The No Subject Thread
  • I give up trying to find the TV and monitors thread.

Samsung have a gorgeous range of arty TV out, designed a bit beyond just being a panel of the wall.

This one caught my eye. At first because it is such a unique idea but fitting for today. Secondly I wonder if it would work for shmups.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/the-sero-ls05t/
  • I like the Serif. I bought the Frame. I thought of shmups when I saw the Sero too, but no reviews I’ve seen mention anything useful …
  • Looks cool but I dunno about that permanently angled screen, feel like I would constantly notice it and be mildly annoyed.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The Serif is lovely.
    Can't afford one but might chuck it in a visual im doing
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I give up trying to find the TV and monitors thread.

Its on page 2.
  • Yeah I scrolled past it several times I am sure, just had a blind spot for it and my legs were getting numb on the loo.
  • Broadband contract ending so went to find some dealz, signed up with Plusnet, went to cancel my old one and was told I could now have it a super deal, agreed and went to cancel the one I'd just signed up for only to be offered an even better deal, did the same again and the same thing happened at which point Plusnet offered me £13 a month (fibre, 12 months) plus some prepaid £50 card thingy but I couldn't be arsed to go back to my original company to again. Broadband tennis.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah I scrolled past it several times I am sure, just had a blind spot for it and my legs were getting numb on the loo.
    Swipe standing up.
  • Can you time your broadband switchover to be exact, just as the last one is ending? Not that I need to now but I was wondering because it seems like it's either an early exit fee or one expensive month (when the deal with your current provider ends and the monthly cost shoots up).
  • Its on page 2.

If it's not on the first page it's best to just post in the thread with the closest tenuous link, mainly the no subject thread.
  • Can you time your broadband switchover to be exact, just as the last one is ending? Not that I need to now but I was wondering because it seems like it's either an early exit fee or one expensive month (when the deal with your current provider ends and the monthly cost shoots up).

When I switched from sky to Virgin it was seamless.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That's good to know. I was under the impression I had to wait until the a provider sent me a date when they were ready, not the day my contact would've ended.
  • Virgin did it all for me, I didn't need to lift a finger really - they contacted sky, cancelled my broadband and phone line and as soon as they came out and set up the router I had access to their service. I was out of contract with sky though, so there wasn't any exit costs.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Ah. What Iwas wondering was, is it possible to smoothly transition just as one contract ends? Like on that very day?
  • To put this into context, I'm trying to be less shite with my money.

I get an email from my current provider reminding me my contract ends on 20th Nov, at which point I'll be charged £37 pcm instead of my current rate (which is less than £20). So I set up a new account with a different provider but there's no set start date - they'll get in touch to let me know when that will be, but I don't want to incur an early exit fee but I don't want to pay £37 at the soon to be new rate of my current provider either, even if it's for just one month. 

Is it possible to synchronise the switchover at the exact day my current deal ends or do I have to just wait until it's up before going with a new provider, and have to pay for one expensive month?
  • Or leave yourself with a gap in service. That’d be simpler.
  • Yeah exactly. No internet is unthinkable so I'd have to try and time it to have the least gap, by maybers going with a new provider a few days/a week before my old contract ends, but this seems a bit silly.
  • I went 1.5 years with no home internet a while back, just made do with 4g on my phone. Had unlimited data and wasn't playing online stuff. This probably doesn't help you, sorry.
  • That's impressive though.
  • There's no exit few, just tell the new company that you want to switch on 20th. That serves as notice to the other company that you'll be leaving. At least in England it does.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I didn't realise you could do that. There's certainly no option when you sign up, just that it may take a while and they'll be in touch nearer the time with a starting date.
  • I switched from BT to Zen recently.  They did it all, including cancelling the contracts (line rental and broadband) with BT.  Two week leadtime for switchover.  Pre-configured router arrived in advance. Sure enough, on specified day the broadband went down.  Swapped the router and up it came.  Absolutely seamless.
  • Too late now I guess but we went with Zen because they topped a recent Which? provider poll. Certainly no complaints from us so far.

Can't remember where PlusNet came.  Think Sky and Vodafone were right at the bottom.
  • But could you specify the exact date or did they tell you when the date would be?
  • Not sure. I was out of contract.  They just told me there was a two week leadtime which was fine with me, so I never asked if I could have a different date.
  • But I don't want a gap in service you see, and yet I don't want to pay my current provider the soon to be expensive rate when my contract ends either. 

It turned out I kept my current provider when they offered a really cheap deal (everyone kept undercutting everyone else on the phone- it got silly), but it'd be handy to know.
  • Been with Zen for years, sound as fuck.
  • Zen sound pretty good. Trouble is they only offer on average of 35mbs here, the only provider to go above that is Virgin Media and I'm on their service and want to switch as they charge me £50pm.

Therefor they are my only option if I want decent speeds.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • If you are past the initial 18 months contract ring Virgin and tell them you are thinking of leaving.

I got £22 off my bill without changing my package. They will want to sign you up to another 18 months, if you aren't comfortable with that tell them you are likely moving house within that window and they should drop the contract length but need prompting to do so, I got mine down to 9 months.
  • I’m really happy with Virgin, but have to phone them soon to cancel because our new gaff has no fibre.

I’m working on a scheme to get fibre laid to the property, but even if I pull that off it’ll be through Openreach’s network and not Virgin’s. Which is a shame.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!