The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • In other news both MS and Sony are suggesting corona will have no impact on launch production
    PSN - minkymu
  • The robots are coming!
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Even coreteks seems to think Sony's got the edge with the ridiculous ssd i/o.
    In the end it doesn't matter. AMD wins!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
  • Sony will have the edge - they make tech they’ll have the prettier design and they’ll have the headline price point - you heard it here first

I also hear they’ve nailed down the thermodynamics
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And VR.
  • VR is a red herring. Really not hugely popular so far.
    PSVR has sold 5 million units.
    Kinect sold 35 million and it was total shit.

VR is cool and that but when it comes to laying down the money on it people are still reluctant.
  • Here is my prediction for what Sony's machine will look like.

Take the dev kit, remove the top toilet seat half and all the massive side vents.
    Then make it slightly taller than that and more sleek.

Then it has huge problems with cooling, hence the dev kits having all that shit on there in the first place.

Sony arent showing it because they are fixing the cooling problems which may mean the case changes design.

I may be wrong but there is a logic there.
  • My first law of thermodynamics says your wrong
    The Forum Herald™
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PS5 exclusives are likely to be relevant to success I'd say, particularly with all (first party) stuff playable on on bone. Only what 8 months to her those game announcements out there!!
  • Wait... The bone has games??
  • Bob wrote:
    My first law of thermodynamics says your wrong

Fair play to you Bob, this is a great post.
  • What about my wrong?
  • I hope the PS5 will look like a UFO complete with airvents and colour leds.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    VR is a red herring. Really not hugely popular so far.

VR is cool and that but when it comes to laying down the money on it people are still reluctant.

Psvr was an extra sold separately though and kinetic came with the console so those numbers are kinda skewed.
    (I'm pretty sure someone said we were closer to 9 million vr units sold now)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What about my wrong?

Yeah, there’s that too but that made the post even more beautiful.
  • digi wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    VR is a red herring. Really not hugely popular so far.

Psvr was an extra sold separately though and kinetic came with the console so those numbers are kinda skewed.
    (I'm pretty sure someone said we were closer to 9 million vr units sold now)

The first Kinect that is.
    The first one was only bundled with a few special editions.
    Cant see anything about 9 mil units. 5 mil was recorded in January, I would be pretty suprised if it nearly doubled its sales since then.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Can you play Steam VR etc via the PS4? Genuine question.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • No
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • But seriously, I do like the mini ATX like design of the SeXbox.
    If only all pc mini ATX hw was this clean and standardised.

But in the end I agree that Sony's design decision on maximising ssd i/o throughput will arguably leave a lasting impact on console/personal computer architecture design.

Who woulda thunk: the death of loading screens....(remember ridge racer's galaga?)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d forgot but now I recall how genius it was. Loved it.
  • Really good look at how the Series X is constructed, it is a great bit of design and engineering, amazing how effectively they've used the internal volume.

• Fan is 130mm, should be pretty quiet. Might get wooshy under heavy load, but I would expect the noise to be of a low frequency and thus not particularly noticeable.
  • It's a shame that the new controller doesn't have rear paddles/buttons, seems like that should be a new standard for pads. Maybe Sony will go for rear controls as default.. :/
  • It's a shame that the new controller doesn't have rear paddles/buttons, seems like that should be a new standard for pads. Maybe Sony will go for rear controls as default.. :/

Seems Sony are going that way and the back button attachment seems like it's so the old pads are forward compatible.
    (all peripherals work forward and back)

With ms going as service based (gamepass and live) with proprietary ssd maybe they will just promote the shit out of there elite pads?

• Probably, the Elite pads look cool but are far too expensive, would be really nice if there was a cheap but decent back paddle option as the standard controller. I feel like having it as standard for a platform would influence game design a bit too, as it allows for additional input during moving/looking.

So far it looks like the Xbox will be the slightly more powerful console overall, in GPU at least, so multiplats might fare the best there. But in terms of exclusives I'm favouring Sony, devs will make full use of the SSD which could open up possibilities for game worlds, and I'm generally more interested in the Sony exclusives TBH. Both new consoles should be great.
  • Thing is there built great and the other options like scuff are much more flimsy and shite in comparison and cost more.

I hate scuffs (is that weird?) and hope the elites and the back button/DualShock v put them out of business.
  • Yeah I'm thinking it would be nice if Sony or MS would do a back button controller as the new standard, because with mass production and sales they could make something solid and of good quality that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to the consumer.

I guess MS are keen on getting some tasty profit margins on the Elites and the new SSDs this time... Probably to offset the cost of the actual consoles, as they are likely to be quite expensive.
  • Does anyone think that MS aren't competing with Sony this time and are really looking to take on Steam? The Ultimate Xbox pass gives you a decent line up on both systems and keeps you in the MS eco system. The Series X looks to be more of a decent PC rig than a flashy new console. The whole 'everything will play everything' feels a bit like they want to become more of a market place than a console machine and so they are just given you the option of a really top spec machine with the series X, but you can still buy in with an X or even an (shudder) S. 

Maybe the MS model does need to over take Sony - maybe they can turn a profit without being the top console brand?
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Absolutely Ms are going for the market place.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!