Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • More draw.

In the first half of the game draw is weak, in the second half (especially if you have 1 extra energy) it's king. Obviously some turns you get fucked, but the game is about building around those turns. I think in terms of Card Draw RNG, it's one of the factors that is very hard to get over as a new player. 

There's never 100% certainty that you will win, even with a strong deck, but against the third act more than any, what you play and what you anticipate being played next turn is huge and definitely something that is very hard to get a handle on.
  • Scary to think how many hours I would put into this if it came out on phone especially if it doesn't require internet access
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I keep my deck really tight, dropping those strikes and defends as much as possible early on. Ideally, it's around 15 cards with Silent and Ironclad for me.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Tempy wrote:
    This game is extremely under my skin right now and eating all of my time. need to find some arbitrary way of limiting myself. Low mood and addictive game is a bad, bad combo.

Yeah beware. I'm in a good mood and it's still eating the hours.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    More draw.

In the first half of the game draw is weak, in the second half (especially if you have 1 extra energy) it's king. Obviously some turns you get fucked, but the game is about building around those turns. I think in terms of Card Draw RNG, it's one of the factors that is very hard to get over as a new player. 

There's never 100% certainty that you will win, even with a strong deck, but against the third act more than any, what you play and what you anticipate being played next turn is huge and definitely something that is very hard to get a handle on.

Tbh as much as im loving the game and will continue to rinse it I don't think my brain is wired for the patience and choice etc that is needed. It's still GotY for me but one I'll get victories on through war of attrition rather than strat.

I work better on rogues that are more immediate, like Cells and Isaac
  • I keep my deck really tight, dropping those strikes and defends as much as possible early on. Ideally, it's around 15 cards with Silent and Ironclad for me.

All depends on the cards though, I'd say you're only getting bloat if you go bast... 20/25, depending on your deck and draw potential. If you have 2 or 3 copies of Shrug It Off, Backflip or Coolheaded, you can probably afford 25.
  • More draw. In the first half of the game draw is weak, in the second half (especially if you have 1 extra energy) it's king. Obviously some turns you get fucked, but the game is about building around those turns. I think in terms of Card Draw RNG, it's one of the factors that is very hard to get over as a new player.  There's never 100% certainty that you will win, even with a strong deck, but against the third act more than any, what you play and what you anticipate being played next turn is huge and definitely something that is very hard to get a handle on.
    Tbh as much as im loving the game and will continue to rinse it I don't think my brain is wired for the patience and choice etc that is needed. It's still GotY for me but one I'll get victories on through war of attrition rather than strat. I work better on rogues that are more immediate, like Cells and Isaac

Nah I get ya. I can talk the talk on StS, but I struggle to walk it. There are a lot of decisions to make, a lot of easy to miss optimal plays. I think, to its benefit, Ascension 0 is just a very fun game in its own right, and you can generally get quite far with some good cards and some knowledge of how things work. But I am useless at Isaac compared to this, and that's not just a reaction thing, it's a knowledge retention thing.

I like that there are a handful of hints you can give someone early game that drastically improve their play - Upgrade Zap/Bash/Neutralise before an elite, make sure you have a AoE or High Damage card before an Elite, try and hit only 3 fights before an Elite, etc
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've got a ton of knowledge with Isaac, synergies and all other kinda shit and can grind/own a win with the best of em. This probably doesn't help having never really played anything like it so it's a big data dump to process. No doubt I'll pick most of it up but for some reason the data for Spire doesn't stick in me brain. Still make the same stupid mistakes despite making them tens of times before.
  • Will be doing another casual stream of this this evening. Probably Ironclad and Defect trying to clear Ascension 02.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It’s a lot of different and unique theory, but it’s also quite pure? I think that’s why it attracts people, because in most card games there is very little true randomness. Something in Slay the Spire that says “does X to a random enemy” is really the only real RNG you’re dealing with, because all your deck and draw info is obfuscated only by probability - and there are relics that take that away. Good play is about accepting probability and building decks that work in spite of it, so understanding why a card is good because of its cost is really helpful.

Something like Noxious Fumes is a really good example cos it deals 2 damage to every enemy at the start of your turn. Which means you get 0 damage for 1 energy on turn 1, the 2 free damage on turn 2, then 3 on turn 3 etc. If a battle is expected to go on for more than 3 rounds it pays for itself in the first 3 rounds, after then it’s starting to ramp uncontrollably. You could probably win any almost fight as the silent with a Noxious Fumes and enough block.

Ball Lightning is similar too too, because it’s 7 damage, so better than a strike, plus 3 free damage on turn 1, then 3 on turn 2, and so on. Compared to something like Sunder which is situational because you need 3 free energy, no debuffs, enemies with no block under 24 health. In the right deck it kicks ass and takes names, but is it better than Ball Lightning? Probably not.
  • I like the number of cards that are on offer, I enjoyed hearthstone but the deck building meta bit I found over whelming
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • It’s a good number, reinforced by the drafting technique. I think the disadvantage is that you still want to try and build archetype decks like you would in a CCG, even though that’s actually the worst way to play.
  • Strim will be up from 21:00. 

http://www.twitch.tv/mm_roujin
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I’m away sorry pal :(
  • I’m away sorry pal :(
  • I'm still doin' it!
  • I’ll be playing Forza / PSVR, sorry pal :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'M STILL DOIN' IT.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh no...

