The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • Probably learned their lesson with Vita
    The Forum Herald™
  • Work chat is going crazy comparing all the stats, ain't dry for those guys!
  • I was just enjoying the strong crystal maze vibes from the wireframes.
  • Wait I have just clocked that audience isnt real.
    This is bizarre.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Wait I have just clocked that audience isnt real. This is bizarre.

But sometimes they move, and it's creepy!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I haven't seen the presentation yet but what kind of monster could find Mark Cerny boring??? I'd happily listen to him read the phone book.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm paying half-attention to this, it's pretty interesting if you like this tech though. Seems like Sony will be pushing the fact they can use off the shelf storage, eventually anyway. Will be interesting to see how MS price their storage.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I haven't seen the presentation yet but what kind of monster could find Mark Cerny boring??? I'd happily listen to him read the phone book.
    You are in luck.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Work chat is going crazy comparing all the stats, ain't dry for those guys!

Aye, some good stuff here. Great speeds, non-proprietary SSD expansion.
    EvilRedEye wrote:

Yar, podcast and audiobook-tier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looking forward to this "genuine revolution in game audio", which I don't believe for a minute.
  • I find the presentation quite fascinating.
    MS went overboard with specs. Sony seems to be about finetuning bandwidth and hw/sw components to one another.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Ah so the GPU does have less CUs than the Xbox, but running at higher clocks.

Both machines will perform very similarly, but it will be interesting to see just what the differences will be in game performance.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    You are in luck.

ZING!
  • Beyond that, I was surprised that it allows for off the shelf NVMe drives...but only if they are certified. There are no drives available today that are fast enough for PS5 so do not buy one in preparation.

John Linneman on Twitter.

Cerny said as much in the presentation. He expects compatible drives to be on the shelves a month or two after PS5 launches.
  • Hmm, according to the specs pages on Eurogamer the PS5 has a much faster SSD, or faster I/O throughput anyway. Might lead to faster loading of big files.
  • Seems that both consoles can use external HDDs, so I would hope that you would be able to offload games onto large USB drives to save space on the internal, would save a lot of time compared to having to redownload each time.
  • Axes use more power than race cars. Got it.
  • Wonder if the overclocking is more recent after MS’s presentations? Is that something that could be simply introduced after the fact? I’m quite sure measuring by TF’s isn’t the be all and end all but what realistic differences can even be seen between something locked at just over 12 and something overclocking at just over 10? Be interesting to see if devs use the 10 at overclocking speed it turns into the new Pro-Jet Engine model.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Wonder if the overclocking is more recent after MS’s presentations? .

No.
  • He's spending a lot of time talking about the CUs, which is quite fair. The press will be all like "XBERX HAS 20 MORE CEEYOUSE ERMAGERD" when it's a little more nuanced than that.
  • I would rather have more using a lower clock speed tbh.
  • 10.3 TERRAFLOPS

AIR HORNS, CONFETTI, STRIPPERS
  • 3D audio stuff is super cool, hopefully any new standard will be cross platform and run on PCs too.
  • Verecocha wrote:

No.

That just your thoughts or is it not possible?
  • I think Sony had their proprietary surround headsets for the PS4 generation? Which is bullshit because any good stereo pair should do. Unless they changed that recently?
  • Kow wrote:
    Looking forward to this "genuine revolution in game audio", which I don't believe for a minute.
    It's a game changer for sure! There's a leaked video that showcases it...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    No.
    That just your thoughts or is it not possible?

The MS stuff was pretty recent, and a lot of the stuff they talked about would have needed a LOT of testing - it's not something you can just add and YOLO. Anything added since the MS reveal couldn't be added last minute - that would be added later, if at all.
  • SSD throughput is interesting. Will be fun benchmarking the GPUs against each other with the cross platform titles - especially to see bandwidth differences with the xbox 10@560/6@336 split vs ps5 16@448, and ow easy managing that mapping is for cross-platform devs.
  • Hmm, according to the specs pages on Eurogamer the PS5 has a much faster SSD, or faster I/O throughput anyway. Might lead to faster loading of big files.

John Linneman again -
    The craziest thing about PS5 is the speed of the SSD. 5.5 GB/s is just part of the story - there is a lot of custom silicon in there to ensure that the system isn't bottlenecked in other areas. It's *REALLY* fast on paper - a lot faster than Xbox Series X even.

On paper max-throughput speeds won't necessarily translate, it's like reading one big file vs many small files which is what most games use. But still it will be really interesting when the game comparisons come around.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!