ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I also very much enjoyed Manchester By Sea, little Affleck got a lot better since Chasing Amy. It prompted me to watch the Ghost movie as well which was also very very good
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • He is much better than his older brother. Did Ben ever do any decent acting?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not wanting to be a huge apologist for him, as when I think of him he's always playing himself, but I suppose as a "leading man" he just got to play the cards he's dealt
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 20. Kong: Skull Island

Below average monster movie, not sure why I bothered. Maybe cos I kinda enjoyed the last Godzilla movie and wanted to see this before Godzilla vs Kong. 

[3]
  • Manchester by the Sea is exceptional.

Recently rewatched Stardust, which I still like (solid 7) and the new Lion King, which was essentially fine and looked glorious but only gets a [6].
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    He is much better than his older brother. Did Ben ever do any decent acting?

What?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Here we go, personally I enjoyed his Batman, but still felt he was playing himself, but if anyone could out contrarian Yoss it's Dante. So please take the floor
  • He is much better than his older brother. Did Ben ever do any decent acting?
    What?
    I said:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    He is much better than his older brother. Did Ben ever do any decent acting?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I liked him in The Town and Gone Girl.
  • It's a shame DC sucked at making movies as I think him in a stand alone Batfleck could have been good.
  • I liked him in The Town and Gone Girl.

Me too, don't mind Ben. Didn't mind him in The Accountant too.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't think he's a bad actor, he's just been in some really shit films.
  • 21. You Were Never Really Here

Good to see one of my favourite actors again. Nice and short and very intense film with some brilliant shots/cuts/edits etc (whatever the terms are, y’all know what I mean).  Not much originality or anything in the story but good main character, big fan of not having the film explain everything to you. Anyway. Decent. 

[7]
  • I don't think he's a bad actor, he's just been in some really shit films.

I think I have fortunately dodged most of them.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Here we go, personally I enjoyed his Batman, but still felt he was playing himself, but if anyone could out contrarian Yoss it's Dante. So please take the floor

It's hardly contrarian to say say Ben Affleck has been good in some films. Argo, The Town, The Accountant, hell Good Will Hunting.

Just because he's done some utter shit like Gigli doesn't erase the good stuff.
  • I havent watched Reindeer Games in years, I remember enjoying it but dont remember much about it. Is that worth a rewatch?
  • Toy Story 4 - Had it’s moments.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    21. You Were Never Really Here

Good to see one of my favourite actors again. Nice and short and very intense film with some brilliant shots/cuts/edits etc (whatever the terms are, y’all know what I mean).  Not much originality or anything in the story but good main character, big fan of not having the film explain everything to you. Anyway. Decent. 

[7]

That was my favourite movie of last year. A 10 for me. He's my favourite actor right now.
    I also thought Manchester was great, my favourite of that year.

I just watched Paterson and it was another 10 for me. Reminded me of why I came to live Jarmusch in the first place. Just a beautiful little film.
  • Paterson and Killing of a Sacred Deer are both next in my list. Saw that they were on Amazon Prime so I wanna see them before they’re taken off.
  • Both are excellent but for completely opposite reasons.
  • Although I do find Lanthimos' films tend to drag for me a bit. Apart from The Favourite I've always been ready for it to be over well before it's over even if what is on screen is wonderfully presented and well acted.
  • I’m trying to catch up on good films of recent years, cos I realised I was way behind when doing the Empire mag 30 years list. 

Moonlight is top of my list but not on Netflix or Prime. If it doesn’t come on soon, just gonna rent it from iTunes or something.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'll definitely give you Argo and The Accountant, really enjoyed both those, will dig out The Town
  • The Invitation
    Slow burning ensemble thriller that just pays off in the final third. 7

BlacKkKlansman
    Spike Lee blends comedy and drama in this interesting, thought provoking film. 8.5
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I'll definitely give you Argo and The Accountant, really enjoyed both those, will dig out The Town

I only saw The Town recently, great stuff. I need to watch Argo.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I forgot about Argo. Its a goodun.
  • The Great Hack
    Primer documentary on how social media is the new political propaganda battleground. Start here then go read more.
  • Atomic Blonde
    Hyper-stylised Cold War knockabout thriller. Much better than John Wick. Gratuitous lesbian scene is gratuitous though.
  • poprock wrote:
    Atomic Blonde
    Hyper-stylised Cold War knockabout thriller. Much better than John Wick. Gratuitous lesbian scene is gratuitous though.

I’m intrigued.
    Think I’ll have a look
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Murder Mystery
    Tired, lazy Netflix choice. Tired, lazy film. Got what we deserved. *

The Poison Rose
    It's official - Morgan Freeman has fallen as far as John Travolta. *

Hotel Mumbai
    Brutal, tense and relatively nuanced dramatisation of real terror attacks in India. ****

Hobbs & Shaw
    Wonderfully daft action and some amusing lines, but fades before the end. ***

John Wick 3
    Some decent action, but mostly feels boring and pointless at this stage. **

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!