The No Subject Thread
  • Helena Handbasket.
  • ... and goodnight.
  • Ugh. I owe a grand in tax. Someone pay it for me please.

Well that’s shit.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ugh. I owe a grand in tax. Someone pay it for me please.

I went through this recently. Have you asked HMRC to explain it?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • They've sent me breakdowns of what I've earnt in my 2 different roles, and what I have paid in income tax. I haven't looked at it in much detail yet.

My pay went all whacky for a few months from Sept-Dec when I moved to a new job so imagine that may have been the root cause.
  • Tell them you're a freeman of the land, and as such are not liable to pay tax as you did not agree to it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    They've sent me breakdowns of what I've earnt in my 2 different roles, and what I have paid in income tax. I haven't looked at it in much detail yet. My pay went all whacky for a few months from Sept-Dec when I moved to a new job so imagine that may have been the root cause.

Yeah. Someone in the HR dept of one of your workplaces probably set an erroneous or emergency taxcode. They might ask you to fill out a tax return at a push.

You'll owe something, but I'll be surprised if it's a G.
    Be persistent though, because the department that issues those demands is staffed by dickheads.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Tell them you have prorogued your tax for the foreseeable.
  • poprock wrote:
    Glad it’s not just me then.

Oh no, definitely not just you. Possibly the most pretentious writing I've read in some time - I gave it a go though, right until she used the word 'quotidian' which is a word used by twats who want everyone to know how clever they are.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Post - op from June today.

Sadly no improvement in the right ear. Had an inner ear injection of Betnovate which goes behind a plastic part in my eardrum called a Porp, which was added during a previous surgery, and where all the problems occur.

Unfortunately I'll need one of these every 3-4 months for the foreseeable.

They're incredibly nauseating and cause me a lot of pain. Hey ho.
    I’m very sorry to hear that H. Hopefully things will improve over time.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’m sure this will be fine.
    Employees connect nuclear plant to the internet so they can mine cryptocurrency (The Ukrainian Secret Service is investigating the incident as a potential security breach.)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/employees-connect-nuclear-plant-to-the-internet-so-they-can-mine-cryptocurrency

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think I just introduced myself to my new neighbor while holding a ps4 box, some sheets and a bra.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At least they know how you like to party.
  • True story: I woke myself up today singing the theme to The Golden Girls.  Literally singing it out loud in my sleep.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I remembered recently that I was on the show games world live back in 1994-5 era. I've been desperately trying to find the episode I was on (and won) - I played Clayfighter and Psycho Pinball before recking some fanny who owned star wars toys in the quiz and winning NASA clothing.

I can't find it on YouTube - there's only 2-3 episodes of the show, is there any way I could find it elsewhere?
  • I cant help directly but a few ideas.

1. Vimeo, you have probably checked but worth mentioning.

2. Reddit and forums. Try looking for threads dedicated to games tv shows but also if there are any TV archiving enthusiasts. I believe there are communities for old adverts where people buy up old VHS tapes and see what is on them.
    They may have stuff uploaded privately.

3. You could try to track down the presenters. One of them is still on TV I think. That is a real long shot though.

4. You could try to find who has the rights to the show.
    It was produced by Hewland International and Sky.
    Hewland International folded a few years ago but was owned by Jane Hewland so you could try to track her down.

Alternatively you could try to contact Sky's rights department. This will be really expensive mind, even to commission the episode for private use. It might not even be possible.
  • This is fascinating. Cheap dirty deepfake tech in a Chinese phone app called ZAO.

https://twitter.com/AllanXia/status/1168049059413643265

Yes, it’s a Twitter thread. But it’s worth reading/watching. The guy posting it really seems to have a handle on what the democratisation of this tech means for the entertainment industry. Character creation in video games, for example – upload one photo of your face and your character is done.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Except video games will still manage to uncanny-valley the fuck out of it.
  • It’s all uncanny valley. All the way from top to bottom. But it’s getting better, within those bounds.
  • Looks like a fun distraction but I dont think it is doing anything new or better, just a streamlined experience that is user friendly (other than the privacy stuff).

It uses pre analysed clips. So while for the user it takes seconds there will have been hours of AI analysis of each clip at ZAO hq.
    The clips also seem to all be close to front on facing slightly off camera and dont show a huge amount of facial movement.
    Where there is some angle it is helped by the shape of the face being used. Chinese people have fairly flat features so depth isnt so much of an issue, get someone with a nose like Adrian Brody's and it wont look right because the AI hasn't been supplied with that data.
    His face in the link is also quite easy for an AI. Small features sperated out across a broad face, Di Caprio likewise.
    Try mapping onto De Niro's folds or worse mapping his folded up face onto something else.

It is a neat use of current tech but corners are cut and limitations put in place in order to make an easy to use experience with limited wonkiness.
  • All the above is true, yep. It’s the commercial savvy on show that I found interesting. Set that up as a one-shot app (upload one photo and nothing more) and include basic, fully licensed, GIF-making in the same app. It’s smart as hell. Instant viral fad.

And it’s a pointer to future versions of the idea. This stuff is getting better fast. Quick and dirty is impressive now. What quality could you do as quickly in a year’s time? In two?
  • In terms of Hollywood I think actors are going to have to get their likeness really locked down now legally.

The political opportunities are really quite worrying though. We already know people will believe any old shite written online, even more will believe it if it looks to be coming straight from the horse's mouth.
  • The app is now apparently tanking as, of course, there's T&C's which state that the company can use your UGC without your permission for commercial gain.

Wild tech though. Joe's social media team are fucked.
  • Love this wacky ol timeline.
  • Man I really like my train station boozer in Woolwich, best Guinness in London imo. Came here for one yesterday, ended up staying and watching the all Ireland final, was a cracking game. They pour the Guinness properly, and bring it over to you when it's ready. It looks like a bag a shite, but it's a nugget of pure gold.
  • I mean, yer man looks up and nods to the Guinness pump when I walk in the door. Where everybody knows your name (or face, in my case).
  • How do I know it's not small military hardware with normal sized cats.
  • You don’t. But some of the pictures include people for scale.
  • Mmm reckon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!