The No Subject Thread
  • Usually only if you're in the wedding party.
  • I've heard people say please wear something X colour. But saying you must have a whatever coloured suit is too much. 
    I have a suit, that's what I'm wearing, end of for me.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

I am in the grooms party.
  • Well there you go then. I'd say that's reasonable.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If by the groom's party you mean the couple of guys with a special function, rather than just invited by his side of the family, then the groom usually pays for those suits. Like the bride pays for the bridesmaids' dresses.
  • What colour suit do you have to wear?

I am in the grooms party.

Yes fairly standard when I was best man I got charged for suit hire when I got married I paid for everyone’s suit hire so who knows

But yes if your in the grooms party and everyone is wearing the same thing some one has to pay.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It’s the sort of thing that happens at some weddings, yeah. The bride and groom choose matching outfits for their ‘bridal parties’.

I think it’s a bit nuts. I also think that if people want to be nuts, that’s fine – but they should be paying for the clothes in that case. Not asking their guests to pay for a uniform.
  • I have just Googled grooms party and unless there are some team sports involved I'm still not sure why we have to all look the same
  • Because some people put massive importance on their wedding photos and having continuity in all the bridesmaids and groomsmen all looking the same. Weird but I get it.
  • If you are a groomsman, then yeah, that does happen, although generally people rent, not buy. Most weddings I've been to though the couple pay for attire if they are specifying.

I think it's shitty to expect someone to fork out for a suit because you want them to all look the same.
  • I have just Googled grooms party and unless there are some team sports involved I'm still not sure why we have to all look the same
    poprock wrote:
    I think it’s a bit nuts. I also think that if people want to be nuts, that’s fine.

Some people succumb to a very specific kind of madness where their wedding is concerned. I’ve never understood why. There is no logical reason for most of the decisions these people are making. Everything is just ‘because wedding’. Get used to it.
  • Looking forward to love thread update containing hijinks with bridesmaids, and so is everyone else.
  • The last wedding I went to all the grooms men wore what appeared to be very tight chinos with rolled up cuffs. Little ankle socks and braces over shirts with bow ties..

Fuck me in 20 years time you'd be able to date the photos by the outfits to within probably a month or two.

Looked interesting.

The other thing that annoys me about weddings now is no free bar.

There's often a bucket of beer bottles on arrival and when that's gone I've got to go to the bar and buy my own drinks?

We had a free bar at our wedding.
    The Forum Herald™
  • monkey wrote:
    What colour suit do you have to wear?
  • Bob wrote:
    We had a free bar at our wedding.

Us too, if by "free" you mean "fucking expensive for the bride and groom".
  • Yes. Lol. Although the bar keep was instructed no doubles, no cocktails, no champagne and no expensive whiskeys.

To be fair the bar bill wasn't that bad.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    What colour suit do you have to wear?

I don't know yet

• We didn't put any money behind the bar.  The reception venue only cost £50 to hire too (which is more than my suit cost).  In hindsight we probably overdid the 'on the cheap' plan, but it was still a great day.  Conkers on the table were key, much battling was had.
  • I’ve had a cheap wedding and an expensive one. Both were ace. People can do whatever they like, but I do get irritated when couples expect their friends/family to spend a lot on doing specific things – whether that’s outfits, travel, or overnight stays. There’s something quite selfish about things like, I dunno, stag nights overseas.
  • The expense and one upmanship on modern stag and hen nights in bonkers..

It's become traditional here to have two, one over seas all be that possible in the uk and one on the island. Bonkers.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Is that what they're calling the overseas ones now?
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Evening All, 

Been on a self-inflicted break from this place since October so hope you'll all doing well. Big apology to @tempy as I've only just found out about the teaching woes and feel sorry and annoyed that I wasn't around to help you out. I'm really sorry. 

I wasn't planning on coming back at this point in time but one of my ex-students is missing and was hoping that those of you with Facebook, Twitter etc would do me the courtesy of sharing the story. Your sharing is unlikely to lead to finding out what has happened but if there's the slimmest of possibilities, then it's worth it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47107844

Feels like a fruitless gesture but at least it makes me feel I've done something. It's a spectacularly shit situation and the few ex-students that I have on Facebook are his best mates, so seeing how it's impacting them is deeply upsetting. He's a lovely lad and this is very much out of character. 

Thanks

Stoph

Sorry to see the latest on this.
    Awful news.
  • Hadn't heard that a body has been found. That's very sad news.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Oh dear, dreadful.

Also normie trad weddings are the fuck
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Never go to a triad wedding. Certainly not as the groom.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I’m sorry Google, but this seems like a really bad idea:

pD46eL9.png
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Sorry to see the latest on this.
    Awful news.

Thanks to you all. Appreciate the reaction to my initial message and subsequently.

Have some of his closest friends coming into school today for a counselling session. As they’re all now ex-students we still wanted to help as much as we can. Also going to a church vigil this evening where his family and friends will be, which is going to be extremely difficult. Around 10 of them had come back from uni so they could go to Reading so as to search for him and give out leaflets. This turn of events has been especially hard on them.

It’s an awful situation and has left me with a feeling of deep anger and frustration. I’m angry at friends who posted that a body had been found on social networks before any confirmation. I’m angry at the nationals quoting the tweets of his friends when he was missing. I’m angry at them also trying to get interviews with friends and family. I’m angry that Reading University had a lake on site without decent lighting. I’m angry at whatever ridiculous quirks of fate led to this tragic event.

Most of all, I’m angry that a guy who you would all have described as a thoroughly decent human being has been taken too soon. I’m fairly level headed and this anger and sadness will subside but I just feel heartache for the friends and family that will live with the repurcussions for the rest of their lives.

After one of my students committed suicide a few years back, I thought that was the worst thing you could experience in this job but the added tragedy of this just makes it far worse. It appears that this was just a horrible accident. After all that it’s probably trite to quote Ferris Bueller but it keeps jumping to the forefront of my mind. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Appeciate what you’ve got, let your loved ones know and be good to each other. You never know what crap is round the corner.

Have missed the place, will pop back very soon on a regular basis. Play nicely. Much love, Stoph.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!