The No Subject Thread
  • Additionally I think working class is simply not big anymore. Manual labour (skilled or unskilled) just doesn't exist on the same scale anymore. Tempy is my definition of precariat class, which I think is the newish "stomped on" class. Precarious: uncertain jobs, uncertain income, uncertain future, no material wealth to fall back on. no rights no unions few opportunities

Plumbers can be super rich and yet firmly "working class".
  • Do you listen to rap/hip hop??
  • I'm not convinced that in a country that pivoted to the service sector, working in an office 'moves you up'

actually you're right. Definitely need to differentiate between call centre type office and "I work for Sky" or "I work for EE" in some marketing, brand, product, sales etc capacity
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Do you listen to rap/hip hop??

christ is that a question?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I listen to rap/hip hop while cleaning the floors in a museum, having driven to work in my 05 plate Lamborghini.
  • Autobahn policing pays well.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a tickable option, aye.

OK have done the survey. I get it: the "cultural signifiers" of and by themselves may be indicative of class to some extent (opera) but in reality, the more you tick (so, opera AND rap) the more "elite" you are - it represents your mixed interests and wide social circles which go beyond narrow signifiers. I mean dismiss as you wish but there is no doubt that "upper, middle and working" doesn't really describe any real UK society post WW2

tech middle class, precariat, and elite seem sensible additions to the range for my money (ha)
  • I'm working class, but enjoy a middle class lifestyle. My kids will be middle class and likely to enjoy a hunter-gatherer nomadic lifestyle.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • haha again, and exactly yes
  • Funk while I agree it is in human nature to look at others and compare yourself, judge yourself against them and vice versa, it is certainly an aspect of our behaviour that I think can be curtailed if the framework in our development is there to support/enforce it. 

We have lots of behaviours that "defend" against otherness that we do not (for the majority) indulge in like we used to. I think attitude shifts in acceptance of other races and sexualities different to our own are recent examples of how we are able to change our societal behaviours.

I think that class aspiration, which these days seems to have been completely corrupted into a desire to own better things than I currently have because I think the things I currently have are not as nice as I deserve can be altered. I think with things like people starting to try and reduce their carbon footprints and consume less/produce less waste, it can foster something else, people can become content with having just enough and knowing that they are not harming the planet any more than needs be. I think as the climate continues to degrade, as people continue to experience lower standards of living compared to their elder generations, the desire for things and consumption will start to feel increasingly out of place in most people's lives.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I was expecting at least another page of cultural activity options, no sign of bingo or wine tasting.
  • Sorry moot, I've dismantled the culture, please collect your burlap robes from the communal supply cupboard and help yourself to a bowl of turnip soup.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I can't be caught dead in those polyester rags at Abigail's party!
  • Soup? Well look at mister lah-di-dah over here.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Fuck off, I'm always being dragged around them.

Lifetime Member

I'd have thought Iceland would be rather to cold for a phallological museum, but did have a warm experience at the one in Amsterdam.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • See I agree with all of that (Roujin's stuff in case more posts come in), in fact I have to believe in it otherwise nihilism sets in. I just think it's useful to be able to frame a conversation / argument for change about these things in a proper, recognisable context.
  • Class is definitely interesting, but current modes are outdated. Working class seems to be where most people would situate themselves, and I think it’s part of the whole cultivation of aspiration. I think the gulf between lower working class and upper working class is so massive as to be utterly ridiculous, the circumstances you can be in in such a huge classification are almost worlds apart. You can be working class cos you do a service/manual job etc or your parents are from a certain background, but still be incredibly financially secure.

I always thought I was technically lower middle class cos my mum was a regional secretary, my dad/step dad worked in upper retail-ish roles, and my grandparents were long retired. But I have never earned higher than £16k, and my parents didn’t survive the financial crash and now both sets live on a shoe string which has seen them undertake massive lifestyle changes. Certainly the idea of any financial support from them is laughable. There’s no safety net for me bar the one I clawed together myself over a long time of squirrelling away uni living allowances by skipping meals, working overtime in shit jobs, and so on.

I think really what’s happened is comfort and security levels have massively shifted and there’s now probably a much lower floor to the working class, or a sub class underneath that - some financially doomed class that has given up on the working aspiration because it’s a system that doesn’t work any more. But by the same stroke those people can be university graduates who via access to the internet can be more broadly cultured than the traditional
    working class role signifiers would suggest, and at the same stroke you can have apprentices and manual labourers making well over the national average, but because they’re in the work>success>class funnel they’d label themselves as working class despite owning two cars, a house, a pet, and having a holiday once a year.

A holiday man, a fucking holiday. I think i’ve had two in ten years?

Anyway class is real, but it’s incredibly complex.
  • I hope to die quietly.
  • no raging against dying of whatever?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm Elite.  Which I was pretty happy about until this happened:
    Elite.

Makes me think i might be one of the plebs after all...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You've only got to see the cocktails Hair makes to realise he is elite. I'm betting that guy can throw a pretty amazing dinner party.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Until he gets the bowl out for the keys. Time to make your excuses and leg it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's what those elites do mate. Disgusting if you ask me.
  • I thought the bowl was just for cocktails. Not cock tales.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Until he gets the bowl out for the keys. Time to make your excuses and leg it.

What's wrong with swapping cars? Might be nice to drive someone else's for a change
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also, don't use the knife in any of the bathrooms
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    At least not to butter some toast.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!