PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Curtain call for Connect 6.

10 minutes people.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/OculusGB/

Should a grown man be this excited about a Keynote?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Full hand tracking on Quest and a cable to plug it into the PC and turn it into a bigboy VR headset? Not bad... not bad at all.

oooh and Passthrough+ on demand on Quest. Excellent.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Amaze at the hand tracking.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Vader epII available now!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Vader epII available now!

YES

• Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • For rift tho innit?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Doesn't matter as much anymore. With a USB c cable the quest is rift and the rift is quest...

And a half decent pc mind...
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Vader epII available now!

YES

Double yes!!!
  • All that news is good too. PC passthrough is great! Best of both worlds. Officially the switch of the VR world
  • All that news is good too. PC passthrough is great! Best of both worlds. Officially the switch of the VR world

Broken controllers and barely functional online? Zing!
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    As a launch Rift loser the whole Quest Link sounds pretty swish. I've got a lot of stuff in the Rift library that'd look nice on those newer sharper screens.
    I'd hope they sort out some kind of cable alignment a bit as having it dangling just off the front can be weird if you're swinging your arms a round; it's better to go over the back somehow. Maybe they just expect you to throw it over your shoulder and it's fine? Probably but all it'd need is a clip doodab that attaches to the back of the strap or something.  
    Having a better official audio solution would be nice too. I'd want some clip on device so that you didn't have to bugger around with more traditional headphones/earbuds. The 'all in one stuff your nut in it' idea is hard to shake.. the current piped audio thing on the Quest is ok if you don't like bass.. 

Overall a nice few little treats to come in the near future though.  

Well done evil Global megacorp. Your infinite blood riches have produced some neat tricks.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Isanbard is onboard?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Ay Hair. I've sucked from the slightly sour Facebook teat since the rift launch. You get accustomed to the flavour over time..

My only real beef with the quest is that my massive head doesn't fit in it all that well. All the straps are at max and it's ok.. bit front heavy still.. but ok.

I look forward to going full hand tracking wanker at some point and the Link cable should be a nice novelty. The og rift is quite a good deal more comfy for longer uses though for me. Still at max straps there as well... The weight balance just works out better.

Did you see that there also making it so that you can use it in dark rooms as well? For.. media consumption... Time to invest in more lube?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hand tracking wanking would be quite the thing, imagine the leaderboards for that.
  • isanbard wrote:
    ... I'd hope they sort out some kind of cable alignment a bit as having it dangling just off the front can be weird if you're swinging your arms a round; it's better to go over the back somehow. Maybe they just expect you to throw it over your shoulder and it's fine? Probably but all it'd need is a clip doodab that attaches to the back of the strap or something.  ...
    Demos at OC6 show it with a clip cabled round to back I think:  https://www.androidcentral.com/oculus-link-hands-on-five-questions-answered

oculus-quest-link.jpg

My only concern being that I think I might need a new cable - when I try to sideload copy builds to the Quest via the cable it came with it doesn't copy properly, so either that cable is just a charging one or my cable is knackered.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Hmmm.. I may have put that phrase together in haste before fully appreciating all the meanings surrounding it.

Let's see what the seedier side of the indie dev community can do with it. Japan... Now is your time.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    isanbard wrote:
    ... I'd hope they sort out some kind of cable alignment a bit as having it dangling just off the front can be weird if you're swinging your arms a round; it's better to go over the back somehow. Maybe they just expect you to throw it over your shoulder and it's fine? Probably but all it'd need is a clip doodab that attaches to the back of the strap or something.  ...
    Demos at OC6 show it with a clip cabled round to back I think:  https://www.androidcentral.com/oculus-link-hands-on-five-questions-answered

oculus-quest-link.jpg

My only concern being that I think I might need a new cable - when I try to sideload copy builds to the Quest via the cable it came with it doesn't copy properly, so either that cable is just a charging one or my cable is knackered.

I've already read somewhere that there doing their own brand of fibre-optic usb cable I think to make it much longer than current ones permit. The 5m one you get with the Rift S is fine, the one I've got with my CV1 is a touch short.

