Movie Record: 2019 Edition!!
  • Michael Bay, innit. Same mean spirit as Bad Boys 2.
    He’s hella late to the parkour craze as well, but it’s nice to see the Storror lads making some waves.
  • Pain and Gain as well.
    He has managed to make Reynolds, The Rock and peak Will Smith unlikable.
    What a CV.
  • 6 Underground
    Michael Bay gonna Michael Bay. Plotless action, with the most product placement I’ve ever seen.
  • Christmas Break In.

Utterly awful Home Alone in a school. Lead character Izzy is 9 years old. Don't worry if you miss this at first, because she will repeatedly tell you this throughout the course of the film. Every character is utterly unlikeable with the exception of Danny Glovers' Ray, and his dog.
  • poprock wrote:
    6 Underground
    Michael Bay gonna Michael Bay. Plotless action, with the most product placement I’ve ever seen.

Did you see his later Transformers? The Mark Wahlberg one was insane product placement.
  • I honestly thought DS was the only person who’d watched that.
  • I have seen all of them. I am a masochist. Or is that sadist?
    Deep down I thought the spectacle of big things smashing into big things could make me enjoy them but those highs are so fleeting in those movies. So choppy. So hard to follow. The IMAX version of one of them would cut between IMAX aspect ratio and normal ratio between shots in an action sequence. So about 30 ratio changes in a few minutes.

The last one was spectacular though. I can't believe they got Anthony Hopkins to say the things he said in that movie. And the big finale action sequence was actually pretty good and exciting.

Bumblebee was good too.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I think it was only the latest Transformers film that had the constant aspect ratio changes and I didn't even see it on an IMAX screen... It was one of the most mentally draining films that I have ever seen.
  • The King Arthur based Transformers is a must watch. It is absolutely ridiculous.
    There is a png of a dog at one point.

All the others are just crap but that one is probably the stupidest film I have ever seen.
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home
    Not as much fun as the first one. Almost Michael Bay-esque in its plot to CGI action ratio.
  • Well, its Mysterio, so...
  • Rogue One
    Still the best of the modern Star Wars films.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The King Arthur based Transformers is a must watch. It is absolutely ridiculous.
    There is a png of a dog at one point.

All the others are just crap but that one is probably the stupidest film I have ever seen.

So stupid it's almost good.
  • I wouldnt go that far but it is certainly worth a watch with mates and beers.

Perhaps we should fo a forum screening. All start the movie at the same time and tear it to shreds.
  • 39. Godzilla Raids Again

Totally unnecessary sequel that doesn’t add anything whatsoever but does have a couple of good scenes and sequences.

[5]

40. The Rise of Skywalker

Major pacing and editing issues and a lot of WTF moments. Not very well made, but at least entertaining.

[6]

41. The Force Awakens

Wanted to rewatch earlier films before a second viewing of TRoS. This is still great fun with some nice shots and lines, always a pleasure watching Han/Ford, and introduction to Kylo Brat was fun. Just played it way too safe.

[7]

42. The Last Jedi

May not agree with the direction Johnson took with some of the characters and the random force powers introduced etc, but it is a well-made movie with some great exchanges and fights, beautiful shots and cinematography in places. Ignore your inner Star Wars fanboy and expectations of the universe, and it’s a decent movie.

[7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yesterday
    I’m sure it’s just the Christmas effect, but this wasn’t as bad as I expected. Tolerable with a couple of actual laughs.
  • Jurassic Park
    The endless shitty sequels had made me forget how good the original was. A proper blockbuster.
  • It is a masterpiece.
    The only thing that doesnt look good is where they pet the Brontosaurus(?) while in the tree but that always looked shit.

One of may favourite xmas was the year that came out. Me and my bro got loads of the toys, duvet sets, pyjamas, even dinosaur beanbags. It was 93 so I would have been 7, probably optimal xmas age.
  • Nowadays the one thing that spoils it for me is an earworm of people singing over the main theme score with “There are di-no-saurs, there are di-no-saurs, there are di-no-saurs, over there!”
  • poprock wrote:
    Nowadays the one thing that spoils it for me is an earworm of people singing over the main theme score with “There are di-no-saurs, there are di-no-saurs, there are di-no-saurs, over there!”

Never heard anyone doing this, get better friends.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    It is a masterpiece.
    The only thing that doesnt look good is where they pet the Brontosaurus(?) while in the tree but that always looked shit.

One of may favourite xmas was the year that came out. Me and my bro got loads of the toys, duvet sets, pyjamas, even dinosaur beanbags. It was 93 so I would have been 7, probably optimal xmas age.

It's one of my favourite cinema memories. I would have been 10. My mum took me to see it, during the summer holidays I think. We walked to the new multiplex Warner cinema (with massive screens and awesome surround sound compared to the clapped out odeon in town) in glorious sunshine. When we got to the cinema there was a huge queue, but we had pre booked the tickets so bypassed it and went straight in. We got our popcorn, a huge coke and settled in for what was probably the best blockbuster cinema experience I'll ever have.
  • Brilliant.
    It was a special movie at a special time in cinema.
    I remember seeing it at The Point in Milton Keynes, a proper landmark that has been under threat from redevelopment, probably the first example of the people of a 'New Town' rallying to save a heritage site.

The walkway to the ticket booth would normally be quick but a big movie like that would see a queue from McDonalds, over the road, down past a couple of bars, through the games arcade and then the glass pyramid would open up revealing the ticket booth down the stairs surrounded by posters and cutouts for all the latest movies.
  • Oh it was something special. A true masterpiece of cinema and a proper spectacle.
    They brought dinosaurs to life and it blew my child like mind.
    It still does.
    And THAT score by John Williams gives me goosebumps every time.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Oh man I’m going all misty eyed thinking about seeing it for the first time, hearing that theme tune and seeing real life dinosaurs on the big screen
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Back when blockbusters literally were blockbusters.
  • Never heard anyone doing this, get better friends.

Plot twist: I did. (It was an ex-girlfriend and her musical theatre pals.)
  • National Treasure
    Pure honking rancid cheese. Fun though, if only for Sean Bean’s bemused face throughout.
  • It is trash of the highest order.
    But it is fun trash of the highest order.
  • The Mummy: Rise of the Dragon Emperor
    How many of these films did they make? Utter trash.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!