Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bought. My life is no more. Not that good on phone. Screen is a little small, but perfect on iPad. Here I go again on my own.
  • Back on the stage.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yas, Silent Asc 20 down!
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice!
  • Just started to play seriously because of iOS.
    I’m getting stomped on floor two but have managed to get to the floor two boss and nearly beat it last night. Are there any guides that cover this actual release? Everything I find on YouTube is early access related.

I’m asking in case I am missing something obvious.
    I’m not a complete novice. Played this type of thing before but not a savant or anything.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Hav you unlocked everything?

Also don’t take every card.
  • I have no idea how or when I stopped playing, maybe my play routine changed and I don't play my Switch much anymore, but I stopped at 95 hours of play and on Asc 4, 2, 2 or something crap like that.

Must get back to this, I miss it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Just started to play seriously because of iOS. I’m getting stomped on floor two but have managed to get to the floor two boss and nearly beat it last night. Are there any guides that cover this actual release? Everything I find on YouTube is early access related. I’m asking in case I am missing something obvious. I’m not a complete novice. Played this type of thing before but not a savant or anything.

Watch a few runs by this guy is probably not totally shit advice for getting a feel of what to value or prioritize when going through a run: 

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Hav you unlocked everything? Also don’t take every card.

In the 10s of hours I've played this, that only occurred to me a couple days of ago. Felt quite dumb in that moment.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve started again on iOS. It’s too easy now to pick up and play on the sofa or in bed.
  • Same. New laptop not arriving until the 12th. Had to do it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nice. What did you got for in the end?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Just started to play seriously because of iOS. I’m getting stomped on floor two but have managed to get to the floor two boss and nearly beat it last night. Are there any guides that cover this actual release? Everything I find on YouTube is early access related. I’m asking in case I am missing something obvious. I’m not a complete novice. Played this type of thing before but not a savant or anything.

Every time you're about to pick a card, look at your deck first by tapping the button. Think how it'll work with the deck you have now, not the deck you want in your head. 

Also, think about upcoming Elites and which cards will work best with them. You might not exactly know which Elite it's going to be but there they are act specific, so in act 1 you know there are 3 but only 3, so what cards might I need?
  • And as Boris pointed out, don't underestimate draw/discard cards - cards that let you draw more cards and let you control your deck. This will take a bit of experience as they don't immediately seem attractive.
  • Haven’t played it in ages but the key to getting better is to not approach it like a deck builder, or like you are drafting an MTG style deck. You pick cards based on what your deck needs for immediate challenges to your run, balanced with overall synergy. Sometimes you have to drop the S+ card for a B+ card because the B+ card is going to actually work against an elite, or a boss, or fill a hole in your current deck.
  • Also don’t forget potions!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And what makes it great is how all of that advice is then modified by what relics you end up getting. For example exhausting cards may not seem great but if you get the spoon or dead branch all of a sudden that changes how you can then use those cards to your advantage.
  • Hav you unlocked everything?
    Not yet.
    I’ve been creating decks that i think will work well with the cards I’ve been offered at the time.
    I still have a fair chunk missing in the compendium for each character. I guess the advice is to not read too much into my progress until everything is unlocked?
  • There’s probably some savants that can beat the game from a brand new save but I think there’s some good stuff - cards and relics - behind the unlocks. Probably things with more intuitive synergy.
  • As good as the early game is, it's simply brilliant at the higher ascensions, when every card counts and subtle synergies become more important. You can get away with mistakes and still do ok when you're unlocking. Anybody done the no relics achievement yet? Or the no rare or uncommon cards?
  • I find it impossible to remember not to pick them up.
  • Also, why does the forum look different?
  • Are you drunk?
  • I'm not. Maybe that's it.
  • Ok, I guess im after generalisation more than deep delve deck discussion.
    All this relates to if the cards come up for picking.

For warrior mans are you best going with as many cheap attacks as possible. Picking defend cards that cost low amounts but up your defence more than the standard shield cards?
    I am currently on a run that hits enemies every time I gain block which is quite useful. I'm picking cards around that, i.e.  do damage and add block or, enhance your block etc...I also have a couple of upgrade your whole hand for the rest of combat cards in the deck.

For sneaky hunter lady.
    I think I was doing ok with poison cards, cheap add/double existing poison with gain energy and large hands or draw cards.

Roboty thing.
    I haven't a clue, he's the the least straightforward to get your head around with the evoking orbs etc... I guess a few cards that evoke but also replace the orbs, so you aren't orbless, and cards to buff existing orbs?

Is there anything that im obviously missing?

EDIT
    Tried watching that video posted above - thanks but its 1:30 of weird poetry and asides to the chat and too fast to see card selections!
  • All 3 characters don't have a best option. That's why the game is so good. The best option depends on what cards are in your deck, and what route through the floor you are taking and what the bosses and elite fights you have coming up are. That's why people are talking about card picks, knowing what card to pick or skip is a huge part of the game. 

If you are going to try and do the elite fights on floor 1 for instance, you want cards that do big chunks of damage in single hits to deal gremlin nob or shell lad because they will scale out of control on you if the fight goes on too long. On the other hand the guardians fight needs you to either bring some AoE or have consistent defence to handle the attacks incoming every turn. Depending on what you are going to do, your choice of cards that you pick needs to be informed more by the enemies you have to fight, rather than what you want the deck to do, unless you are being shown cards with really good synergy that are strong in your deck regardless of your current situation. 

Jorbs also does in depth vids called overexplain runs where he goes through things in more detail, here's the first one on deckbuilding, might be worth a flick through if the other video was skipping over too much. 
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • There's no real answer on a card to card basis.

You are looking for cards that answer deficiencies in your deck. So I dunno if you can answer "am I best going with card X or Y" the same every time, because you need to solve certain issues rather than pick up cards that are on paper better than others.

Also falling into the archetype trap - defend is good for Ironclad, but it's not your be all and end all. Low cost cards that have high utility seem good, but you need expensive cards because they really good, and most often they get played once and and go away forever like powers. Also being able to play 9 cards a turn is amazing until you fight something that punishes you for playing more cards, or you pick up something that makes multi-card plays less efficient. Also early on deck bloat can get in your way as a player.

Any deck that does that well will also need to other things too. You can see the issue with your assumption of Defect - orbs are the primary way of playing him, but not the only way, and even in orbs there are a ton of options to go with. You 

It's hard to say "oh you should generally aim for these cards" because your aims change based on so much - relics and potions and upgrades especially. The easier cards to advocate for are scaling cards like Demon Form and Caltrops, as for damage - you ideally need a source of burst damage, a source of AoE damage. For block, you want good utility block like Backflip, Armaments or Shrug it Off.

None of this is to suggest you have misunderstood the game,, you've just only started and you're falling into the traps that everyone does.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!