E3 2019 DROP THE LOAD
  • It's hard not to think they've shot themselves in the foot slightly with the Switch, as good as it is.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I dunno. The Switch is shaping up to be a worthy successor, I reckon. Which is amazing, as the 3DS is a tough act to follow.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah but now they've combined two markets it feels the handheld design it's compromised. The design of the 3ds is a stone cold classic.
  • It's hard not to think they've shot themselves in the foot slightly with the Switch, as good as it is.

I wish I could shoot myself in the foot that way, if it means raking it in.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    For me personally I don’t find the handheld design to be compromised, and I only play the Switch as a handheld. I think it’s great.
    Get schwifty.
  • No Dpad, horrible joysticks and placement, battery life, lack of clam shell. Big screen though.
  • Don’t forget games. It has teh bestest games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah but now they've combined two markets it feels the handheld design it's compromised. The design of the 3ds is a stone cold classic.

Yeah but they kinda had to.

The markets changed a lot in the last 10 years and supporting two systems in next to impossible now.

10 years ago we had two systems from both Sony and Nintendo and the 360 all selling well. Since then both Nintendo and Sony have been reduced to one.

Nintendo done well to come out on the other side.

Fair enough on the design, but that's purely down the preference and the sales would dictate the masses don't care.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    The 3DS announcement dream is dead. Bowser has confirmed no announcements.
    There will be a memorial service at my house next week. Tea and cake.
    What a fine console though. It may well be the best ever imo.

To the 3DS thread to discuss and reminisce!!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • My take from E3 is that Nintendo are the best at games, they've always been the best, and they carry on being the best...
    but i'm going full xbot thanks to game pass and the ridiculous ultimate update offer. Thanks to that I now have my gaming library for the next 2 years sorted, for about the same price as one new Nintendo game.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I think MS have done well at creating an ecosystem, their problem is their market share compared to Sony's.

They're entering iphone territory imo, by which I mean most people who have an iphone will never entertain the thought of changing to something else.

Most Xbox owners are invested for life, and with good reason. Their services are second to none.

At the moment Sony have the masses, they shouldn't rest on their laurels though. They need to give their users as good an incentive not to leave like MS have.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think MS have done well at creating an ecosystem, their problem is their market share compared to Sony's.

Not really, not if they can successfully start selling games and services to Windows 10 users.
  • Yeah that's a good point.

I was discussing with a friend the other day that they would probably prefer the Steam market compared to the home console one.

Their Xbox sales could continue to drop which would look bad on the surface for them, yet they could be raking it in on Windows.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think MS have effectively sacrificed this gen, after a poor start. 
    What they have created is an infrastructure that will serve them well going into next gen and beyond that.
    BC, Game Pass, play anywhere, streaming, all these things carry over seamlessly (if all goes to plan). Whereas Sony are faced doing the usual generational reset.
  • Consoles are closed and branded PCs these days. For me the advantages of open source will always outweigh any cost savings with a gaming service, although I can see the appeal. It sometimes feels like a race to the bottom though, and I'm not sure it'll do gaming any favours in the long run.
  • It depends if subs start to impact first week sales.
    Sales of a game are largely dead after that first week, the exceptions being Nintendo and GTA mainly.
    The fee pubs receive from sub services is, in most cases likely income that wouldnt materialise otherwise.

As an example.
    I bought and played through Arkham Knight on launch and liked it a lot (lets not start a debate on AK).
    I was keen to play it again but have it on PC nd wanted to play on Xbox. The most likely result would be I would have bought it second hand if it didnt appear on gamepass the other day.

In fact I was in CEX yesterday, I couldn't find anything I wanted because most of the games I may have picked up in the past are on Game Pass.

So, I dont see subs replacing week one sales but instead replacing preowned, piracy or no sale at all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I far prefer Sony exclusives because I'm a Yakuza / Persona man, and those games sustain me like a boss coffee, but with the gamepass/gold situation I'm playing my Xbox more now. The PS4 gets fired up when a good exclusive drops, and then gets hammered hard, but I'm Xbox for multiplats and MP now - I'm playing Apex exclusively on Xbox, for example.

