Killer apps(games) / System sellers
‹ Previous1234
  • For consoles/computers that you have owned pick just one game that you genuinely think would be well worth the cost of the system to play, not factoring in other games that you could get. Perhaps considering the price at the time as well as what you would need to pay now. And if a system doesn't really have anything that would be worth it say that also. I think it's reasonable to factor in the availability of a game on other more modern systems too, which might make getting something old not that worth it.

Basically imagine you were talking to a friend and it's like you're saying "You should absolutely go and get a ___, just so you can play ___".

PC - Total War: Warhammer II
    For me I really think this is worth the expense of building a high-end PC just to play. It's just so endlessly cool, all of the little faction unit models and details, unique abilities and playstyles, and combinations of them you can muck about with in custom battles. It really is the sort of thing you might dream of as a kid, and it's just so well realised as a whole with pretty smooth interface design and mostly easy to understand mechanics. Seeing a Stegodon charge down and through a massive cluster of troops, sending dozens of fiendish ratmen flying through the air never gets old. Some of the effects are so satisfying too, like the Sisters of Averlorn's magical arrows, the lighting and little sound effect as they chew through the enemy is fantastic.

It's something you can just get lost in. Along with Civilization 5 this is one of those games that I sincerly wish I could go into some kind of suspended animation and play in my mind for weeks at a time while only an hour passes in the real work. Would be practical too considering I've racked up 236 hours of playtime so far, and it's ever rising. So I consider this a killer app, even considering the not insubtantial cost of a system that's required to run this to it's full potential.

PS3 - Demon's Souls
    Still yet to see a release on another platform, and there's no need for me to explain the allure of this one here. Plenty of depth and things to try on new playthroughs.

Xbox 360 - Hmm not sure of this one, nothing really jumps out at me from memory as being really worthwhile.

Xbox - Halo: Combat Evolved (obvs)

Nintendo DS - Again, nothing stands out as being really essential.

Wii/Gamecube - Metroid Prime
    Never played much on the Wii apart from replaying Prime, so I've lumped the two consoles together. Not much to say other than it's basically the best game I have ever played, so many great memories of the details of the world, the sounds. And as I found out from my replay on the Wii it absolutely still holds up as something really enjoyable to play and explore. Still waiting on some kind of successor, spiritual or otherwise.

A runner up here would be Zelda: Wind Waker for me, but I haven't played that again recently so perhaps not.

GBA - Advance Wars

PS1 - Hmm, FFVII I guess..?

Gameboy - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I know you’re taunting by leaving it out but obviously Mario 64 on the N64.
  • Xbox 360: Dead Rising
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was never a fan of the Dead Rising games, but for me 360 was all about Live Arcade.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I know you’re taunting by leaving it out but obviously Mario 64 on the N64.

Never had an N64, so couldn't comment. I did have the DS Mario 64 game though, which can't be the same in terms of the feel of the controls.

Which reminds me to add a NDS listing to the OP.
  • DR1 AMAZING OMG 10/10, the sequels never got close. At the time of release though holy shit was that an example of what the console could do compared to the previous gen.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fair enough Rouj. Never played enough to get into it, but all the indie stuff on 360 at the time was a revelation. 

For PC I’d personally have to throw X-wing into the mix. It just couldn’t have been done on anything else, yes I am old. But ultimately I think Civ really has to be THE game for PC owners.
  • Which Civ would you pick boris?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    According to metacritic, the 360 killer app was Halo 3

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/xbox360/filtered

Although I’d probably argue that it was Xbox Live as a whole, not just the arcade, but the whole online infrastructure and experience.
  • I can give examples of consoles I bought with one specific game in mind.  Obviously in each case I knew there would be more games, but I was still comfortable pulling the trigger on the strength of:

PS1: Final Fantasy VII
    Gamecube: Super Monkey Ball
    Xbox: Halo CE
    Xbox One: Ori in the Blind Forest
  • Dreamcast was probably Soul Calibur
    Megadrive was obviously Eternal Champions
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nintendo console = mario (except when it's Wii Sports or Zelda).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • X360: Halo 3. No brainer.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Which Civ would you pick boris?

I'd have to say 4, playing on my old 17" MacBook Pro. I played 5 a bit, but it used to struggle on my Mac, the fans used to kick in and kill my machine. I really should sit down and have another go, especially as I've never actually finished a game!! I always plan to, I start with good intentions, play for a while, take a break, then forget where I am and restart.
  • Well, I bought a Dreamcast to play Soul Calibur.

I bought a 360 to play Forza. (Forza 2, I think.)

I bought a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, but also to play WipeOut HD.

I bought an Xbox One X specifically to get the best out of FH4 when it arrives.
  • NES - Super Mario Bros. 3

Mega Drive - Streets of Rage II
    SNES - Super Mario World

Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2
    PS1 - Gran Turismo
    N64 - Mario 64

Dreamcast - SoulCalibur
    PS2 - GTA Vice City
    Xbox - Halo
    Gamecube - F-Zero GX

PS3 - Demon's Souls
    360 - Trials Evolution
    Wii - Mario Galaxy

PC - Transport Tycoon

Gameboy - Tetris
    GBA - Fire Emblem
  • BBC model b - elite
    The Forum Herald™
  • Gameboy - Tetris

This is about the only one I can think of. IMO, not a single other game on it's own justifies the cost of a console. Mario and Zelda together in every generation; just about, but that's two games.
  • Chopper's list is a wondrous thing.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Chopper's list is a wondrous thing.

If I could own all of those consoles set up in one room with each having their own TV/Monitor, and never own any other games, still would never get bored.
  • Isn't taste a funny thing? I think there's more in that list that I dislike than I like. Certainly more I'd class "meh" or below.
  • The only ones I'm not keen on (or haven't played) from the list are GTA, Demon's Souls and Transport Tycoon.  Tetris is a bit meh for me too as I don't enjoy block puzzlers (which a handful of exceptions), but it's clearly a killer app.
  • For me the Saturn was a Sega rally console god that was almost arcade perfect in my memory ... ah when two cars and three tracks* was considered enough
    The Forum Herald™
  • The problem with picking a killer app for PC is that unlike the other consoles it has no shelf life. You could pick DOOM, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, WoW, Civ5, Dota3 or a Total War game and they’d all be valid.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The problem with picking a killer app for PC is that unlike the other consoles it has no shelf life. You could pick DOOM, Starcraft, Unreal Tournament, WoW, Civ5, Dota3 or a Total War game and they’d all be valid.
    You’d be wrong. It’s half life
    The Forum Herald™
  • Half Life was ported to the PS2, which is where I played it. So much for a killer app.
  • lol it was awful on ps2 though as was deus ex
    The Forum Herald™
  • Also doom has been ported to smart watches and everything in between so so
    Much for
    Your own point
    The Forum Herald™
  • The modding and .wad support for DOOM still thrives to this day, with an entire scene dedicated to bending and breaking the game in new and wonderful ways. No port of DOOM has come anywhere near to replicating that, so there’s still an easy case to make for DOOM being something that you can’t fully experience beyond getting it on a PC. Half-Life has a few expansions but beyond that was surpassed by things after it. DOOM remains utterly unique to this day.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    DOOM running on a PC in Virgin Megastore in Brum was a wondrous thing. The gentle bobbing of the walk was amazing to me at the time. I got a 486 DX2-66 shortly after.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!