Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yooooo
  • regmcfly wrote:
    So games eh

The reason we all frequented this here place.
    I'm drunk reggie hold me!
  • djchump wrote:
    Well, yeah, i only consider it odd because you’re excited for a future that arrived 5 years ago.
    I mean, it really is a golden age we’re living through with so much choice.

That's like knocking people who are excited about vr because it's been around for ages. The key thing is obviously things have improved and streaming , like vr, is in a much better state than it was 5 years ago.
    djchump wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Taking the companies involved, what's the problem with streaming if tech is reasonably solid though? The biggest issue for me with gamepass is I only have so much space on the hard drive so I can't just drop in and out on games like I can on say Netflix with a TV series. Streaming solves that.
    The problems for streaming have always been infrastructure (broadband in the uk sucks) and financial (does the cost and pros outweigh the cons for the
    consumers and the hardware platform owners).

Infastrucutee aside (for me that falls under tech) the financial one is interesting. I certainly feel now that as an adult something like gamepass is right up my street. 10 euro a month, good range of games etc. I'm not sure if that suits all people and it doesn't seem like a model that will appeal to casual people as easily as the netflix/ spotify thing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Well, yeah, i only consider it odd because you’re excited for a future that arrived 5 years ago. I mean, it really is a golden age we’re living through with so much choice.
    That's like knocking people who are excited about vr because it's been around for ages. The key thing is obviously things have improved and streaming , like vr, is in a much better state than it was 5 years ago.
    Well, no, it's not. It's like pointing out that VR is already here and readily available to someone saying "I can't wait until VR comes out! It'll be revolutionary when it does!"
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Taking the companies involved, what's the problem with streaming if tech is reasonably solid though? The biggest issue for me with gamepass is I only have so much space on the hard drive so I can't just drop in and out on games like I can on say Netflix with a TV series. Streaming solves that.
    The problems for streaming have always been infrastructure (broadband in the uk sucks) and financial (does the cost and pros outweigh the cons for the consumers and the hardware platform owners).
    Infastrucutee aside (for me that falls under tech) the financial one is interesting. I certainly feel now that as an adult something like gamepass is right up my street. 10 euro a month, good range of games etc. I'm not sure if that suits all people and it doesn't seem like a model that will appeal to casual people as easily as the netflix/ spotify thing.

TBH I think the most significant financial barriers are the ones that the platform holders face - they've got to either source their own hardware or spin up VMs on AWS or some other cloud provider. These days virtualisation is a lot better established so load-balancing should hopefully mean that there won't be any queueing problems at peak times. But even then the kind of processing that AAA games like Battlefield etc need to produce nice visuals is fairly significant.
    Whether that kind of availability can be offered at a price point that is acceptable to the punters but also pulls in enough profit (after platform and content-provider cuts) is what I figure has been the main stumbling block for streaming anything. The grunt needed for gaming is orders of magnitude more than serving up media content for Spotify/Netflix etc.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m amused by the implication that nobody was excited about VR in the many years that the Oculus Rift was still being developed.
  • djchump wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Well, yeah, i only consider it odd because you’re excited for a future that arrived 5 years ago. I mean, it really is a golden age we’re living through with so much choice.
    Well, no, it's not. It's like pointing out that VR is already here and readily available to someone saying "I can't wait until VR comes out! It'll be revolutionary when it does!"

But yoss isn't excited about streaming being a new thing, he is excited that it's looking likely that he will have a streaming service that isn't tied to a single console brand.

And with vr, most of us had dismissed it until the last few years where it has taken off because of the games being produced, the tech being both affordable and reliable and the concept really starting to gain ground. Not because it's new.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    But yoss isn't excited about streaming being a new thing, he is excited that it's looking likely that he will have a streaming service that isn't tied to a single console brand. 

So, OnLive and Gaikai then.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How about a streaming service that works on devices I own now and am likely to own in the future?
  • My virgin box fucks up too often for me to buy into a 100 percent stream situation.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m amused by the implication that nobody was excited about VR in the many years that the Oculus Rift was still being developed.
    You've confused yourself. There was absolutely no implication of that in my analogy.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    How about a streaming service that works on devices I own now and am likely to own in the future?
    https://www.utomik.com  ?
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/geforce-now/   ?

Kinda depends what devices you have really. Zune and Window Phone not supported :-P
  • Yossarian wrote:

442407a3362c7466fa822a0ec32e73b4-76379011-1300697098-4d87100a-620x348.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    You've confused yourself. There was absolutely no implication of that in my analogy.

Replace VR with Oculus Rift in your quote and I can promise you my brother said pretty much those exact words to me.
  • Dont wanna start a format war but only fair I answer Digi.

Onlive.
    Never used it but never heard much good about it beyond concept.

PSNow
    Did a trial 12-18 months ago so it may have changed, they have certainly bolstered the PS4 library.
    Everything was 720p max, I dont think that is good enough and wont be good enough for whatever MS/Google/Amazon are planning, if they are planning on targeting console gamers.

Input lag was awful. It made some games just poorer than on hardware but others it broke. GoW Ascension was a nightmare at times, with Quicktime events with randomly assigned buttons, took tens of tries to do things I would have nailed first or second attempt normally.

I have a good internet connection (100mb Virgin, only me living here, good download, good upload for domestic fibre and decent ping).
    When I looked into it forums suggested it was very hit and miss with a decent connection not necessarily producing a decent result.
    My experience was consistent over different days and times as well so not due to high traffic or anything like that.

