The Outer Worlds - a proper Obsidian RPG.
  • It looks gloriously janky and Obsidian to me. I will buy it and love it, and be the only fucker not shutting up about it years from now. Never 4get Alpha Protocol. That wonderful mess.

Fuck buying it when i can Gamepass it :-)

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    It looks gloriously janky and Obsidian to me. I will buy it and love it, and be the only fucker not shutting up about it years from now. Never 4get Alpha Protocol. That wonderful mess.
    Fuck buying it when i can Gamepass it :-)

I'll allow this.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm seriously excited about this. Fallout New Space Bioshock Protocol hits a lot of my zones.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm seriously excited about this. Fallout New Space Bioshock Protocol hits a lot of my zones.

My man - not even worried that it all seems like a lot of mini-hubs and not a Fallout style open world. Give me those Kotor 2 areas, yas!

Tempted to go full psychopath for this one and be the most cutthroat bastard in the galaxy, for once. I know Obsidian will let that happen and love them for it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’ve just picked up my second play through save of Fallout 4 again, and I’m enjoying it immensely. So I’m probably good for my first person open world RPGs for the moment. Will almost certainly pick this up at some point, but it’ll have to review spectacularly well for me to jump in at launch.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, there was a bit in the trailer where you could do a mission to bring a rare thing back to a guy, get your reward, shoot him and get the thing too. That's my jammmmm
  • Could the thread title make it clear we’re talking about the obsidian space fall out or something? I keep getting confused between this and outer wilds
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Considering how remarkably uninteresting every character, story idea and dialogue line was in Pillars of Eternity 2 I'm keeping my distance til someone manages to convince me this one is any better.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • regmcfly wrote:

My man - not even worried that it all seems like a lot of mini-hubs and not a Fallout style open world. Give me those Kotor 2 areas, yas!

Tempted to go full psychopath for this one and be the most cutthroat bastard in the galaxy, for once. I know Obsidian will let that happen and love them for it.

Hyped too. Right up my street.

Although I can't help but be that super moral hero... Can't bring myself to be a bastard.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nah, obsidian rewards absolute pricks. Do it.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    My man - not even worried that it all seems like a lot of mini-hubs and not a Fallout style open world. Give me those Kotor 2 areas, yas! Tempted to go full psychopath for this one and be the most cutthroat bastard in the galaxy, for once. I know Obsidian will let that happen and love them for it.
    Hyped too. Right up my street. Although I can't help but be that super moral hero... Can't bring myself to be a bastard.

Go full good guy / gal in most games - was always Paragon Shep, for example. But Obsidian, like H says, really make the dick route fun and rewarding. Full dark in Kotor 2 was god-tier.
  • Silke wrote:
    Considering how remarkably uninteresting every character, story idea and dialogue line was in Pillars of Eternity 2 I'm keeping my distance til someone manages to convince me this one is any better.

Pillars of Eternity 1&2 are absolutely examples of very dry crpg fantasy, for sure. I really like them - but they deffo play it much straighter in those titles than, say, Kotor 2, Fallout: NV and Alpha Protocol.

Still, they scratch an itch at a time when only one other studio - Larian - are seemingly making competent CRPGs.
  • Really confused how they have handled companion AI with this. No Mass Effect style direction, just a choice of setting a defensive or aggressive stance plus determine distance kept from main actor? I find the lack of squad commands disturbing.

For all the supposed plaudits Obsidian gets for it's writing, the one thing they never get right is the companions. KoTOR gave us HK47. Fallout 3 gave us Fawkes. The Obsidian sequels gave us who exactly?

The companions on show here look as dull as ditchwater as well. And I'm sure I'll never tire of those crit hits as the camera is wrestled away from me, again.

Where too are the skill check dialogue options? Oh wait, there are none. Just the option to lie or persuade. Gone too are the low intelligence score dialogue lines too.

