X Box Series S and X thread of MS DOING IT BETTER
  • Its bugging me now but there was a game last gen iirc could have been late 360 that had horrendous bump into wall animations. It was designed for larger areas but every now and again you had to go into a smaller room.
    Being in said small room had you pinballing around like a Talking Heads video.

Probably far too vague to figure out but it sticks in my mind.
  • In terms of the scope question.
    I think this is a B tier game. A level of game prominent in the 360 gen but sadly disappeared for the most part last gen.
    I hope it returns because quite often they offer unique concepts or experiences at a level not quite as polished as AAA but with a scope that is difficult to achieve by pure indie studios.
  • I like AA stuff, I think it's a missing gap in the market. Hellblade proved you could do this stuff, but that was an experiment that they geared heavily towards, and it was a bit of a marketing stunt "we made this with 20 people and it rivals AAA" is a little bit further from the truth of the matter I imagine.

It's interesting to me that Bloober are a studio that's bigger than Bethesda at the time of Skyrim, but I imagine much of Bloober's staff is on art and technical art duty - the game is technically pretty impressive (outside the character) and rendering two things at once the way it does is really interesting. I imagine the character model took a hit cos it was less important to them than the two locales at once  .

I don't think £40 is the right price-point for a player though. It clearly cost them a lot of money, and I think they changed the price from a lower price-point quite late down the line on Steam because there were a lot of complaints.

If I had paid for the game, I would have felt short-changed for £40, not because there's anything wrong with an experiential style game costing that much, just that there's no substance to it really. There's scope for them to do interesting stuff and they just don't do that.

Game Pass is definitely a boon for it, cos it lets more people take a punt on it, and I think everyone should get to Siwa and see the dual world stuff in action cos it's excellent, but I wouldn't expect much more than that overall.

Microsoft and Epic being able to bring money to bear on these more commercially risky projects is good and healthy for the industry IMO, but it doesn't mean every game made this way is gonna be a winner.
  • Yeah I would agree with all of that.
    I hope Gamepass does allow for more creative freedom. Those price points are a valid barrier to entry.
    I wouldn't pay £40 for this and I like Bloober games.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Imagine you're sitting there about to release a game called "Bang Average"
  • Banga-Verage is the new release by Tonkendo Studios a B tier developer owned by SEGA operating out of Bury.
    In Banga-Verage you take on the role of the titular Verage, a cybernetic ninja who must solve the disappearance of his grand master and great uncle Zol.

Verage's jourey is a front loaded adventure of clicking through old tomes and exploring Zol's dojo and cave system below, climaxing in a boss rush of quicktime events and shmup style gameplay through the streets of downtown Banga.
    Will Verage find Zol? Or will he find something deeper along the way.

Banga-Verage uses the latest in Unreal, Havok, Bloodsport, ReadTechs and Hypefeels technologies.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’m getting the hypefeels already.
  • Trouble is, if you try and sell a game for £30 (that’s not a remaster), I sense that the market would say “what’s wrong with it?” and move on. There’s only a handful of examples of games being pitched at a deliberately lower price point and being a success. I’m thinking Carnival Games and the most recent Ratchett and Clank, but there may be others.
  • £20-25 is a fine price point for PC releases of this calibre though, especially for Bloober Team.

Layers of Fear:£4.99
    Blair Witch: £24,99
    Observer: System Redux: £23,79
    Layers of Fear 2: £23,79
    The Medium: £39.99

It's quite the jump, which may just be a price trend increase overall, but I don't think anyone would have seen The Medium for £23.79 and gone "what's wrong?" rather they'd go "it's a Bloober Team game"
  • I wrongly assumed this was also a physical release.
  • Does anyone know what the metric for a successful title on gamepass is, especially the MS ones that come out straight away on it? Can't be sales, wondering is it downloads, is it time spent by a player ok it, review scores to attract people to gamepass?
    SFV - reddave360
  • No idea, but surely The Medium is getting downloaded like hotcakes at the moment, given that most people with an S or X will be keen to play something they couldn't on an older machine.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Played the Medium for a while. Definitely not my cup of tea. Clunky as fuck, but worse than that, boring
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The jump scare was good, but if that's the only one, and the rest of it is the same stuff, it's uninstall time. Hello sadness, I'm boredom
  • Get better jump scares at a FNF second corner.
  • i was playing GTA5 online last night and found if you want jump scares, switch to first person view while driving fast cars, then the lack of peripheral vision means turning round corners leads to lots of head on collison jump scares! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • So sega sammy has split its arcade business from its game studio/ consoles/ publishing arm in a recent reshuffle.

Leading to rumours this was done to make buying the games studio/publishing element easier for............... Microsoft
    PSN - minkymu
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    In the general games news thread.
  • Ah soz
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Played the Medium for a while. Definitely not my cup of tea. Clunky as fuck, but worse than that, boring

Ahead of you there, better use of hard drive space.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'm really enjoying it, but then I likes me a walking sim and it's an interesting one of those imo. It gets prettier the more you play too.
  • It has some really nice stuff after the halfway mark. One area is very red and it’s a standout
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    How many writers went for Unhappy Medium?
  • Ooh great red

easiest way of highlighting which area i’m taking about without spoiling it for Franny.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Finished The Medium. I'm gonna go with the Eurogamer Recommended.....if you like walking sims/interactive stories. I like binging on these occasionally and thoroughly enjoyed it start to finish.

I don't think ot has any less gameplay than any other games like Gone Home, Edith, Firewatch etc. The story is interesting, there's some interesting mechanics and uses of the dual world thing and it's absolutely stunning visually (character models aside).

The puzzles are a bit easy, but there's a few decent ones in there. They could have expanded on the dual world stuff and included more, that's probably my main criticism. Other than that I've had a great time with it and it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

It's absolutely ideal for Gamepass but yeh, £40 is a bit steep.

Good stuff.

• How long did it take you Franny?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!