The No Subject Thread
  • Its really basic as well.
    It upsets large groups of people for good reasons so don't do it.
  • "Yeah, but this whole 'having some basic respect towards other people's feelings' is just PC gone MAAAAAAAD I tells ya!"
  • Yeah we didn't enslave a race of Hulk people and have a history of representing Hulk people badly by painting our faces like Hulk people either.
  • I still miss the Big Green Angry Minstrel Show.
  • The 70s were a different time when this sort of thing was acceptable. 
    image-asset.jpeg?format=1500w
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Was Hulk oppressed? That's the question.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My brother went to a fancy dress thing as the Hulk when we were kids. Circa the Ferrigno/Bixby TV series.

He tore up one of my shirts for his costume. The cunt.

SLJ's look in Pulp Fiction is iconic. So in one way I can see people wanting to do that. But really - it isn't on.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What if he did it without the blackface?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a genius clip from The Hulk series were he fights a bear. It is fucking hilarious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gFoNMBKty4
  • Kow wrote:
    Then he's Vincent with the wrong hair.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:

That might actually be hilarious if the hair is recreated satisfactorily.
  • I’m not a racist but I will compare SLJ’s blackness to the Hulk’s greenness.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It must be amazing to live in a context free society.
  • mk64 wrote:
    i'm not racist. 

And maybe thats the reason why I don't see a difference between person X (who is white) buying a samuel jackson mask complete with outfit or painting their face dark to represent the fact SLJ is black to try to look more like him, complete with outfit. 

I do apprecaite that "blacking up" is not cool if you're white trying to replicate looking like an african slave but for a halloween costume I see it no different to painting yourself green to look like the hulk (shit idea btw).

• All of the yikes in the world
  • I know someone that blacked up for a halloween party a few years ago as John Coffey from The Green Mile. Dungarees, muscle suit and a little mouse he'd made for his shoulder.
  • I can sort of understand these days that people have no idea about minstrel shows and the like, even the sort of stuff I remember as a kid wasn't so much overtly racist as simply weird. But yeah, don't do it.
  • As far as I see it, everyone has to be educated about it at some point. I know about it because I read an article years ago. You can't work it out for yourself if you've got no idea what blackface really is, you've never seen a program or performance with it, you don't know it's history etc. So while it's fun to point and laugh, we're all just at different stages with it. That vid above does a nice, non-condescending job of explaining it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    There's a discussion going on for years now in The Netherlands about Zwarte Piet (Black Pete).

It's a weird one, as an adult I can see all the reasons why it's wrong, but as I kid I loved it and I didn't think much of white people painting themselves black. I mean, they were climbing around rooftops at night and drop down chimneys, it made sense. But then, I still believe anything people tell me.
  • some really pathetic attempts above at making me look racist or uneducated. I’m neither and fully aware of how people blacking up in the past is inappropriate. I can see how it could be done now in an inappropriate way but if someone really wants to look like Samuel L jackson from Pulp Fiction at a costume party and wants to colour their face to not look even more stupid I don’t see harm in it. It is about context.

If I did that infront of my friends (black or any colour) they wouldn’t batter an eyelid because they know I’m not racist and I’m also not trying to be offensive or highlight any of the oppression the instances cited in this thread refer too.

Whether or not you could avoid any risk of it by just choosing a white person to dress up as is obviously the simplest option. Sounds like the person in question could’ve been perceived as racist - perhaps they are. I wouldn’t wear a nazi uniform which holds inherently racist connotations.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Who better to decide what is racist or not than white people who rationalise blackface?

It’s all about context.
  • I have black friends who would not think it’s racist if I did it. I wrote that in my post.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • “I have a black friend” is something of a trope that is best avoided.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I wouldn’t wear a nazi uniform which holds inherently racist connotations.

Blackface does too.
  • Please watch the video I posted.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Frankly, you can do what you want in the company of your close friends. It's when it moves outside of that group that it becomes a problem. Some people think what's inoffensive in private is naturally inoffensive in public.
  • Would anyone like to swap my black friend for their green one, I'm kind of bored with him.
  • “I have black a black friend” is something of a trope that is best avoided.

What a stupid thing to say.

I have black friends so if anyone of my friends would be more likely to be offended, if I did what that guy did, it would someone who is black wouldn’t it?

But I’m pointing out they wouldn’t call me a racist if I did it.

It’s a simple point someone as intelligent as you should be able to grasp easily.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!