The No Subject Thread
  • Yeah I think that is the primary use.
    If you ring emergency services but don't know your exact location you can just say donkey-savage-orange and they can pass that info on to responders who can punch it in to their system and be on their way.

It is way easier than faffing with trying to send someone GPS data. In fact I'm not even sure how you would go about doing that while on a 999 call. Its even easier than if you know the exact road or address really. Then factor in that the caller is likely to be a bit all over the shop.

Its a good thing to have installed on your phone even if you never use it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think also things like entrances to large a building complex. Places like large hospitals that have multiple wards and a maze of entrances could benifit from it, similarly large warehouse, factories etc, for deliveries, pickups might be able to use it.
  • It is indeed used by emergency services, a very handy tool when you need to find someone in trouble and "down the forest path, go for about 5 minutes and it's somewhere on the left" won't do it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Makes sense guys. Thanks!
  • I had a mess around with it.
    It’s a very simple solution to a niche problem.
    I like it.
    But until Google and Apple maps integrate it directly into their maps it will probably stay niche.
    I know you open the 3 words app then it will share location with Google maps and a user but it needs to be in Google maps to start with in my opinion.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • So boohoo are buying the debenhams brand and website for £55mil but not the physical stores.

Mile Ashley last april offered £125mil for debenhams, lock, stock and barrel. Would have kept the profitable physical stores open. Ok, covid has had an impact and he may not have been able to reopen physical stores when the lockdown ends, but still whoever said no to the £125mil deal is abit of a plonker.

Im gonna miss debenhams, it was a 3 floor store in our town. It had an EAT on ground floor, watch repair place on first floor and cafe on top floor.

Feck knows how the council are going to fill all these boarded up out of business stores on the high street. Personally id like more independent shops to return but thats very unlikely. E-commerce is killing the high street, i dunno if anyone has the answer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    AR headsets are the solution. You can walk around your boarded up kip of a town and see nice welcoming stores and businesses everywhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do: non-profit, community spaces.

What I don’t have is the power to make it a reality.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    So boohoo are buying the debenhams brand and website for £55mil but not the physical stores. Mile Ashley last april offered £125mil for debenhams, lock, stock and barrel. Would have kept the profitable physical stores open. Ok, covid has had an impact and he may not have been able to reopen physical stores when the lockdown ends, but still whoever said no to the £125mil deal is abit of a plonker. Im gonna miss debenhams, it was a 3 floor store in our town. It had an EAT on ground floor, watch repair place on first floor and cafe on top floor. Feck knows how the council are going to fill all these boarded up out of business stores on the high street. Personally id like more independent shops to return but thats very unlikely. E-commerce is killing the high street, i dunno if anyone has the answer.

flats, high st's will slowly decline at each end and become housing. 

The retail sector has tried to create new experiences for shoppers for about a decade now with limited success. The pandemic has just made an even faster shift for people to get on to online shopping as the new norm.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I think the only thing that will help the high street is stuff like rapid drone delivery. Go to town, buy something in a shop, don't worry about shclepping it home, a drone will drop off a copy of whatever you brought in store at whatever time you were going to get home. 

Yoss is bang on about community run spaces, but a lot of the problem is that often retail spaces are in privately owned centres and the councils dont have the funds to rent out units on the short or long term fixed structures that these places often want, although with the continued decline I think they will eventually have to become more accomodating.

The sad part is that the conversion to flats is often a real shitfuck, these buildings were not designed for living, and retrofitting them even with some form of gutting out and replacing the insides often leads to pretty sub standard housing unfortunately.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I think there will be a skeleton of a high street in small towns and the closest city or city sized town will have the rest of the shops than a small town lacks.

I like wondering around town with headphones on, window shopping. I cant see the high street completely disappearing, i would be sad to lose it. No reason it cant be a mix of housing, community spaces and commerical endeavors.

I think there are some shops which people will always need or want.
  • Yeah, there will always be a need of public services stuff like dining out, cafes, bars, hairdressers, repair shops and charity shops, etc. so there will always be an amount of retail space required, I agree that in future, redevelopments and new developments will probably just have less of it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Showrooms are the thing. Well, one thing anyway. Brand-owned stores that likely don’t even sell you anything. Just act as showroom space with product demos, experts on hand, etc. Giant interactive adverts, basically. Then go home and buy the products online from your favourite evil retail god.

There are always some product categories that you want to see, touch, try out before you buy. And you can’t do that online.
  • I was going to put this in the Covid thread, but then thought better of it. I’d rather not derail that.

https://coronasweeper.com

My best so far is a score of 44 on the standard settings (9x9 grid, 10 outbreaks).
  • Oz3vWB2.png
  • Well done! (But keep wearing your mask.)
  • My boss seems less impressed for some reason (but keep wearing your mask)
  • You sure you arent Boris Johnson?
  • Someone send help, Sparkles is on a ventilator now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I licked the thing and now this has happened. Who'd have thunk it?
  • poprock wrote:
    xA4oe9p.png

Ayyy congrats!

DaJ2LJu.png
  • That's right, the fun police are here, turn in all your fun, it belongs to the state now.
  • (But keep wearing your mask!)
  • 60,000th post on the 2000th page.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    OMG!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!