PS4 will get ripped again when Death Stranding drops, and Xbox will gather dust till that one is done, then back the other way.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's a good shout Liv. Anything you can't wait for you'd still buy day one, leaving the "I'll wait until a sale/buy second hand" stuff to fill the subs. Can see me never touching a pubey second hand copy again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I did find a long dark hair in a copy of something once. I think it was Origins.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who is Origin?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    He's the EA laddy.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It depends if subs start to impact first week sales. Sales of a game are largely dead after that first week, the exceptions being Nintendo and GTA mainly. The fee pubs receive from sub services is, in most cases likely income that wouldnt materialise otherwise. As an example. I bought and played through Arkham Knight on launch and liked it a lot (lets not start a debate on AK). I was keen to play it again but have it on PC nd wanted to play on Xbox. The most likely result would be I would have bought it second hand if it didnt appear on gamepass the other day. In fact I was in CEX yesterday, I couldn't find anything I wanted because most of the games I may have picked up in the past are on Game Pass. So, I dont see subs replacing week one sales but instead replacing preowned, piracy or no sale at all.

Near bang on the same for me
    My take from E3 is that Nintendo are the best at games, they've always been the best, and they carry on being the best... but i'm going full xbot thanks to game pass and the ridiculous ultimate update offer. Thanks to that I now have my gaming library for the next 2 years sorted, for about the same price as one new Nintendo game.

And I feel I will go this way as well. If I can do 2 consoles, it will be an xbox and a Nintendo but both time and cost dictate I will probably stay on one system and given what Microsoft are offering to those who are already invested in them to a degree its hard to see me shifting. The Switch is an awesome machine with a great library of games but thats not what is the deciding factor for me anymore. Granted, every body has their own particular preferences.
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It depends if subs start to impact first week sales.
    Sales of a game are largely dead after that first week, the exceptions being Nintendo and GTA mainly.
    The fee pubs receive from sub services is, in most cases likely income that wouldnt materialise otherwise.

As an example.
    I bought and played through Arkham Knight on launch and liked it a lot (lets not start a debate on AK).
    I was keen to play it again but have it on PC nd wanted to play on Xbox. The most likely result would be I would have bought it second hand if it didnt appear on gamepass the other day.

In fact I was in CEX yesterday, I couldn't find anything I wanted because most of the games I may have picked up in the past are on Game Pass.

So, I dont see subs replacing week one sales but instead replacing preowned, piracy or no sale at all.

Yes it's a fair point, although it's heading pure digital over the next few years so second hand won't be a thing fairly soon.
  • I guess Sony will have to turn their PS Now thing into a Game Pass equivalent eventually (although not the PC aspect). It seems too big and obvious a thing to ignore at this stage.

Generally, I don't really know what machines I might buy next, but an XBox seems least likely. I may just have to get a PC at some point.
  • JonB wrote:
    Generally, I don't really know what machines I might buy next, but an XBox seems least likely. I may just have to get a PC at some point.

I feel the same regarding Xbox/PC, as decent as their showing was I'm less likely to get an Xbox because of the renewed focus on PC.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Anyone know much about Code Vein?
    Looks like one of the better From Software ripoffs.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I also like the look of 12 Minutes, for the Hitchcock overtures.
    Not exactly game of the show, but one of the few that's near completion, that I'm keen on playing.
  • Anyone know much about Code Vein? Looks like one of the better From Software ripoffs.

I was interested early on, but they've changed it quite a bit since and I'm not so keen on the new (slightly mashier) combat.

Giant Bomb have a recent quicklook of it if it helps:
    https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/code-vein-050819/2970-19253
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Cool... I'm still a latent weaboo.
    The art looks amazing
  • I'm loving this reveal!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!