Enter the Metro
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Translated by Natasha Randall. Bad Natasha; naughty. 

Seems like an odd choice if he can do the English.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Oh thats interesting. The book does have a killer concept, but the execution wasn't great. It did just seem to be a series of ideas that didn't quite link together very well.

However I'm still slightly interested in the sequel he has written, although the new game isn't based on the book sequel.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    metagonzo wrote:
    Translated by Natasha Randall. Bad Natasha; naughty.  Seems like an odd choice if he can do the English.

Ooops, yeah, you're right. Looking on page 2 of my copy could have told me that.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Oh thats interesting. The book does have a killer concept, but the execution wasn't great. It did just seem to be a series of ideas that didn't quite link together very well.

Very much agreed. It's almost like half a dozen novellas with a common protagonist. That said I'm still not done so I'm hardly qualified to comment.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Paid 2 quid for it a while ago.First 10 minutes are fine. Might play it again some time.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The library section really stood out in the book, was it the same in the game?

Aye, it's proper tense in the game, as well. The librarians are grim as all fuck, and the plot is reaching a crescendo at that point, too.

If anyone's already done this game and fancies another play through, I can highly recommend the Ranger Pack DLC. The reduced ammo doesn't matter too much, as bullets do more damage. Adds even more to the tension, makes every fight a real nail biter. Bear in mind the reduced "ammo" also effects the gas mask filters; I had to abandon my play through as I got to a section where you had to go to the surface but didn't have enough filters to make it to the destination.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I'm going to borrow the game from a mate. I haven't shot anything in months!
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Really, go play Stalker instead.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Really, go play Stalker instead.

If you want to play something fun, though, I'd recommend Metro.

BAZINGA.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Once upon a time I played stalker. Think I was about 25 minutes into it and found myself checkpointed at the bottom of a caved in road with no chance whatsoever of killing all of the weird things attacking me. Tried 20 times. That was that.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, I managed to get myself into dead end in one of the towns, where somehow all of the factions there wanted to kill me. And I had no ammo. It was around there somewhere I decided I'd had enough. I might reinstall it with this fancy Stalker 2012 complete mod pack I see floating around the netz, though. Clean start and all that.
  • Good OP Swirl.

I kind of enjoyed the clumsiness you felt in the first game, I play a chapter every couple of months and enjoy the filthiness and survival aspects. It is very clunky, but it has something.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    Good OP Swirl.

A-thank-you.
  • @three1ne - while Stalker did have a few checkpoint saves, it was a primarily a quicksave shooter; if I ever got into a unwinnable situation (which was rare), I'd just hit F9 and reloaded to an earlier save.  Were you running any mods?  Mutants in Stalker never reached titanic proportions unless you ran spawn mods usually.

There was a lot Stalker could of learnt from Metro; brill gas mask effects, fab npc detail, some nice homebrew weaponry, but it just lacked the soul of GSC's classic.  God, I'll miss that franchise.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It'l propbably get some half arsed fan mod sequel further down the line which causes the whole lot of them to get hired by Valve who make it their own and earn millions from it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Making Every Breath Count, IGN article about Last Light.

Wii U version of Last Light unlikely to launch at same time as other versions, say the Examiner.

Makes sense, really, as the Wii U wasn't announced until relatively recently. I think I'll wait for the Wii U version, assuming I buy one, it'll be prettier than the other console versions (in all likelihood) and I'm intrigued to see what they do with the pad. Could be awesome for item management, and it'd work a treat as a way of checking your notebook in game.

Checking the Wikipedia article for Last Light, it does seem that for a while the Wii U version was cancelled, despite being shown on the system's E3 announcement trailer. I wonder if the cancellation was just a rumour, or if THQ decided to cancel the Wii U version, only to change their minds later.

Second article also calls Last Light a prequel, which is a bit odd. You play Artyom in 2033 and Last Light, and you're meant to be a bit of a noob in 2033, having never really left your station or gone to the surface. Hmm. I guess things'll become clearer with time.

Added to OP.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    @three1ne - while Stalker did have a few checkpoint saves, it was a primarily a quicksave shooter; if I ever got into a unwinnable situation (which was rare), I'd just hit F9 and reloaded to an earlier save.  Were you running any mods?

No, just the normal retail edition. I stupidly didnt have any other saves I could use. Not sure if i deleted them all or was simply being an idiot in some other capacity. Either way I truly screwed myself over and suspect I missed out on a decent game.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I just finished this and am glad I played it. Thouroughly grimy and a nice story.
    I'm getting the book now.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I must pick it up someday. Always rather fancied the look of it.

As I said, I loved it. It's very similar in tone/gameplay/pacing to Half Life.

Sold! I never really had the first one on my radar for some reason. Looks exactly like the kind of game I love.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    New gameplay video from the PC version of Last Light, in which Artyom explores a crashed plane.

Nice to see the lighter being used as something other than illumination.

Added to OP.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Interview with Huy Beynon* about Metro: Last Light and how it blends action and survival horror, linear and emergent gameplay.

*Apparently he's head of Studio Communications. Whatever that means.

Added to OP.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    'Making of' for the live action Last Light trailer.

OPed to the add.
  • @BlueSwirl - it's still coming across as a linear, claustrophobic (not in a good sense), railroaded shooter, that'll rely heavily on set-pieces.  Admittedly, this is an unshakeable feature set born of its setting - a friggin' subway system, but it doesn't grab me like it should.

You think if HL3 ever comes out, Gabe will give birth to another corridor-shooter?  I'm betting not.  That genre is dead.  Somebody wake up Huy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yes, it's linear, but there's plenty of side areas to explore. Yes, there are set pieces, but there's enough variety in the weapons and equipment that everyone will tackle the game differently. Yes, parts of the game are set in the subway system, but there are also long sections on the surface. (Based on what happened in 2033.)

So, I'm not getting why you're so down on this.

I'm also not getting how you're judging the game when we've just watched a making of for the live action trailer.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Also, the corridor shooter is dead? Quick, someone tell Activision, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Bungie, Valve, iD...

Fuck it, someone call every FPS made in the last ten years or so. Apparently their campaigns are from a dead genre. Who knew?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm not too sure if the corridor shooter can die, to be honest. I think the last proper non-corridor shooter we got was Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. Which was actually alright if not a shade on the original.

Then Red River came out and well, yeah.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    @BlueSwirl - it's still coming across as a linear, claustrophobic (not in a good sense), railroaded shooter, that'll rely heavily on set-pieces. 

Is that information you've got from somewhere, 'cause the first had lots of stealth sections I'm assuming they're including again.
  • It's info I got from playing the game.  Sure there were stealthy bits, but I felt they tended to play out the same, during repeated attempts, due to level design being a bit restrictive.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I liked the stealth bits. Ho hum.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    According to the official Youtube channel, Metro 2033 is now on sale on Xbox 360 marketplace.
    Be sure to download Metro 2033 this week on Xbox LIVE during the 50% off sale! The full game can be found in the Marketplace for $9.99 / £5.49 / €7.49, so get it today!

A better bargain you will struggle to find. /yoda

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!