The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • poprock wrote:
    I predict a reveal of the new Forza Motorsport with multiplayer racing teams. Share team liveries across your cars. Share a car for endurance races. Etc. In fact, put livery on your team truck/trailer too. Esports league, real in-game sponsorship deals, etc. They’re going after the sim racers.

I can actually see this becoming a thing. GT will follow suit.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s wrote:
    MS best tack is to come on have Phil whatshisname just open with “We know you want games and we’ve listened. Here’s all the games...” Then shut up for the rest of the pres.

Yes 
    LivDiv wrote:
    Won't happen. I'm expecting a 20 minute section on the history of Halo.

More likely

I dont know if its the publishers or if its the developers but for some reason they seem to think that rambling bullshit about the development of the games is what people want along with lots of talking heads, orchestras, story boards, monitors (so many monitors) with people touching up the grey model of master chief or what note.

Imagine if movies took this approach. When Disney wants to get you to the cinema, they show you a banging trailer. Leave the making of stuff for those who want it (I'm not saying it has no value, it just is very much out of place as part of a showcase)

And dear god, the footage better be mostly in game. We've had lovely rendered cut scenes for years now. It's not impressive and usually does not sell the game at all.
    SFV - reddave360
  • First time back in I'm not sure how long.  Hope you and all your loved ones are doing OK in this fucked up world but given this is a fucked up world that's almost certainly not the case. I would apologise for being insensitive to those of you who have experienced real grief and loss but as I've read nothing here for however long it is I have no idea which of you have been affected in such a way, and it might be that I didn't like you much so probably best to get to the point. 

The point exists here:  I've just watched the first 45 minutes or so of the XBox reveal thingy and it's not exactly setting my (highly restricted) world on fire. 

I'm too bored to watch the rest.  I'm also probably posting in the wrong thread but I really don't care very much.*

*at all
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Its yer man
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hey Unlikely
  • Great to have you back unlikely, youv been sorely missed
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Heyyyyyyyyyyy Unlikely
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Good to see you mate. Hope you and yours have been keeping well.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hope you and the hamily are well too mate
  • I have not watched anything yet. Not expecting too much either.
    Welcome back Unlikely!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
  • New console gen brings all the boys to the yard.

Welcome back chap.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    UVTOptd.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Been a busy day, but just managed to watch the Xbox show. Decent effort I’d say overall.

I can’t say that any particular title grabbed me in a, oh my god I have to play that way, and I was a little unclear about how exclusive those games were? There was also a few games shown where the actual game wasn’t obvious - Everwild and The Gunk spring to mind.

Nevertheless, their comms and strategy were clear - here’s a bunch of games you can play on our subscription service and Series X will be the best way to do that. I can see that being a draw for many people in the Xbox ecosystem and some on the fence, so fair play.

Whether or not that strategy converts people from PlayStation to Xbox is something that remains to be seen. It hasn’t changed my mind at this stage, but then knowing more about the pricing may do that down the line.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I cant see many PS only owners being swayed as there was a shortage of 3rd person action adventure games.

Maybe if they'd shown more of Fable?
  • The game that XBox has is that it has gamepass. It might be an important part of budgeting.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I cant see many PS only owners being swayed as there was a shortage of 3rd person action adventure games.

Hehehe.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hello Frank here. Nothing shown by Sony or Microsoft matches a Quest for fun, plus if you have a decent PC? Then you're gonna have a party. Next Gen, my arse.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
  • I think that article might be close to whats happening. The Microsoft Video was as much about whats on Gamepass as whats coing to Series X. Sure Microsoft will sell you the machine if you want, but if you dont want a high spec monster under the you can have gamepass on windows, on your bone s and now with xcloud coming, whats the odds that gamepass streaming isn't too far from mid to high end tvs? No need for any console, just have the account and stream.

On a side note, I'd really expect the next range of Surfaces to feature at least one model which is optimised for gamepass. Probably not a true gaming beast but the surface 4 was about 360 level graphics. I'm sure there is a bone level gaming machine possible in a surface format at this point.

Going a little further, I wonder will the series X start to be a new outlet for MS office. As some have said, its looking like it will be a great price for a pretty good spec'd gaming pc. Maybe MS will allow light PC work through office apps and a bluetooth keyboard. Not aimed at the office person but aimed at someone who needs a pc from time to time. Put in a proper good browser, a decent OS (I know, I'm reaching there) and why not. It would probably cost them nothing as a test run and if there is an uptake then they have a new angle to sell the machines on. Plus it might provide the userbase to actual get other companies making more and better windows apps.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah it seems like a sensible strategy on each side. If you've already bought what Microsoft are trying to sell (the gamepass), then the draw of the new device is less compelling than on the PS side... but both companies are happy enough with that being the case.
  • It’s certainly an interesting strategy from Xbox.

I think the thing I struggle with is the economics of it all, but I’m guessing they are making it work somehow (or at least have a target number of subscribers to hit that will make it work in the future).

If you have 10m subscribers paying a penny short of £11 a month, you have £110m of revenue a month. That’s a decent number, but you also have to either pay for the third-party games to be on the platform, or pay for the development of your own titles to be on there.

Most major titles would aim for between 1-2m in sales, which at £50 a pop, would be roughly equal to £50-100m in revenue - or around 1 month of Gamepass subscriptions at the top end of boxed sales. But what slice of the £11 a month per user are those studios now getting?

How much would a game like Halo Infinite cost to develop? Halo 5 was supposed to be $100m dollars - that’s 1/12 of the Gamepass revenue. Is 1/12 of the revenue from Gamepass going to 343 when the game releases? It can’t, because they’ll be more than 12 other games on the platform developed by Xbox studios (and of course those third-party titles too) that need to be supported.

None of the above implies it can’t work, more I can’t get my head around it at this stage. It’s also possibly a boring topic, but it’s the sort of thing I like to chew over.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Heading into a world recession, you've still got to buy £60 games on top of the £500 hardware, so one strategy is definitely less wallet friendly.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Did Halo ever have any kind of recurring purchases this gen?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Well the studios would still get a cut from a traditional sale.
    We will never know the difference in a sale cut and a gamepass cut/lump sum. It does however guarantee digital revenue with no retailer or cut second hand market, something the entire industry is keen to be rid off.

Gamer depending you might find people are now spending more on games per year with a GP sub. Are they spending £130 per year on new games without utilising the trade in cycle? Some will some won't.

Then there is potential for increased DLC and microtransaction sales. I'm pulling this out of my arse here but I think a lot more people would be willing to spend on those things if they haven't just dropped a hard £50 on a title.

Lastly I wonder how this will effect marketing budgets. Does something coming to GP need as heavy a marketing budget? I really don't know, perhaps looking at Netflix marketing budget vs major studios is a worthy comparison.
  • 343 is owned by Microsoft, so nothing goes back to them. That's just internal accounting.

I imagine older games on the service get a lot less, and I read a thing recently that by being on Gamepass it upped the actual sales of a title, so the fee paid to 3rd parties is probably not an equivilent of projected sales.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1m fewer sales of a £50 disc dues not equate to £50m less cash for the developer/producer. All then cuts along the way.
  • FranticPea wrote:

Maybe if they'd shown more of Fable?

Haha. Vvv good. Unfortunately I’m that man who like the third person adventures so I really was a little um at times. Hoping Everwild is that game for me!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!