Hades
  • The cost of things in the shop is pretty accurate in terms of value.
  • Got to a section with Cerberus blocking the way then got absolutely wrecked in the small chambers nearby.

Some of the early bosses were different in that run too. Does the difficulty scale up as you do?
  • No there's just a pool of bosses. Difficulty is altered manually via Heat, which you'll unlock eventually.
  • Cheers. I've unlocked all the weapons now. The spear is still my jam.
  • I've got some titan blood now, but the weapon upgrades don't unlock until after your first successful run, is that right?
  • Meg cycles randomly through her sisters eventually. I'm not sure what moves it on from just meg. They are not much harder, but different and something new to learn.

I think spear is my least favourite weapon. Interested to know what boons you're aiming for with it.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Yeah the incremental upgrades you get with poms are generally not as good as a whole new boon. Cast is one thing I almost always forget to use, although the plus damage when you have casts in enemies is good for bosses.
  • Of course Hades himself
    Spoiler:
  • How many runs is that Moot? Your arcade skills are coming in handy, a lot of people don’t see the big man until the twenties or thirties.
  • I’m into 40s! And I don’t mean my age. I did struggle to git gud. Well, I’m still not good. Had 2 goes at him so far, came close on second go.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • And I'm out, what a game.  
    Tempy wrote:
    How many runs is that Moot? Your arcade skills are coming in handy, a lot of people don’t see the big man until the twenties or thirties.

Shuffling my feet here, but I started with God mode on, which adds 20% defence to Zagreus, which increases by 2% after every death.  I just finished it with 50% additional defence, which I assume means I died fifteen times.   Even so it was no pushover (actually my final run was, I'm not sure I've ever felt so gloriously powerful in a videogame).  I'd read it was an excellent way of easing the player into the systems/swifter unlocks, which it was as I'm not one to devote hours upon hours to single game, but in fairness I've only seen off the undercard at this stage - the real game starts when I toggle it off again.  I'd usually be done at this stage tbh, but there's absolute no chance I'll stop here.  It's one of the best games I've ever played.
  • ... God mode?  There is such a thing?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    ... God mode?  There is such a thing?

Yeah, it’s in the options / settings I think.
  • Well, like I say, I'm on 40-something runs and it's been an enjoyable struggle to get this far, but the Big Man will fall soon.  Just... gotta... stop playing StS!  Oh... and MHRise will be started soon...  I should just take an afternoon where I concentrate on finishing some games I'm already far into!
  • This feels like when I did the year 9 street run time trial in 12 minutes and the PE teacher said "this is a very, very, very good time" as he clicked the stopwatch and all I could wheeze out after a strong finish was "I went the wrong way sir".
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This feels like when I did the year 9 street run time trial in 12 minutes and the PE teacher said "this is a very, very, very good time" as he clicked the stopwatch and all I could wheeze out after a strong finish was "I went the wrong way sir".

This is amazing.
  • Ah, God Mode explains it. Never touch the stuff myself, heard it rots the old brain. Good work either way.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    This feels like when I did the year 9 street run time trial in 12 minutes and the PE teacher said "this is a very, very, very good time" as he clicked the stopwatch and all I could wheeze out after a strong finish was "I went the wrong way sir".

Ha!  At least you were honest. I ended up on my school cross country team because I didn't dare tell them that the school's usual cross country route went past my house, so I'd just nipped in there for a drink and a biscuit, then popped back out when I saw the pack running back.  I ended up having to take part in some God-forsaken Regional Cross Country Championship.

(Though coming back to Hades - I'd stopped playing shortly after getting to, and losing to, the Big Man himself a couple of times.  I may have to pop back on at some stage and give God Mode a try, as if my Cross Country experience had taught me nothing.)
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Ha!  At least you were honest. I ended up on my school cross country team because I didn't dare tell them that the school's usual cross country route went past my house, so I'd just nipped in there for a drink and a biscuit, then popped back out when I saw the pack running back.  I ended up having to take part in some God-forsaken Regional Cross Country Championship.

(Though coming back to Hades - I'd stopped playing shortly after getting to, and losing to, the Big Man himself a couple of times.  I may have to pop back on at some stage and give God Mode a try, as if my Cross Country experience had taught me nothing.)

And doctors have the audacity to tell us to eat fewer biscuits and exercise more?!

The audacity! Audacity!
  • I have just bought this.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Just can’t beat him. 4 or 5 tries now. :(
  • You'll get there elf. Get to maximising those abilities and you'll be melting him in no time. Also think of what big late game boons you like the best and choose the starting god that will get you to there. Even though it's random you can really influence your path with your choices.
  • Thanks. Poseidon and Ares do it for me. But I do like the Zeus Call. 

Should I choose a god and put on an accessory for them at the start so that I start with them?
  • There's lots of ways to do things, but it's typical to use a god accessory to try to get your preferred primary means of dealing damage at the start. 

Something that doesn't ever get explained - once you've had a god turn up they're more likely to be added to the 'pool' of gods you encounter during that run. That means if there's a god you don't want to see, you shouldn't pick up any of their boons from a shop, or choose them 'just because' when it's a choice between them and a pom (for example).

Maybe more worth bearing in mind when you're aiming for a specific build at higher heat levels or speed running, but could be helpful.
  • Forgot to add - once you're done with your god accessory you should swap it to something else at the first opportunity. They only summon the chosen god once, and after that they just improve the boon rarity offered by that god.
  • Fucking hell. Got to him with 4 resurrects and still died. Got him to a quarter of second bar though. Fucking yellow beams of death.
  • Just dash behind the rocks when he does that, or use a call with invulnerability.
  • I think he does only forward for a bit? I tried dashing behind him. But then starts doing 360 degree beams? First time I’ve gotten him that far so was a surprise. 

I made one mistake: took a Daedalus exchange just before him. Had money burning my wallet. It swapped out something I liked for something I didn’t. I thought I would get a choice (not bought it before) but it was random. 

Still learning after all these runs.
  • The god call I had was a bit shit. Artemis arrow. If only I had Zeus one or Poseidon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!