Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Hold on, the changes to WhatsApp/Facebook don’t apply in Europe or the UK. Fucking lazy journalism from the Independent there to not even notice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55573149

Poppo saves the day. Was about to start messaging people too! Will keep Telegram and keep more of an eye on this stuff.
  • My wife has used cash once in the last 6 months. A good 80% of everything she does uses WeChat in some way. She is not an outlier. The reason she used cash once? Her phone was broken. I wish I was joking.

The ‘do everything via your messaging app’ revolution hasn’t happened in the West. It’s been promised for years, but nothing.

On the other hand, Apple Pay means I haven’t used cash since this time last year.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Amazingly, I probably trust the Chinese government with my data more than Facebook. I might feel differently if I had plans to visit China.
    That’s the spirit. Did you know that WeChat is more than just a chat app? It’s a way to buy train tickets, check your public health code, plan your cinema outings, send and receive money, top up your mobile phone, give to charity, sign up to websites, play games, get a taxi, pay for your home utilities, find used goods, book a hotel and more.

If I were a data engineer, that post would make me drool. Perhaps even a bit of sex wee

My wife has used cash once in the last 6 months. A good 80% of everything she does uses WeChat in some way. She is not an outlier. The reason she used cash once? Her phone was broken. I wish I was joking.

TBF, I’ve probably only used cash once in the last six months. When people give me cash it just sits in my wallet, I’ve had a £50 note in there for months now.
  • poprock wrote:
    Hold on, the changes to WhatsApp/Facebook don’t apply in Europe or the UK. Fucking lazy journalism from the Independent there to not even notice. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55573149

Phew.  Thanks for that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve had a £50 note in there for months now.

Baller.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can't throw your phone at a stripper. Well, I mean you could...
  • Everyone knows they have NFC readers under the nipple tassels these days.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • poprock wrote:
    Hold on, the changes to WhatsApp/Facebook don’t apply in Europe or the UK. Fucking lazy journalism from the Independent there to not even notice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55573149

Yeh my sister just posted some text about this to me from her friend who works in GDDR. Said we are ok still depsite brexit as European law still applies
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I wasn't touching! I was just trying to find the NFC reader!
  • Roujin wrote:
    Everyone knows they have NFC readers under the nipple tassels these days.

This can’t be far away from happening.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Amazingly, I probably trust the Chinese government with my data more than Facebook. I might feel differently if I had plans to visit China.
    That’s the spirit. Did you know that WeChat is more than just a chat app? It’s a way to buy train tickets, check your public health code, plan your cinema outings, send and receive money, top up your mobile phone, give to charity, sign up to websites, play games, get a taxi, pay for your home utilities, find used goods, book a hotel and more.
    If I were a data engineer, that post would make me drool. Perhaps even a bit of sex wee
    My wife has used cash once in the last 6 months. A good 80% of everything she does uses WeChat in some way. She is not an outlier. The reason she used cash once? Her phone was broken. I wish I was joking.
    TBF, I’ve probably only used cash once in the last six months. When people give me cash it just sits in my wallet, I’ve had a £50 note in there for months now.

That's not going to stop them.

Also swerve Telegram.

Get Signal.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    totally the wrong quote but you know that
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Kow wrote:
    I wasn't touching! I was just trying to find the NFC reader!

HANDS!

My memory’s gone. What film was that from? In a strip club, private dance room, and when the stripper shouts “HANDS!” a bouncer wades in and chucks the punter out. The stripper uses it as a way to avoid having a conversation, the guy hasn’t touched her at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Something very recent, yeah. Or maybe it's a common trope.
  • Kow wrote:
    Something very recent, yeah. Or maybe it's a common trope.
    They all use it. At least whenever I go in.
    The bouncers are very fast to respond :(
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • HONDS
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • This is a joke of course. For the record I have never touched a stripper

Whilst she's on the job.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

That's not going to stop them.

Also swerve Telegram.

Get Signal.

Seconded.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Problem with signal is nobody is using it. Telegram already has loads.
  • Avoid both. Use tin cans and string.
  • What's the problem with Telegram?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It may have changed now, but it didn't used to use end to end encryption, which meant that your messages might not remain private.
  • Ah, didn't know that.  Thanks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    But at least Facebook is nothing to do with it. Until they buy it.
  • I'll keep using Whatsapp for now but ever since Facebook bought it  I've been resigned to the fact that it's going to be compromised eventually.  As soon as that happens here I'm out.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Signal was setup by serious journalists under duress and threat so I'm sticking with them.

Try use Telegram as little as possible tbh but still have it. There's quite a lot wrong with telegram, even when comms are secure.

Everyone knows Instagram started accessing your front camera when you watch stories, and on facebook I imagine too. They're doing facial tracking, i.e. mood analysis
  • I just don’t want to give Facebook any more than I have to. I don’t want to give them my phone number and I certainly don’t want to give them access to my list of contacts.

Realistically, I know the horse bolted long ago. Other people have given them my number already. And by cross-referencing with other databases I’m already on, they can get any damn thing they want.

But still. It might be Custer’s last stand, but still. I’d rather not.
  • beano wrote:
    Everyone knows Instagram started accessing your front camera when you watch stories, and on facebook I imagine too. They're doing facial tracking, i.e. mood analysis

I didn’t know that. I avoid watching stories anyway, but I didn’t know that.
  • poprock wrote:
    beano wrote:

I didn’t know that. I avoid watching stories anyway, but I didn’t know that.

I didn't know that either. Bugger, best put the old chap away then
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    beano wrote:

I'd be interested in a source on that. I know there was a bit of a thing about new terms a week or so ago but thought that camera thing had been debunked.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!