I think the difference with MS and/or Google is they are much more established in terms of the logistics of data delivery. Their platforms and data gathering, given they each own some of the most used operating systems, mean they will have a very strong idea of the connections speeds people have and the goals they need to reach for the average user.

Infrastructure is indeed the biggest barrier but it is always improving. In the past decade I have moved to various places but gone from 8mb, to 40mb, to 60mb, now 100mb. That isn't the case for everyone #pray4gman, but fibre is becoming more and more common.
    The issues really are at their end now and MS/Google are much better setup than Sony or the OnLive guys are/were. Not only that but the weight they can put behind the projects is far superior.
    Google have infinite money, MS less so but seem fully dedicated to this where PSNow always felt like a side project.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

442407a3362c7466fa822a0ec32e73b4-76379011-1300697098-4d87100a-620x348.jpg

You should probably google that. It’s been closed down for 4 years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    https://www.utomik.com  ?
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/products/geforce-now/   ?

Kinda depends what devices you have really. Zune and Window Phone not supported :-P

I don’t see much support there apart from Mac in the second one. Am I missing something?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You should probably google that. It’s been closed down for 4 years.

I was referring back to this, should probably have quoted that too.  
    RedDave2 wrote:
  • Shadow is ya 2019 OnLive.
    Here is Linus Tech Tips on it. He seems to like it but is in their office soooooo....

Like I say though, what is interesting is that MS/Google/Amazon have the heft to make it work.
    If they go for the dedicated hardware per person like Shadow, I'm not sure, I dont think so.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah right, fair enough. But yes, there’s still a larger piece of the puzzle here (which is going to sound like I’m shifting the goalposts, I know, but it’s not supposed to be, it’s just how my brain works at filling in detail), which is being able to sit at home and pick up the game in full quality on my hardware at home. Streaming is an excellent option which I would like available, but I don’t want it to be my only option for playing a particular title.

Edit: Dante.
  • Streaming just opens the door to every game as a [jim sterling voice] "liiiive serrvice".

No thanks.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That pretty much seems to have happened without streaming.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It does, but mentioning competition in relation to a point made in this thread which was on topic is a bit different to jumping in with unconnected console war-isms.

Woo woo thread police.

What. A. Cunt. You're one of the most knee jerk console-warry persons around. Which is super weird btw.

What a bizarre case of pot calls kettle black.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve been staying out of this stuff for a while now, but cheers anyway.
  • Since streaming is probably going to be the new next gen battleground, we should probably get used to this horseshit about the quality of the respective services. Either that or clamp down now by punching it in the fuck early doors.

I assume streaming is rank for VR so that might be something the established players double down on to differentiate themselves a bit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    He did so by having a pop at Microsoft in a thread about a Google service.
    You're the one who brought Microsoft into this thread that's "about Google".

I mentioned competitors in relation to Google, not in relation to each other.

But w/e, I do still think this is the future, and I’m currently more excited about the future of gaming than I have been in many years. Feel free to consider it a bit odd, but I’m happy to be enthusiastic about what I see coming up.
    I can’t get my head around the bold bit. Maybe I’m just cynical but what is there to be excited about? Genuine q. I can sort of see how taking console power limits out of the mix might push games forward. But another inhibitor is always dev time for taking advantage of the power available. There’s few games that really push stuff to the limit. Tools and power need to evove together.

Also I’m way less interested in MP shooters than most and that’s probably the main area that might see any advantage.
  • My ‘worry’ is a full Spotifysation of the games market which will, in turn, affect the types of games produced and probably not for the better eg devs get paid per hour of playtime. So now they’re even more grindy, even more IAPs, Indie devs get even more lost in the crowd, the economics of making a 3 or 4 hour game becoming even more untenable.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I see a big change coming to an industry which I feel could do with some change, this offers new possibilities. Streaming is a good example, I think. Streaming TV has opened up space for TV platforms to take more risks, Netflix has handed creators more control, I feel like the same thing could happen with games. We have asked where all the AA games have gone, streaming services could provide a home for those types of games with reduced risks for producers.

I’m also seeing fewer barriers between platforms, more openness to working together and being able to share experiences regardless of which console or computer you’re using. This is hugely positive IMO.

Also, Microsoft’s recommitment to gaming can only be a positive thing, for me personally as enjoy the types of games that Microsoft tends to offer, but also for the industry as a whole as real competition tends to push everyone to work harder.

Plus CPU speed increases should hopefully make space for the types of new experiences which have been a bit lacking in this gen compared to last.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    My ‘worry’ is a full Spotifysation of the games market which will, in turn, affect the types of games produced and probably not for the better eg devs get paid per hour of playtime. So now they’re even more grindy, even more IAPs, Indie devs get even more lost in the crowd, the economics of making a 3 or 4 hour game becoming even more untenable.

That's a great point, and I think my worry too.  TBH, I think there will be a spit, at least to start with - streaming being low-fi, lower FPS, not-targeted-at-gamers games (so mass-market, leading to proliferation), with home console market for the likes of us a thing for a good few years yet.  I think they'll be some attempts to get AAA down the pipe, but they'll continue to struggle for a while yet.  There'll be a watershed moment soon after December 2024.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Before then fo sho.
  • It’ll usher in a whole new era for lag.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!