META QUEST - Stand Alone VR
  • Shirley the whole point of the Quest is it's Wireless ?
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    With limited graphics yes. But to play the bigger shinier PC games you still need to be hooked up. It’s a bonus (especially for me as a former Rift owner) and gives the choice of jumping around punchy punchy or more sedate longer/bigger games like Subnautica.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    One of the best moves Oculus made. That and maintaining a good relationship with the creator of the 'homebrew' platform SideQuest. Very positive interview with him in the video below. Third of Quest owners have used it - sizeable community then.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yeah I love the fact that I'll be able to use it for Alyx but nothing, yet, has been able to beat walking a few metres around a spaceship untethered
  • Who's using the link with PC then?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I’m thinking that may be my route unless it seems shit and then who knows.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Still cogitating about if and what will suit my needs. EGPU, gaming laptop, perhaps a slim factor PC or just stick with the Quest solo. Hmmmm.
  • Just wade into the full on PC lake, getting balls deep before you even to begin to question whether this is really what you wanted all along? It’s wonderful.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m thinking that may be my route unless it seems shit and then who knows.

It’s surprisingly good. Watch the usual suspects who review it.

Ben plays VR
    Tested
    Virtual Reality Oasis
  • Superhot without a cable is, well, super hot.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Me

Have you got Elite Dangerous? I need a wingman and it's great.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve got it but I’ve only played 20 minutes of training. Seems like a lot of hard work :-)

• b0r1s wrote:
    I’ve got it but I’ve only played 20 minutes of training. Seems like a lot of hard work :-)

It is. It really is.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Superhot without a cable is, well, super hot.
    Passed me by on the Xbox. People raved about it but seemed all too stylised and gimmicky. Having a Quest and listening to views saying it was amazing in untethered VR sold it to me.

Finally played the Bone version last week for comparison and what a comedown. So two dimensional and small on a big OLED telly - it was a real shock how different a game it was. Even if your PC/console has all the graphics son, it can't convey moving your body through a 3D space. Smashing ashtrays in the face of a life size assailant, then grabbing their gun with your slick move is one of the best feelings in viddy games you are going to get.

Essential.
  • Super. Hot.

Was a standout for me, better than Beat Saber imo for vr wows.
  • I think I would have damaged my PC by now if I'd tried to play Pistol Whip tethered.

Cable is mostly for Alyx and those other experiences that don't require movement
  • How’s the link difference? I’m thinking about investing in a VR ready machine and giving it a go but it’s a big investment if it’s only an incremental boost to my wireless questing. I’ve searched online and am not entirely satisfied so some feedback would be ace. Was thinking a souped you ready VR laptop thing that I can take with me when I’m on my work travels
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Exactly what I’ve got. Great laptop and a quest. I owned a Rift. Not much difference. I’m just waiting on getting a longer cable. Contemplating the official one. It’s become the Nintendo Switch of VR. Sexy graphics and less jumping around? Plug it in. Jumpy spinny shooting and stabbing unplug.
  • What system you got? I was looking at an Alienware a51m with rtx 2080
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    God I’m nowhere near that. I have an MSI GS75 i7 and RTX 2070 MaxQ. At the time I needed a portable gaming laptop as I was travelling to the missus a lot. It’s more like a MacBook Pro form factor.

It’s got a nice 17” 1080p 144hz screen and steelseries keyboard but I paid quite a bit more for portability. It handles everything VR wise fine. And most games even RTX stuff fine at 1080p.

• Form factor sounds good, will defo look into that one. Cheers fella
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s about 9 months old now so I’m sure something new and better has come out. You also need to be aware of TDP limitations on smaller form factors. The thinner the chassis the closer the components and the less cooling can be fitting in. So throttling tends to be the end result. So you can end up paying for a laptop that can’t drive at full speed. I did a load of research and the MS75 had some of the best cooking with 3 fans, most in its class have 2. This generally allowed it to sustain the CPU and GPU for longer.

However this isn’t going to be as good as a thicker gaming laptop or desktop. Also bear in mind the Max-Q chips generally run slower than the desktop counterparts. I think it’s generally that they’d run at a class lower than the desktop. So the 2070 Max-Q is more like the 2050... I think. But I knew all this going in.

Having said all this I can run everything I have at least 60fps with the exception of Control and Metro Exodus with Global Illumination switched on. I usually have to balance out other settings if I want ray tracing on.

Older games like Dishonoured run at the max 144hz my screen can output.
  • For those with a link, Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is great.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    With this and Alyx on the horizon plus all the PCVR exclusives I'm having a huge internal battle whether to get a gaming laptop. My time says no but my dick says yeah do it. Just venting.
  • With this and Alyx on the horizon plus all the PCVR exclusives I'm having a huge internal battle whether to get a gaming laptop. My time says no but my dick says yeah do it. Just venting.

As someone who seems as much into VR as I am, it seems silly not too. I'd still recommend a small factor PC that you can upgrade, you'll save a lot in the long term. HMD's are going to get better and cheaper but GPUs are not. 

You could also buy a Chromebook and stream stuff to that from your shiny PC and you'll still save money. GPU's are going to be VR's bottleneck for years so you're going to want to upgrade reasonably often, and they have pretty good resale value so upgrading might only cost a couple of hundred if you're canny. 

My 2070 Super was less than £500 and I got over £200 for my last card.
  • A bargain.
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Boozy, time is money, and you can't buy it. Don't know what that even means, but speaking of things temporal...
    Getting back my £16 because this game needs a proper Doctor (it's riddled with painfully implemented grab mechanics and annoying, repetitive voice overs.) Shame really.

94v69F4.jpg

Plus it looks really rough compared to titles like Red Matter and Vader Immortal.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    SG, thanks for the advice, but like Boris and James, portability would be the biggest factor. Not the size so much, but having an integrated screen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!