Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • I've been a wuss with fasting. Seems such a crazy penalty.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You really need deva form for it to work. So yeah tricky. But imagine getting two or three on a boss and you’ll smash it. That penalty on normal energy is a killer.
  • Can't beat it with Defect. Got extremely close on a couple of occasions then had a bad run of card draws when I thought I could finish the boss. Since then I'm getting nowhere near level 3. 
    Guard and chipping away seems good with him but I can't seem to get it to work now. 

Any defect tips?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you’re having bad card draw look at Hologram. It can be an overlooked card as it only has three block but you can put cards back in your hand after playing them. Great for zero cost cards and for getting that extra block.

I’d also say that if you haven’t unlocked everything some Defect specific relics really make him more powerful.

Beyond that I always try to get as many lightning and frost orbs on the go as possible. Grab capacitor, the card to increase your orb strength (can’t recall what it’s called) and channel as much frost and lightning as possible.
  • Defect also has some of the beet powers in the game - things like electrodynamics are insanely strong. Ball Lightning is also a very strong utility card, good damage and a free lightning orb is exceptional value.
  • Defect has a fair bit going on.

When you do win, I bet you any money you'll absolutely smash it. Seems to be the way with defect. When you get a deck humming with him, you'll have damage flying everywhere.

Lighting is probably the way to lean if you're unsure, as there's lots of ways to generate it and lots of great cards to use it.

Some general themes you can lean towards that are solid:

Expensive cards, try and nab snecko when it comes at end of act one.

Or, zero cost, especially if you can get multiple claws and all for one (plus a couple of the other cards that let you control cards you're getting. See above from boris, or rebound.)

Worth also remembering that orbs are a 2 step process. So you generate them, then they go off at the end of your turn (passive ability). to be doing big damage and to have them really working fro you, you need to judge what cards are doing what, and decide if you want lots of orb slots, or if you're OK with fewer, but cycling through them quickly. (learning to use dark can be tricky,for instance, as if you're not generating orbs, or you have too many slots, you can have a dark orb there growing, but it never gets used.)

Also have to be careful with power cards. Defect has a lot and they all sound great on paper, but if you end up with too many, you're not actually doing damage or blocking per turn.

Great character.
  • Lol, temps comes through with the specific lightning cards. Those 2 are immense.
  • Thanks all. That's what I've been trying to do in general.
    Have as many orbs on the board, both frost and lightnin, as possible. Focus them if I can then turtle the big guys.
  • I don’t think I ever take Snecko. Always seems like its gonna do me in.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve had it work once for me. And really well. But only took it a few times. If you’re gonna take it I’d take high cost cards.
  • Jorbs don't lie. The % work in your favour if you go foe the right cards.
  • Snecko did for me in an earlier run. Had some expensive cards so seemed a solid gamble, but when I needed some defence near the top of the second bit it screwed me over.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Never used snecko either, always seemed like to big a risk but I suppose if you're getting high value cards it's worth the gamble.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Snecko is bae relic, love it
  • I think Snecko is meant to be mathematically one of the best if not the best relic in the game, especially at higher levels because it Averages out your card cost to something like 1.5, so if your average card cost is over 1.5 - it saves you energy, otherwise it doesn't. 

I never really enjoy running it, but I only ever played low ascension where you have enough flexibility to not worry about it.
  • I shall go for it next time it's available.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've been trying for some of the achievements for a laugh. Did the 999 block one earlier, highly amusing run.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Finally did the beat the game with a 5 card deck achievement, and defeated the Transient same run. Very satisfying. pG3V7DQ.jpg

Nice.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I DID IT WITH DEFECT!!
    Took snecko, as per advice, then bought and acquired expensive big cards. I got lucky time to time with the random energy costs, but snecko combined with All for One was the game changer. 
    The final boss was the donut fella and his pal and I didn't take a single point of damage.
  • Smug face.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I DID IT WITH DEFECT!! Took snecko, as per advice, then bought and acquired expensive big cards. I got lucky time to time with the random energy costs, but snecko combined with All for One was the game changer.  The final boss was the donut fella and his pal and I didn't take a single point of damage.

Say goodbye to everything you hold dear. There's only this now.
  • I can't get the no rare or uncommon achievement and I nearly always get killed on the final boss. I thought it might be best with IC and then I tried Silent, and it's a little better, but still no cigar.
  • This last one was close and it didn't help that D&D were the final boss.

w4DfEsY.jpg
  • I just fucked a watcher run on first boss where I already had deva form and Icecream.

What a Muppet. Went agro at wrong time.

Ffs.
  • I always find when I get those energy increasing powers I never get X cards.

Except for the shitty blocking one maybe.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Easily done with Watcher tbf Face. I can’t seem to get past Watcher Asc4 on iOS. I keep fucking it every run. And I can’t explain why except being crap. I’m on Asc10 on PC.
  • YAS!!

Mt3WcJ1.jpg

b5YOULj.jpg

One thing about that acheivement is it makes you really get to know the basic cards and the relics you're given. Awakened one could've respawned a thousand times abd I'd still have won because my dexterity from kuai was getting silly with all the shivs.
  • Does anyone have an opinion on what char might be best for the no relic achievement?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Sorry what’s the achievement? Just basic cards?
  • Does anyone have an opinion on what char might be best for the no relic achievement?

Watcher
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!