Playing as The Defect, had a card that would always be in my first hand, costs 3 energy but would double the damage / block etc for every first card played each turn. That combined with two Streamline+ was pretty good. 40 damage, and after using the card twice cost would be reduced to 0.

Too bad I used out against a minion during the Act 2 boss, in stead of the boss. Lost that fight with only 44 hp on the boss left, it was the armour thing that spawns 2 minions. Didn't help that I miscalculated the damage on that turn, but I don't think I could have prevented it.
  • Echo Form plays the first card you play each time twice, and is usually the win state of a Defect deck. It synergies really well with a lot of cards, but especially things like Defrag, Biased Cognition and Electrodynamics. Definitely keep it mind in the future!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah that's the one. Managed to unlock 3 more cards for The Defect. Think Sundered is in there now too which seems useful for minions but not so much bosses.

I don't think I have seen the 3 cards you're mentioning yet. Got 3 more Defect unlocks to go.

Have been taking a lot of risks today which usually saw me dead after an elite.

Some fun stuff going on now. There's has to be a way to have constant lightning with the Defect I think? There's one card that gets you an orb whenever you take attack damage, and there are some of those X cards that could be useful too.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    When I realized things where going well:
    MLsxofC.jpg

When things went well:
    4DDYfC6.jpg
  • Excellent work Nina! I can already see the winning Relic in your Champ fight: Withered Hand. So OP for Defect. What final boss did you get?

The trick to infinite lightning is to never use Dualcast. It's a rotten card for Lightning builds, really only works on Dark Orb builds which take a bit of manipulation to get going. Evoking and losing an orb at 1 mana for 6 damage might actually be a negative card effect for The Defect if you don't finish the fight that turn, or use it to evoke a frost orb to save you from losing HP.
  • Also the latest patch gave the game Mod support... and... well. People have gone crazy. Here's a copy and paste of a RPS comment that has reviewed a bunch of them:
    Recommended:
    Mad Scientist – Multiple themes such as Fuel (a resource you earn and spend), and 0 cost cards called Trinkets that you can shuffle into your deck. Felt really close to normal StS balance and theme. Recolored card art, but that works.

The Seeker – Themes include debuff management (both self and enemy), and card stacking / draw manipulation. Quite clever mechanics, didn’t feel over the top. Solid choice. Again, recolored cart art, but it works.

The Disciple – A character based around the Time Eater – quite interesting theme and one of the few custom card art ones done well. Themes include Card retention, intent shifting, card transforming, and temporary relics, which are pretty interesting.

The Mystic – It’s the FF14 Red Mage, but in Slay The Spire. This one feels pretty incongruent with the art direction in StS, but it is internally consistent, so that’s nice. Honestly it worked quite well.

The Blackbeard – honestly I really like the concept; gold matters, you can have weapons that then buff your attacks until they run out of durability. The biggest things holding it back are the black and white or ripped from Pirates of the Caribbean cardart, and some weird design choices. But still, fun.

Recommended with reservations:
    The Valiant – A nun/paladin who uses a lot of life loss / life gain cards where your hp matters. Custom art, but…I dunno, never felt like it came together.

The Witch – mainly themed around curses. Interesting setup and pretty fun, but inconsistent and didn’t feel particularly coherent in the way that some better ones did.

The Construct – in theory, I get what they’re going for – an adaptable character with lots of builds. The problem is that you don’t always get a chance to really get to those builds because cards are random, so I had plenty of builds I couldn’t put together at all and just died before the first boss.

Weird / Janky / No:
    The Beaked Cultist – Oh boy this is just janky as all hell. Featuring your favorite BIRD BOY, the Cultist, you have just a nutty selection of spells and abilities.Playing it feels like losing at 4D chess.

The Necromancer – Feels translated from another language. Interesting themes, but really needs cleaned up. Custom art looks rough.

The Sage – MSPaint as all hell and super weird to play.

The Warrior – based on combo’ing abilities together, but the UI doesn’t expose enough information for this to work without making a bunch of manual notes.
  • Dualcast has a place imo in lightning decks. It's a good finisher in early fights and if you get focus or echo or chain lightning it becomes good for dealing with minions at any point in a run. All the decent lightning decks I've ever had generate so many orbs you're rarely in a situation where you dualcast your last orb and can't replace it.
  • Yeah but any card that needs a specific deck archetype to be good is dead weight until that archetype comes together. It's ok early on if it can finish something, but other than that - yuck. Compared to Zap, it bad.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    The final boss was this diamond thing and a donut. Which was great with the "lightning targets all enemies" card. I had only been focusing on one and the other was < 100hp once I got to him.

I haven't used dual cast that much, but I couldn't get rid of it. Think I only had 2 chances of discarding cards and I threw away some strikes. Haven't even been able to upgrade as many as I wanted to, needed the campfire for health. Lucky enough I got something that gave me 4 cards as a fight reward for the first 2 acts (I think, must have been the act 2 boss that gave me a relic that took rewards away) so I had a bit more choice.

Am close to the last unlock with the Defect I think, and then it's back to the other 2 for unlocks and wins.
  • I can't stop playing this. When I start to get bored I just change character.
  • I had After Image and 5 dexterity and I STILL couldn't generate enough block to stop Time Eater's bullshit 15x3 attacks. Fuck off!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!