The No Subject Thread
  • I can't, I'm to old!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • You don't read articles Grem.
  • I've now read it and it's pretty great! Can't see the comments though. Can someone write them down and post them to me please?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll turn them into an epic poem and recite it to someone who lives a bit further north than me and getting them to do the same.
  • Once it gets far enough north someone can attach it to a pigeon’s leg and cover ground more quickly.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ll turn them into an epic poem and recite it to someone who lives a bit further north than me and getting them to do the same.

Just need Dave Gorman really.

• https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/style/creators-selling-selves.html

Has anyone posted this article yet? Because it's a terrifying look at our near future dystopia.
  • Jesus fucking Christ.
  • Inspired by Black Mirror. Also, 'creators'. What are they creating?
  • Fuck this world.
  • JonB wrote:
    Inspired by Black Mirror. Also, 'creators'. What are they creating?
    An economy built on pure bullshit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    They are creating anger
  • They are making money on social media because the current jobs market is a fucking disaster zone for young people coming out of all levels of higher and further education. 

It's like someone created an economic system that siphons money from the workforce and puts it in the pockets of the minority at the top of the tree, so people started looking outside that system for means of earning money that might less depressing and unfulfilling, or something. 

I dunno, I guess it's new and its young people doing it so it must be automatically bad because we don't understand why people would do it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    I dunno, I guess it's new and its young people doing it so it must be automatically bad because we don't understand why people would do it.

What a bunch of absolute horseshit.
  • I'm generalising, but some of the outrage is verging on "SOCIAL MEDIA BAD" and very much looking like old people yelling at clouds. 

Does social media have problems? Yes. Do we need to better educate people about the dangers of these platforms? Yes. Should we dismantle the system of socioeconomic policies that has brought us to the point where people would just do whatever people vote them to for money? Yes.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Which of the comments from the people here (who you were replying to, it seems) implied outrage / old men shouting at clouds?
  • I said I'm generalising. It's not about people here, no one on this forum is doing SOCIAL MEDIA BAD reactionary throwing up of hands into the air. But plenty of people elsewhere online and off are doing this and a lot of it comes from a position of ignorance about the range of experiences on social media, not just the damaging parasocial and coercive aspects.

Edit: If it was I would just quote them and go off like a true king.
  • I think you should take a break from social.media, will do you a world of good.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I will only log off if it improves my zinc levels.
  • Will pay five roujcoin for you to stay logged on all day.
  • Easiest five roujcoin of my entire life!
  • Roujin wrote:
    I will only log off if it improves my zinc levels.

Will improv your melatonin levels as you sleep better, which plays a crucial role in zinc intake retention, then you can cum loads. The ladies will be like "woah he is sensitive and on message I bet his jizz will just dribble out, just my luck I hate the world", and then gasp involuntarily as you gush like a geyser on Enceladus
  • Fuck it's Enceladus not Europa OHMAGOD IM SUCH A STUPID
  • OHMAGOD IM SUCH A STUPID

AND you had to edit your spelling of geyser. Fucksake Gonzo.
  • Poppo sees everything it's like my worse fears are coming true ALL THR BADGERS ARE GONNA KNOW THAT REALLY I AM A STUPID.
  • It's one thing to make money off people getting a view into your life, no matter how manufactured it is. It's another thing to sell control of your life. Considering how things always get pushed to the extremes these days and also considering how many people are struggling for money and likely willing to do anything for money I really can't see how this won't end bad for someone.

What was that movie about this exact concept?
  • It's one thing to make money off people getting a view into your life, no matter how manufactured it is. It's another thing to sell control of your life. Considering how things always get pushed to the extremes these days and also considering how many people are struggling for money and likely willing to do anything for money I really can't see how this won't end bad for someone. What was that movie about this exact concept?

Just seems like giving normos / fans the chance to make certain decisions in the lives of online-famous people, like "toast OR eggs for breakfast?" or "cut my nails OR cut my throat - you vote now!" sort of things. Harmless fun.

One thing which is true: I am old, in the sense that I am totally cut off from youth culture. I have no idea what's in the charts, and certainly no idea what's actually cool music to listen to not in the charts. I am almost totally social media free - and kids these days are fucking all over that shit, there's a whole culture going on with hundreds of millions of fans (bigger than things we like, like cinema) and millions of dollars and dozens of platforms and as an outsider it seems both ridiculous (which means I'm old, and don't get it, suck it up other old people) and scary (which also means I'm old and so are you)
  • Roujin wrote:
    I will only log off if it improves my zinc levels.
    Will improv your melatonin levels as you sleep better, which plays a crucial role in zinc intake retention, then you can cum loads. The ladies will be like "woah he is sensitive and on message I bet his jizz will just dribble out, just my luck I hate the world", and then gasp involuntarily as you gush like a geyser on Enceladus
    I don't use my phone in bed already, that is is prime holding the cat while falling asleep crying time.
    It's one thing to make money off people getting a view into your life, no matter how manufactured it is. It's another thing to sell control of your life. Considering how things always get pushed to the extremes these days and also considering how many people are struggling for money and likely willing to do anything for money I really can't see how this won't end bad for someone. What was that movie about this exact concept?

Agree, almost guaranteed harm resulting from this system, the accompanied NFT based stock market of "influencers" also a guaranteed terrible thing leading to "Oh no if I don't X my value will go down" and accompanying mental health issues all over the place.

Where I struggle, is directly blaming people who are involved in this, undoubtedly some of the people involved here are scummy techbro types and have monetised a thing that shouldn't be monetised they can get in the bin, but others are just people who have inherited a world where this is a considered viable alternative by a chunk of people to just participating in the regular jobs market. I think stuff like this is only going to get worse if the situation regarding the global shifting of labour to the lowest cost centres on the planet and automation further shrinking the jobs pool is not addressed. When you can't work any of the so called "entry level" jobs because they are majority automated in the future, more and more people are sadly going to make money off the value they have as a person.

I would assume, that if access to housing, public services and jobs that allowed people to live comfortably on a full time wage were things that existed for people, there would be a lot less impetus to look for other ways of earning money. IMHO and all that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!