Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • What else stacks?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Actually, ignore that, I'm being an eejit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Every fight you get a choice of one of three cards, or the option to skip if you don’t want any of them.

Shops are the little bag icon, you can remove cards for a cost there (focus on removing strikes and curses)

Question mark icons can be a shop, a fight, or a unique event. The latter often involve card removal or trade.

So you can't just mess with the deck whenever you want? Ok, thanks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So the discard card options that pop up occasionally are for trimming your deck? So you have an idea of what cards are going to pop up next round?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think this is the first card based game I've ever played. So I'm kind of clueless.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What a nub.

• Kow wrote:
    So the discard card options that pop up occasionally are for trimming your deck? So you have an idea of what cards are going to pop up next round?

Yes, and also to discard curses. I suppose everybody has a different way to play it but I use discard as much as possible to trim the strikes and defends.

I'd no idea about card games either until this. I love the way you have to adjust your playing style depending on what card are available early on. I hate people who use organic to describe stuff that changes on the fly but this game is organic.
  • To clarify:

Remove: gets rid of a card completely from your deck.

Discard: puts a card in your discard pile after using it in battle and it'll come back around.

Exhaust: card is done for that battle and goes to the exhaust pile, but is still in your deck for future battles.

You want to remove shit cards and curses to streamline and avoid neg effects.

Exhaust means you want to pick and choose when you use them, because they're one and done for that battle.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Still on my Silent loss streak. In the 50s now.
  • This is driving me insane.
  • THE CURSE IS LIFTED

AUMuO6N.jpeg

QHhJflw.jpeg
  • Yay.
  • Just been watching Temp's recommendation joINrbs vids. The over explain is excellent.
  • Grats temps!! Poison is super good for time fucker as he can't escape with his bullshit turn stealing and his bullshit healing.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Poison with Catalyst x3 multipliers is the way forward with Silent imo. I just got fucked on Ascension 2 Ironclad.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I am officially terrible at this. Can't even get to the second boss after trying to think things through. Pretty sure I'm too timid and rest too much as can never ramp up my hand enough to do anything substantial.
  • You've got to go for it a bit on the first map. No rests, all upgrades and at least 2 elites. You can get away with 25 HP for all map 1 bosses except for maybe slimed.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Grats temps!! Poison is super good for time fucker as he can't escape with his bullshit turn stealing and his bullshit healing.

Poison helped, but I've had poison in every build. The winning cards were Malaise and Well-laid plans.
    I am officially terrible at this. Can't even get to the second boss after trying to think things through. Pretty sure I'm too timid and rest too much as can never ramp up my hand enough to do anything substantial.

Mate I just lost 50 runs in a row before succeeding! It's a hard game. Resting is generally bad, so you want to path your best. In act 2 you need a lot of ramping damage and block to beat most bosses, and you'll need specific things to beat certain elites - it's all about learning what your deck is ready to handle rather than thinking "I need these cards for a poison build" or, "I need these cards for a a shiv build"

That's why I watch all those videos, cos there's a lot of info and information in the game that's difficult to parse without the right sort of mind, sort of like when you learn how powerful the D6 and similar items are in Isaac.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You've got to go for it a bit on the first map. No rests, all upgrades and at least 2 elites. You can get away with 25 HP for all map 1 bosses except for maybe slimed.

I just followed your advice.

Axah4LA.jpg

I owe you several beers you handsome bastard. Apparition for life. Runic Pyramid -  Bare STR - Double tap - Heavy Blade+ to finish off Deca in one card lol
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Mate I just lost 50 runs in a row before succeeding! It's a hard game. Resting is generally bad, so you want to path your best. In act 2 you need a lot of ramping damage and block to beat most bosses, and you'll need specific things to beat certain elites - it's all about learning what your deck is ready to handle rather than thinking "I need these cards for a poison build" or, "I need these cards for a a shiv build" That's why I watch all those videos, cos there's a lot of info and information in the game that's difficult to parse without the right sort of mind, sort of like when you learn how powerful the D6 and similar items are in Isaac.

I'll give the videos a watch tomorrow as off a week for obvious reasons. The last run just completely clicked after SG's tip, you own the first floor you can then get a bit cocky.
  • Definitely. Easier with the Ironclad cos he has inbuilt sustain. I find Silent a lot tougher because every hallway fight she tanks is murder.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    it is both the best game and the absolute worst and i fucking love it
  • I read it's coming out of early access soon... I won't be able to justify not buying this anymore.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    You've got to go for it a bit on the first map. No rests, all upgrades and at least 2 elites. You can get away with 25 HP for all map 1 bosses except for maybe slimed.

I just followed your advice.
    One of the most useful tips I've heard in Tempy's Recommended Videos (only 2 hours in in the first one) is to try and go for elites with a campfire before them. If you need to heal, you can, and otherwise you can make your deck stronger before a hard fight.

• Go DS. Yeah those vids are extensive. I've not watched a full run yet but I'll get round to it.

The addiction is getting quite bad now. I don't suppose it'll be long before I'll be driven to some clinic by a sobbing relative. I hope they let me keep my phone.
  • Went astroblade (I think) the one that transforms strikes and defends.

lololol.

I got nearly all random skill cards. 

AIt didn't end well.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I was about to beat the top boss when I accidentally xed the game off. That's what I get for playing in windowed mode.
  • Nearly had Time Eater on Asc2 Ironclad. One more strike and I'd have had him.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Went astroblade (I think) the one that transforms strikes and defends. lololol. I got nearly all random skill cards.  AIt didn't end well.

Yeah it rarely does for me too. Not a fan of random anything if it can be helped except Confused. Going Confused with a relic and then getting all the most energy intensive cards is something I've been meaning to try. Man this game. Might be in my top 5 ever.
  • Blimey, some of the Steam achievements are quite intimidating.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!