Edit.. on phone but here's the link for the cable info

It's not longer, still 5m, but lighter and twistier and high bandwidth I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/d96a7o/oculus_link_tether_oculus_quest_to_pc_via_usbc/
  • Ohhh, Vader Part 2. On it.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    With a bit of luck I'll be able to tie their fancy new ultra thin and twisty fibre-optic usb cable around my neck to try to offset the front heavy weight?
    I mean.. the whole auto erotic asphyxiation thing could just be a total bonus.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Hand tracking wanking expert mode.
  • isanbard wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    isanbard wrote:

oculus-quest-link.jpg

I've already read somewhere that there doing their own brand of fibre-optic usb cable I think to make it much longer than current ones permit. The 5m one you get with the Rift S is fine, the one I've got with my CV1 is a touch short.

Edit.. on phone but here's the link for the cable info

It's not longer, still 5m, but lighter and twistier and high bandwidth I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/d96a7o/oculus_link_tether_oculus_quest_to_pc_via_usbc/
    Mine sideloads with supplied cable just fine. So yours might knackered?
    I hear it's just a USB 2 cable and you can buy any USB 3 for mega speeds and streaming when they release it.

• pantyfire wrote:
    Mine sideloads with supplied cable just fine. So yours might knackered? ...
    Cheers for the info, I'll get onto their support.

Broken controllers and barely functional online? Zing!

I was waiting for that
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Had a mate swing by hadn't seen for years. He strapped it on and said he'd never felt anything like this before. Couldn't stop saying 'wow'.

Edit: Hands on a hawt sabre
    Spoiler:
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Oh ay.. if they just enable the Rift store as it is then it'll strip anything from anywhere and make it work. The library part of the Oculus app doesn't care where the game is actually located it just knows that it is using the Oculus api to do the vr bit. 
    It generally works pretty well and once you've started it once from wherever you buy it (Steam, Epic... the  rest.. ) then it just populates an icon in the Oculus library and you can happily launch it from there. 

Not always perfect naturally. I've had a Just Cause 3 icon in my Oculus library for some reason for years. No idea why that appeared doesn't do anything if you poke it. 
    Tetris effect certainly prefers if you boot it from Epic and make sure you choose the VR option.. stuff like that. If it has a splash screen to choose pancake or VR mode it can cause a issue here and there. 

There's probably a few more but as a rule I've stuck to the Oculus store anyway to keep stuff simpler. 

Good news though!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    I read somewhere individual devs can opt out/not support linking but don't know why they would.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Dunno.. the VR market is still pretty embryonic really. A lot of smaller teams making some smallish stuff at the end of the day. If a few folks working together want to avoid the Facebook/Palmer Luckey is a Nazi thing then they can take that call. Maybe? I see that being less of a thing as the world continues to spin perhaps?
    The Vive was Steam (massive known dev market with all the Steam support coding and infrastructure for MP & store handling et al) and the Index is there now too, fully integrated into all their systems. 

A lot of the VR MP stuff plays off a lot of social interaction guff and the various systems don't always play well together. I can only imagine it's a bollock or expense for a small team to get cross platform integration going or to make it all functional. At the very least you may be stress testing multiple servers and different setups to get it all working independently.  More of a ballache perhaps?

As I say though I'm also not too sure how flexible the Oculus store app integration ultimately is either. It works most the time..  If you have a pancake or vr splash screen that pops up to choose then it seems it's not always great. You sometimes might need to go into the Steam properties to force the Oculus api call.. If you just are a tiny dev team and want to avoid the support chaos then you could stay away?  
    I'm fairly sure that Epic funded the Tetris Effect getting to PC thing so the fact that that the VR element doesn't really play that nice with the Oculus store seems.. understandable. Enhance isn't a huge studio and I'm not sure they got the game onto Epic as it stands? Was it bashed out to a port studio? I have a feeling it was? Enhance seem to be moving onto their own new stuff after all. 

It's certainly not got the numbers behind it that your Steams or even Epics have; Fortnite brings all the boys to the yard. I like it as an OG eejit, my Home is full of assorted tat, and it's certainly getting there but it's taken a while.. Facebook money makes a chunk of difference though. It all works nice and clean. 

If the  rumours are true and the Quest keeps picking up numbers then I can see it getting less of a problem perhaps as the money rolls in?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!