I love a good bloated western RPG as much as the next man, but my 'shit game alert!' senses are working over time on this one.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I really liked the companions in PoE and Kotor 2. But i agree on the dialogue checks being simplified and the companion AI being basic - this is very much a diet-AA game. We'll see. If there were a load of these types of games being made, I might be slightly more critical. But i'll take this for now and hope for the best.
  • I mean, Kreia in Kotor 2 has claim to being one of the best companions in any RPG every made.
  • Sadly I think we are gonna have to take what we can get in this genre now.
    Bioware exist in name only and the less said about Bethesda the better.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sadly I think we are gonna have to take what we can get in this genre now. Bioware exist in name only and the less said about Bethesda the better.

When I wrote a review of Arkane's Prey a while back, I noted that in a world where Thief and Deus Ex were massive hits that spawned dozens of imitators, Prey would be good but nothing special. However, in reality, great immersive sims are few and far between and Prey, by extension, was the best in years. That's, like you, how I see this game.
  • I think the immersiveness of this game is going to be shattered by all those low res textures, uninspiring environments, and woeful sound design. I crave another proper rpg, but that video really has killed off the little amount of optimism I had for this title.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I haven’t watched any of the latest vids, but I find myself cuddling up to Blocks on this one.
    Get schwifty.
  • I wouldnt argue but like I say, this is kinda it now.

All the nice stuff comes with microtransactions and "games as a service" also known as paying 60 quid for a third of a game.

Its proper crap.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sadly I think we are gonna have to take what we can get in this genre now. Bioware exist in name only and the less said about Bethesda the better.

When I wrote a review of Arkane's Prey a while back, I noted that in a world where Thief and Deus Ex were massive hits that spawned dozens of imitators, Prey would be good but nothing special. However, in reality, great immersive sims are few and far between and Prey, by extension, was the best in years. That's, like you, how I see this game.

I adored Prey. Really enjoyed it a lot, and found the take on that style of game different and interesting. There's a lot going on in there.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Cheers for the title change!
  • MattyJ wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I adored Prey. Really enjoyed it a lot, and found the take on that style of game different and interesting. There's a lot going on in there.

Yeah, I didn't mean what I wrote as a slight on Prey - I was, and am, one of that game's biggest supporters here. What I mean is, so many of the things it did e.g. lack of handholding, interesting area traversal options etc. stand out because of how gaming, as a whole, has changed over the past 10 years or so. There's not many 3D games running with Bioshock / Metroid / Deus Ex / Thief worlds and mechanics. So, Prey stood out to me even more than it would have purely on its own merits.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Really confused how they have handled companion AI with this. No Mass Effect style direction, just a choice of setting a defensive or aggressive stance plus determine distance kept from main actor? I find the lack of squad commands disturbing.

Seen more stuff about this now - squad control breaks into 2 parts:

1. Menu / AI stuff - can select level of aggression / engagement etc. for general behaviour (which is what it seems you were referencing)
    2. Real-time control - there's 4 buttons in real-time play for the 2 AI companions - you can select which targets they attack, where they move to, and there's 1 button each for the 2 AI companions' "super" abilities. 

So, it's not as controllable as Mass Effect 1, but it is controllable to a degree, ala Freedom Fighters.

Other news...weird audio work, overly loud karma notifications, broken ass perks and builds. It's gonna be a wild ride Day One. Still in, 100%.
  • God bless Obsidian.

The amount of un-killable NPCs in Fallout 4 and Skyrim drove me crazy. I don't often run as a bastard in RPGs, but I hate it when I do decide to turn on the carnage and the game just says nope. 

Obsidian and Larian get it.
  • I hate to be a downer on this, but the perk tree looks v. boring. Just buffs and stuff. I don't see any quirkiness on offer.

Thanks for the clarification on the buddy AI though. That makes me feel a bit more confident about this not turning out to be a total clusterfuck
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    I hate to be a downer on this, but the perk tree looks v. boring. Just buffs and stuff. I don't see any quirkiness on offer.

Agreed. That's looked a bit banal. 
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Thanks for the clarification on the buddy AI though.

No worries.
  • And, I think it's ok to be down on it - no need to apologise. I was down on Mass Effect Andromeda as soon as the first trailer dropped. None of your criticisms seem unfair.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tbh perk trees in this are a proper third tier next to freedom of choice and a daft ending

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!