Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I will say though that the cyberpunk one x is my favourite looking console. I want my consoles to looking weird as fuck.

You're tacky and I hate you
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Buy a PS5
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah, but how is it going to run on the Series S? If you're currently a BoneX owner, then it could conceivably be a downgrade from your current options.
    One S 720p30
    One X either 1080p60 or 4K30
    Series S 1440p60
    Series X 4K60
    I think? The series S is positioned as the 1440p console so I'm just taking it at face value.

Well the IGN link says "Xbox Series S... will run Xbox One S versions of Xbox One ... titles".  So uh, no, I think that's saying it will not be the XBox One X enhanced version of FH4.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Plenty of people seen to have got their money's worth out of it but it's the Xbox One X that's muddied the waters imo, rather than a split SKU at launch for the next gen. The PS4 Pro situation is even more of a swindle though as that won't play any versions of next gen software.

It came out a year earlier, was cheaper and will continue to be supported by third parties.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I will say though that the cyberpunk one x is my favourite looking console. I want my consoles to looking weird as fuck.

You're tacky and I hate you

It sounds like a robot when you turn it on.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hmm kinky, you're alright actually
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Will the Xbox One S run unenhanced versions of Series X games? Nans need to know.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The question is whether that’s only where back compatibility is concerned. I want to know what the deal is with more recent titles like FH4. Games that were ‘Xbox One X Enhanced’.

The 'Xbox One X Enhanced’ versions were essentially 4k texture packs weren't they? So the Series S versions won't be 'X1X enhanced' as the S doesn't do 4K.
  • Taking a guess but I think goober has it right. So playing a fh4 on a series s will not have the enhanced textures but it will probably be smoother and load faster.

Again, I know which one I would be prefer, and again if I had a one x, I don't see the point in upgrading to a series s.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm more and more sold on the X now. Can't wait. Going full Moran on day one
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah series s means 1440p? FH4 but at 60fps with wuick load or 1080p 60fps

We really need a test machine with digital foundry asap
    PSN - minkymu
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Taking a guess but I think goober has it right. So playing a fh4 on a series s will not have the enhanced textures but it will probably be smoother and load faster.

Again, I know which one I would be prefer, and again if I had a one x, I don't see the point in upgrading to a series s.

Yeah, a one x to a series S upgrade doesn't make much sense, but if you have a one x presumably you have a 4k TV and want the shines, so would be more inclined to go for the series X instead.
  • The series S will offer different improvements like the SSD.
    If you got a One X and remain happy with that 4k experience look at the Series X.
    If you got one then found you dont use the 4k or dont like it enough to drop the extra £200 look at a Series S.

Any FPS performance differences will vary game to game but im pretty confident a Series S at 1440p will run faster than a One X running at 4k.
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Yeah series s means 1440p? FH4 but at 60fps with wuick load or 1080p 60fps We really need a test machine with digital foundry asap
    Why do people assume that the Series S will do this, when we've categorically been told that when it comes to backwards compatibility, the Series S will run the BoneS versions of games.
    The BoneS does not run FH4 at 60fps.
    Now the reality might well turn out to be different, but until MS tells us otherwise, you just can't assume this stuff.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What a fucking stupid naming system.
  • g.man wrote:
    … we've categorically been told that when it comes to backwards compatibility …

Thing is, MS haven’t qualified what they mean by ‘backwards compatibility’.

Currently it means Xbox and Xbox 360 games. When they talk about these new consoles, does BC now include Xbox One games? Or is that stuff still classed as ‘current’ because MS aren’t doing distinct generations any more?

It’s open to misinterpretation.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I would also say piss off to these 120fps claims by both companies. We had this with the Pro and X and how many game honestly hit 4K/60. We know it just won’t happen.

I will be more than happy if devs just aimed for solid 4K/60.
  • Avoid all this confusion and just buy a PS5.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    … we've categorically been told that when it comes to backwards compatibility …

Thing is, MS haven’t qualified what they mean by ‘backwards compatibility’.

Currently it means Xbox and Xbox 360 games. When they talk about these new consoles, does BC now include Xbox One games? Or is that stuff still classed as ‘current’ because MS aren’t doing distinct generations any more?

It’s open to misinterpretation.
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Well the IGN link says "Xbox Series S... will run Xbox One S versions of Xbox One ... titles".  So uh, no, I think that's saying it will not be the XBox One X enhanced version of FH4.

• We wouldnt have this problem if the consoles were named better, like Saturn and Dreamcast etc, then it would be clear.  That IGN tweet is only confusing because of all the XBox references and you have to sit there and read it and make a chart and think which Xbox is which and oh i've gone cross-eyed
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    We wouldnt have this problem if the consoles were named better, like Saturn and Dreamcast etc, then it would be clear.  That IGN tweet is only confusing because of all the XBox references and you have to sit there and read it and make a chart and think which Xbox is which and oh i've gone cross-eyed

I suggest you try not to worry about it, (turns to camera) and that goes for you too
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • g.man wrote:
    Minkymu wrote:
    Yeah series s means 1440p? FH4 but at 60fps with wuick load or 1080p 60fps We really need a test machine with digital foundry asap
    Why do people assume that the Series S will do this, when we've categorically been told that when it comes to backwards compatibility, the Series S will run the BoneS versions of games.
    The BoneS does not run FH4 at 60fps.
    Now the reality might well turn out to be different, but until MS tells us otherwise, you just can't assume this stuff.

It will run it at 60fps I think, as Gears 5 runs at 120fps on the S

They mention about Gears 5 in the Digital Foundry reveal.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Thanks wookie, feel more calm now
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Wasn't the Gears 5 thing a properly ported tech demo rather than BC though?
  • This thread'll owe the DF patreon a fair bit by Xmas.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Thanks wookie, feel more calm now

I'm going for a sit down. Join me and unwind
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Wasn't the Gears 5 thing a properly ported tech demo rather than BC though?

Microsoft have a video about the S on youtube and they show it in 120 fps
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • https://youtu.be/teNuT6UO1II

Can't speak for every game but this video and young iggy pop confirm gears 5 on series s and x will both be 120fps
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ah, OK. They are updating the game to support the Series S though. That's not the same as plain BC where the S might allow for improvements in things like dynamic resolution but doesn't appear to be able to do anything beyond what's supported by hardcoding in the Xbox One S version of the game.
  • Correct me if wrong.
    What I can gather about FH4 is that the One X Enhanced version comes with two options.
    4k/30
    1080/60
    With those two options being tied together into the same enhanced download patch or whatever you want to call it, the main thing is that as it stands they are tied together.

The Series S typically won't have the bandwidth to handle 4k textures so just uses the One S version.

For FH4 they would need to provide a special Series S version that just offer the 1080/60 performance option as they cant allow players to select the 4k option. I assume the One S version is capped at 30 fps so the only improvement there will be consistency.

This seems like something that could and should happen given FH5 seems a way off, at the very least it remains unannounced.

Unfortunately there isn't a blanket term or fix that MS can really do in this scenario.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!