The No Subject Thread
  • He was undoubtedly hoping for no customers, anyone who's worked in retail appreciates the oh just fuck off feeling, but it's not a dick move to buy a coffee from a coffee shop during their opening hours.
  • If all the equipment is cleaned/being cleaned and chairs are going up, and there's no one else in there, then yeah I agree with Nox.
  • Can't agree there. When I worked in the bar, I'd clean everything in the hope that no one would want anything, but if someone did, then it is what it is. If it's after opening hours, that's different.
  • Yeah technically, but it's a still a bit of a dick thing. I mean, do you want to be the person standing there at 7.59 when a shop closed at 8 going, "I think you'll find I have one minute and am entitled to service so I'll thank you to get on with it" or something? Just go somewhere else.

If there are other people in there or they clearly haven't started packing away, then that's more acceptable.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, as long as I've got the doors open then I'm not going to get upset about someone coming in to buy something. It might be a bit annoying but I'd be annoyed at the circumstance, not the customer.
  • For me it's pretty simple. Would you rather live in a world where everyone is exercising this extra little bit of consideration; allowing us all to finish work or time, or perhaps even a little early? Or would you rather live in the world where nobody is going this?

Surely nobody would answer the latter. It's minor selfishness vs a touch of compassion. Everyone should do their bit
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    For me it depends on the circs a bit. But in nox's description, I ain't popping in to buy a coffee, despite the time. Hell I'm not even checking the time, I'm waking on by
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @Nox If he was an ant you'd have offered him a croissant
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Clearing up time will be built into the shift. Clearing up whilst still open is about leaving early, not on time.

Again, I'm not coming at this from the perspective of the customer. This was my perspective when doing the job.
  • My vaults is good for this, we advertise that we shut the vault 15 minutes before closing, so we can always turn people away and closed and locked up on time. At the bars/cafes i’ve worked at we served up until close and as such we’d be hanging around cleaning, unpaid, anywhere between 30mins to an hour. Ho hum.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But I personally wouldn't find it inconsiderate, as the worker in a coffee shop, to make someone a coffee while the shop is open. I worked in a fast food restaurant for a couple of years and this scenario was fairly common. It was annoying but I never blamed the customer. For all I knew they could have just finished a 14 hour shift and wanted something to eat before heading to bed.
  • I'd rather people in service jobs got paid properly tbh.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Like Dante, we got paid for an hour after closing, for cleaning up. We would do as much as we could before closing so we could leave early (while still getting paid).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Irrespective of who/what you're blaming, "it was annoying" is the kicker, surely? As nox says, if you can easily safe that person that annoyance, why not? Cos you're that desperate for a coffee and there's really nowhere else?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Circumstances though isn't it. The shop is open, I'm paid to serve customers, I didn't have an issue with it when I worked retail.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So, like dante, I'm not saying how this guy should feel, I'm telling you how I felt when I was working retail.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fair enough, but the original question was posed from the perspective of the customer, with the cafe worker fairly clearly viewing things differently to how you used to
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If as a customer you feel guilty, leave a tip? Did she leave a tip noxy?
  • I think a little sympathy with retail is ok. They get paid fuck all, work hard and I think while it's not a dick move it's also nice to be understanding. Restraunts are worse because people can stay for literally hours. Walking in with ten minutes to closing in an empty restaurant can mean an extra two hours for the staff, and the extra pay only just covers the taxi expense because it's so late when you leave. Thank fuck I don't do that anymore.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I thought noxy was talking about grabbing a coffee from an actual coffee shop. I certainly wouldn't sit in anywhere about to close.

Edit: but he said takeouts. So I think I'm back on the not a dick move side now.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    He was undoubtedly hoping for no customers, anyone who's worked in retail appreciates the oh just fuck off feeling, but it's not a dick move to buy a coffee from a coffee shop during their opening hours.

I turn the lights off and lower the big electric car door in the showroom on anyone turning up five minutes before closing time without an appointment.

Oh sorry we're just closing and I've got childcare to relieve .. soz, not soz.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Evening All, 

Been on a self-inflicted break from this place since October so hope you'll all doing well. Big apology to @tempy as I've only just found out about the teaching woes and feel sorry and annoyed that I wasn't around to help you out. I'm really sorry. 

I wasn't planning on coming back at this point in time but one of my ex-students is missing and was hoping that those of you with Facebook, Twitter etc would do me the courtesy of sharing the story. Your sharing is unlikely to lead to finding out what has happened but if there's the slimmest of possibilities, then it's worth it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47107844

Feels like a fruitless gesture but at least it makes me feel I've done something. It's a spectacularly shit situation and the few ex-students that I have on Facebook are his best mates, so seeing how it's impacting them is deeply upsetting. He's a lovely lad and this is very much out of character. 

Thanks

Stoph
  • I have shared that a few places Stoph. Nice to see you back. Don't worry about the PGDE thing, it has ended up being a fairly bleak chapter but it's over now I guess. Onwards and upwards. I just applied for a job talking about the T-rex at Kelvingrove Gallery so y'know, every cloud. Hope your ex-student gets found. Even if you don't stick around you can always feel free to send me an email.
  • Christ, not another one? There's a girl missing from Hull Uni too.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    FB shared Stoph.
    Good to see you here again, but not the circumstances.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Shared on Facebook

May I ask why the break?
    The Forum Herald™
  • CuN075y.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    CuN075y.gif

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • is it normal for someone to dictate what colour and style of suit I'm allowed to wear to their wedding?

I'm already spending hundreds of euros attending the event in Italy. To be told I have to fork out for an additional suit I will only wear once seems a bit much.

Or maybe I'm being difficult here and this is standard practice. It's only the 2nd wedding I've been invited to
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've never heard of that but then Italians are a bit weird about clothes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!