The No Subject Thread
  • Kow wrote:
    He's been doing the same routine for years and years so it's a bit tired.

I’ve mostly ignored him since the late ’90s so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I see it a bit like going to see a big famous band just because they’re playing in a wee venue. Worth it for the atmosphere and the chance to see someone I wouldn’t bother with at full price. Like I’m not a fan of U2 but if I could go see them play Sunday Bloody Sunday in my local fleapit, that’d be a magic night out.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've ignored him since the mid-'90s, but he did well on his running things.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think it's just that he's done it so often that it's tired. I had never heard any of it before either. Mind you, he did half of it in Spanish when I saw him so that made it a bit better. The English half felt a bit like going through the motions. Still entertaining enough though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You've all heard this quote, right?

One character asks: "What does it do?" Another replies: "It doesn’t do anything. That’s the beauty of it.”

Where's it from?

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nope, never heard it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Really looking for new places to cook from. I'm aware this can lead to a loaded response of options, but let me tell you the areas I think I've fairly exhausted.

Europe / Eastern Europe - I've actually now got bigos on my normal schedule of rotations. Spanish/Italian/German/French are as expected.

Africa - I cook a lot of Moroccan and Ethiopian (oddly - my dad got me into it)

America - have cooked all over North America, from clean Californian to dirty southern, to quick east coast / sea food

South America - Mexican is my specialty (beyond tex mex btw) and I learned a lot from my time in Venezuela, and cook their stuff (like Pabellon Criollo) regularly.

Asia - Indian / East Asian are common here, have done Thai, Malaysian, Korean, Japanese, Szechuan and the like.

What major / cool / doable country or area am I missing? Pls help. I need a new thing to try out!
  • Fucking hell reg. For godsake!
  • DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE NO SUBJECT THREAD
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WELP
  • Nordic?
    All fishes and pickles and pickled fishes but seems to be getting trendy, revolves around ingredients mind.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    You've all heard this quote, right?

One character asks: "What does it do?" Another replies: "It doesn’t do anything. That’s the beauty of it.”

Where's it from?

Really in no way connected but reminded me of the simpsons when homer has the dream about making a new invention that fits in the palm of your hand and he can't see it.
  • Look to the ex-Soviet States. Embrace Paprika in its many, many forms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nordic?
    All fishes and pickles and pickled fishes but seems to be getting trendy, revolves around ingredients mind.

I was actually thinking about that. Living in Edinburgh means I can pay £15 of a Saturday morning to go on a "foraging tour". Had elvers on toast a few years ago.

Awfuls

But maybe that's where I need to go next
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Really looking for new places to cook from. I'm aware this can lead to a loaded response of options, but let me tell you the areas I think I've fairly exhausted.

Europe / Eastern Europe - I've actually now got bigos on my normal schedule of rotations. Spanish/Italian/German/French are as expected.

America - have cooked all over North America, from clean Californian to dirty southern, to quick east coast / sea food

South America - Mexican is my specialty (beyond tex mex btw) and I learned a lot from my time in Venezuela, and cook their stuff (like Pabellon Criollo) regularly.

Asia - Indian / East Asian are common here, have done Thai, Malaysian, Korean, Japanese, Szechuan and the like.

What major / cool / doable country or area am I missing? Pls help. I need a new thing to try out!

You know you've named every continent except Australia and Antarctica there, so barbequed penguin is about the only option left.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Look to the ex-Soviet States. Embrace Paprika in its many, many forms

I should probably say I have done this a million times. I made Latvian last november
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

You know you've named every continent except Australia and Antarctica there, so barbequed penguin is about the only option left.

Job done. Oddly enough I have never cooked Australian so a NEW TARGET IS GOT
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I don't see Greek or Turkish food on there. 

Spain/Italy/German/France aren't really eastern europe though aren't they?
  • Foraging sounds good reg.
    Did you see the Master Chef episode (think it was the final) where they were sent to that Nordic place?
    Sorry, I'm a bit vague on detail.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nina - geek and Turkish are staples. Hard for me to cover all the stuff I've done because I forget it, but have done everything from honey feta salad to souvlaki to full on lamb leg dishes!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Foraging sounds good reg.
    Did you see the Master Chef episode (think it was the final) where they were sent to that Nordic place?
    Sorry, I'm a bit vague on detail.

I probably did but my memory is rotten. I think it's probably where I need to go next
  • It doesn't have to be Nordic, but the concept is sound. Only cook that that is available to you or would be available locally. This really forces you to consider flavours and sometimes the less trendy herbs etc. (eg. In Nordic for example they don't use lemon juice or garlic, but will use ramson when in season)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think I might just need to go to this world class fishmongers in Stockbridge more regularly - grab something that is fresh then see what I can do from there. Good advice
  • Yeah it is a solid concept.
    Also pickling and brining to preserve those ingredients.
    Nick's pickles he made the other day looked top notch.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Have you done northern Spanish stuff like fabada, potaje, caldo gallego etc?
  • Have you found the food thread
  • I've killed the food thread with my dank download requests.
  • Reg, your African stuff is North African only, and your Asian/East Asian doesn't seem to include the likes of Tibet/Nepal, or any of the Middle East (Arabia or any of the -stans).
  • Downloads in the food thread not the downloads thread.
    Questions about food not in the food or questions thread.
    This place is a mess.
    I blame Yoss.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Tibetan dumplings are called momos, which is apt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!