Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    CHEERS BUDDY!
  • The Daddy wrote:
    One thing thing they don't tell you Muzz, is how fucking far a marathon is. Yeah, they tell you it's 26.2 miles or woteva, but they don't tell you how fucking far that is. It's really fucking far. I'm knackered just thinking about it.

Muzzy watch this vid, 8 mins long. You may have heard of david goggins or maybe not. His story (not told in this video is pretty inspirational). This one is about the 100 mile marathon he ran with 4 days notice and no long distance training.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The title suggests he may be more of a Navy Seal than I am... but I'll give it a look later.

I'm not actually panicking FTR. I'll train sensibly. Just slightly daunted by the time/effort it will take, and not wanting to do it if it's then cancelled!
  • It's crazy how your perception of distance/effort changes when you're marathon training. "I'm just popping out for a steady 15 miler..." etc. It soon changes back after the event though. I quite enjoyed the training for my last one, used audiobooks to keep my attention, and the weather was good for most of it. I often plotted a route that went past a shop near the end and grabbed a cheeky ice cream on the way home.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    The title suggests he may be more of a Navy Seal than I am... but I'll give it a look later.

I'm not actually panicking FTR. I'll train sensibly. Just slightly daunted by the time/effort it will take, and not wanting to do it if it's then cancelled!

I only posted it cause of the marathon stuff hes done. His life story is a testament to the power of the mind.

He was a fat overweight exterminator living at home in his mid 20s and was fed up with his life.

One night he saw a doc about Navy Seals and had an epiphany. He wanted to be a Navy Seal. He turned up at the recruiting centre. Got told he was was overweight and needed to be x weight to get into basic training. He left the recruiting centre. Bought a pair of trainers and started running.

Long story short and im not doing it justice here he went through Navy Seals hell week three times. Passed on his third go. Served his time as a Seal. When the Navy Seal team got killed in Afghanistan (lone survivor movie) he decided he wanted to do something to help the kids of his dead colleagues by raising money. He googled the 5 hardest marathons in the world (having never run one), and decided he wanted to do the baddest of the lot. The 135 mile death valley ultra marathon.

Organisor of the Death Valley race, said there is a qualifying race on saturday (this was wednesday). If he could run 100miles under 24hrs he was in. Remeber hes never run a marathon distance before never mind a ultra marathon.

He turns up on Saturday with a box of ritz crackers and no water. The course was a 1 mile loop that you had to do 100 loops on. By halfway he had shin splits and metatarsal fracture. By 60 miles he was pissing blood. By 70miles he collapsed into a chair. Dizzy, faint, pale and thinking he was dying. So tired he couldnt get up to go to the bathroom so he pissed in the clothes he was wearing (pissing blood).

He gets up and somehow carries on. His times for 1 mile drop to about 30mins per mile! His spotter says he wont make the cut off hes too slow. Somehow with fractures, shin splints, pissing blood, he runs the last 20 miles and finishes the 100miles in 18hours.

Qualified for death valley ultra marathon. Went on to run and complete every ultra marathon known to man. When it comes to mental toughness and mind over body hes the poster child and now the recruitment poster child for the Navy Seals.

I havent done his story justice, its worth a watch on youtube. The link i posted is a short version of his story about qualifiying for the death valley ultra marathon.
  • Thats amazing but... pissing blood.. i dont think we should celebrate pissing blood and carrying on too much, that's dangerous. Beneficial in our ancestral past and soon to be apocolyptic future but at the moment, na, just stop mate.
  • Yeah. Sounds more psychotic than admirable to push yourself through that much pain.
    Getting fit first and doing it properly takes more determination in a way.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • He had an std, dick got caught in this birds jimjams.
  • So if the pissing blood wasnt because he's stupidly exhausted just another thing he had to deal with then yeah, that is more admirable.
    (Although part of me isn't sure if you're joking or not!)
  • Dont forget he is a ex Navy Seal super hard bastard in the first place and he wanted to do the fundraising to ensure the kids of his dead seal team buddies could go to college etc with full tuition paid. Just google "david goggins" hes pretty famous and hard core, stripped down no bullshit approach to life in general.

Inspirational guy.
  • Agreed, but clearly right at one end of some bell curve.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Agreed, but clearly right at one end of some bell curve.

Oh for sure. Definitely on the extreme end. But still fascinating example of the strength of the mind went it has a singular focus.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yup. Sounds like an absolute bell end.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This is what his fiancee has to say about him.

10 miles running every day. Gym work and two hours stretching without fail. Sounds as commited to his exercise as @griff.

Edit: i left the pic of his feet out. Nasty.

Screenshot-20210210-160003-Chrome.jpg
  • He sounds mentally ill.
  • g.man wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Yup. Sounds like an absolute bell end.

I sets 'em up
  • LivDiv wrote:
    He sounds mentally ill.

Hes a great motivational speaker. Interesting to listen to. His drive, determination and mental strength are inspiring. Far from average, ordinary life led. A great example of what you can achieve pushing yourself beyond what you think your limits are.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not sure he's the example I want to follow for my debut marathon tho :P
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm not sure he's the example I want to follow for my debut marathon tho :P

Lol, for sure. Definitely not. Taping up stress fractures to continue running is extreme. Go to hospital for stress fractures and stop running.
  • He is dangerously obsessive to the point of doing himself physical damage. He is mentally ill.
  • Discovered 6 count burpees. Nice change.
  • Discovered the six bag of crisps burps.  Makes a nice change from the 5 bags I’ve been doing.
  • I did some of these, absolutely brutual:

https://youtu.be/Prl5NeXTDkk

Highest i've ever measured my heart rate
  • Djornson wrote:
    I did some of these, absolutely brutual:

https://youtu.be/Prl5NeXTDkk

Highest i've ever measured my heart rate

Nice workout.

Just did a resistance band workout and im drenched. Jees that was bloody tough.
  • This is a good finisher at the end of your workout. Abs circuit. I can just about complete the circuit once. Sod trying it two or three times.

The instructor Arica Sky is rather toned so dont play infront of missus if it will get you in the dog house.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    No exercise for a month + 10k jog = bad combo
  • Good effort though. Struggling to get 5k in at the mo.
  • Managed 7 miles yesterday, longest in ages. Really struggling with what I assume is some sort of long covid thing, fucking up my sinuses (and every day feels like a bad hangover), and some annoying foot pain where two of my toes go numb then the ball of my foot hurts for 2-3 days. BUT (touching wood etc.) I don't seem to have any foot pain from yesterday's run (the sinus thing is still present though), and I've succesfully completed dry February!

I've ordered an expensive gadget to reward myself:

https://www.stryd.com/en/

Now to optimistically sign up to some Autumn races.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm glad somebody else noticed how phallic the middle section was...

https://www.strava.com/activities/4857828962?utm_source=com.microsoft.emmx&utm_medium=referral

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!