B, especially that album, but I'd also say that The-Dream was a big, big reason why the genre (narrowly) escaped death and became one of the most interesting genres in popular music.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Only a few minutes in so might be terrible, but I reckon a few of you will find something to enjoy in this
    Ah excellent, I'll give this a watch tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Also, Kanye had a similarly large impact on Rap with 808s. If Drake popularized and normalized a rapper singing, then rapping with melody and all that goodness that Post Malone, Juice WRLD, XXXtentacion, Mac Miller and all the rest are/were into, then it was Kanye who started it.
  • The Ride is the closing song on Drake's Take Care, and was reportedly his favourite on the album. It features a hook and chorus by The Weeknd, and in Muggins' opinion, Drake's best lyrical outing. Absolutely hypnotic, beautiful, inspiring, insightful and verging on profound. Love it. 

"Yeah
    I hate when, I hate when people say they feel me man
    I hate that shit
    It'll be a long time before y'all feel me, if ever
    For real

You won't feel me 'til everybody
    Say they love you, but it's not love
    And your suit is oxblood
    And the girl you fucking hates you
    And your friends faded off shots of
    What you ordered to forget about the game that you on top of
    Your famous girlfriend's ass keep getting thicker than a plot does
    And when you forget it, that's when she pop up
    And you got a drop but you ride around with the top up
    Or get three SUVs for niggas dressed like refugees
    And deal with the questions about all your excessive needs
    And you do dinners at French Laundry in Napa Valley
    Scallops and glasses of Dolce, that shit's right up your alley
    Yeah, you see a girl and you ask about her
    Bitches smiling at you, it must be happy hour
    They put the cloth across your lap soon as you sat down
    It's feeling like you own every place you choose to be at now
    Walking through airport security with your hat down
    Instead of getting a pat down, they just keep on
    Saying that they feel you, nigga
    Yeah
    It's been too long
    Been way too long
    I've been faded too long, oh
    Why won't it stop? The ride
    You won't feel me 'til you want it so bad you tell yourself you're in it
    And tell the world around you that your paperwork is finished
    And steal your mother's debit cards so you maintain an image
    And ride around in overpriced rental cars that ain't tinted
    You need a minute? You got it
    You know it's real when your latest nights are your greatest nights
    The sun is up when you get home, that's just a way of life
    Apartment 1503, some couches and paintings
    When you record with two others that want the same things, yeah
    It start to feel better than home feels
    And so you up there every night, you swear you getting close
    That champagne money was for gas and phone bills
    But shit, you 'bout to spend it on what matters most
    You drop a couple songs in hopes that you could be the nigga
    And come out every night to let the city see they nigga
    Telling stories that nobody relate to
    And even though they hate you
    They just keep on telling you they feel you, nigga
    Yeah
    It's been too long, man
    Why won't it stop? The ride (uh)
    I haven't been inside Terminal 1 and 3 in so long
    I'm driving right up to it now
    Make sure you got your coat on
    That runway can be cold especially after summer's rolled on
    And all you knew is alcohol and city lights and slow songs
    For four months out the year, it's got you asking whats good at home
    What's good at home?
    The same hoes are still at it, I shoulda known
    My young niggas popping M's and sipping dirty Jones
    Problem children that all be repping October's Own
    Brand new girl and she still growing
    Brand new titties, stitches still showing
    Yeah, and she just praying that it heals good
    I'm 'bout to fuck and I'm just praying that it feels good
    I really don't know much but, shit, I know a secret
    They say more money more problems, my nigga don't believe it
    I mean, sure, there's some bills and taxes I'm still evading
    But I blew six million on myself and I feel amazing
    Young money maker, season ticket holder
    Season switching over
    I come through them bitches still scorching as if I didn't notice
    You niggas getting older, I see no threat in Yoda
    I'm out here messing over the lives of these niggas
    That couldn't fuck with my freshman floater
    Look at that fucking chip on your nephew's shoulder
    My sophomore, I was all for it, they all saw it
    My juniors and senior will only get meaner
    Take care, nigga
    I'm still faded, faded, faded (the ride)
    I'm still faded, faded, faded
    Why won't it stop? Oh, the ride..."

https://open.spotify.com/track/4xRxYWgAtL6pzRz94GlZlA?si=EZufXrKuR3y08yHABuhtnQ

Thanks for joining me, Muggins, for all this Weeknd chatter!
  • Listened to about an hour of
    The weeknd on Spotify ... I prefer his drake sound to his Michael Jackson sound.. he can do a banging chorus .

Highlight of the day was Lewis capaldi shilling for Renault Clio what a fucking sell out

The Forum Herald™
  • From The Vulture:
    The 100 Greatest Emo Songs of All Time: A sweeping look at rock’s most misunderstood genre.

Skip the pseudy preamble and dig into the write-ups of their top 100 picks. I expected a car crash, but it’s actually not a bad selection. Some great stuff, some shite, but it’s a fairly balanced overview of an unfairly-maligned scene. My only big criticism is that it’s a myopically US-centric list.
  • The title of The Weeknd's new album has been revealed:

https://twitter.com/theweeknd/status/1228026240029741058

AFTER HOURS
  • That sounds Noir as fuck. I'm so in.
  • BANGER.

That fucking drop! “Underground is where we wanna go …”
  • Our YouTube algorithm is on fire tonight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!